Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TM ahead of South Korea | Discussion, Photos, Videos...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S. Korea looks to qualify for World Cup with win over Iran

ULSAN, June 17 (Yonhap) -- South Korea will try to book a ticket to the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil in style, as it readies to host continental rival Iran in an Asian qualification match here this week.

The kickoff will be 9 p.m. Tuesday at Munsu Football Stadium in Ulsan, about 410 kilometers southeast of Seoul. It will be the final World Cup qualifier for both countries.

South Korea enters the match as the leader of Group A with 14 points on four wins, two draws and one loss. Iran is in second at 13 points with four wins, one draw and two losses. Uzbekistan sits in third with 11 points.

There are two groups of five nations in the final qualification round in Asia, and only the top two countries from each group will directly qualify for the 2014 World Cup. The two third-place teams will meet in a playoff for the right to take on a South American opponent in an intercontinental playoff.

South Korea is in a prime position to qualify for its eighth consecutive World Cup. Even a draw against Iran will give South Korea an automatic spot in the quadrennial tournament. Even with a loss, South Korea will also most likely advance thanks to its superior goal difference.

Yet, South Korean head coach Choi Kang-hee and his players have frequently talked about their desire to advance with a win. Choi said South Korea will play "an aggressive game" and will look to shore up the midfield to dictate the pace of the match.

Iran is in a deeper hole. If Iran loses to South Korea and Uzbekistan defeats the underdog Qatar in their finales, Iran will finish third in the group. If Iran manages a draw and Uzbekistan wins by at least five goals, Iran will still fall to third place on goal difference.

In their previous meeting in October of last year in Tehran, Iran defeated South Korea 1-0. It remains South Korea's only loss in the final qualification round so far. Iran played most of the second half a man short after Masoud Shojaei was sent off on a hard foul on Oh Beom-seok.

Iran holds the edge in all-time meetings with 10 wins, nine losses and seven draws.

There will be no love lost between the rivals on Tuesday. Head coaches of the two teams have engaged in some trash talking since last week. After beating Uzbekistan 1-0 last Tuesday, South Korean coach Choi Kang-hee said he'd prefer to advance to the World Cup with Uzbekistan rather than with Iran.

Choi also said his players still remember some "poor treatment" that they received in Iran last fall, including late issuing of visas and getting assigned practice facilities with subpar pitch conditions. These memories prompted Choi to say, "I think we must give (Iran) pain."

Carlos Queiroz, the Portuguese coach for Iran, quickly shot back, saying Choi's comments were "shameful," demanding the South Korean coach apologize to the Iranians.

In response, Choi accused Queiroz of trying to turn football into politics and said, "I'd just like to say Queiroz will be watching the World Cup next year on television at his home in Portugal."

Verbal jabs aside, South Korea will once again look to forward Son Heung-min to provide an offensive spark. The 20-year-old, who recently left Hamburger SV for Bayer Leverkusen in the Bundesliga league, made his first start in the final qualification round against Uzbekistan last week to mixed success.

He started as a striker alongside the towering Kim Shin-wook and had some moments of brilliance. Yet it was when Son was moved down to the wing in the second half that he showed more energy and creativity that made him a hotly pursued player among European clubs this summer.

On defense, South Koreans will have to contain midfielder Javad Nekounam. He scored the winner against South Korea last fall and also chipped in two goals in Iran's 4-0 win over Lebanon last week. One of Iran's all-time greats with 131 caps at age 32, Nekounam also plays an integral role in keeping opponents at bay in midfield.

In the latest blow to its already shaky backline, South Korea may be without key defensive back and captain Kwak Tae-hwi on Tuesday. Kwak suffered a hamstring injury during the game against Uzbekistan and has sat out recent practice sessions. Kwak, who has started every match in the final qualification round, could be replaced by either Jung In-hwan or Kim Ki-hee, who have appeared in just six international matches combined.

jeeho@yna.co.kr
    (END)

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/cult...00900315F.HTML

Comment

These geeks actually flow well. Not a bad track as far as flow and delivery loll.

Doesn't the chorus sound like they're saying "Torobcheh" ?

I think they're saying "I hope Iran doesn't eat us like Sabzi and TOROBCHEH TOROBCHECH TOROBCHECH"

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post
        The key is keeping focus. More than half of the Korean team that will play us on Tuesday is different than the one we played in Azadi. Their midfield is relatively inexperienced as opposed to the midfield one they had in Azadi. Their captain will not play. This is the time to knock them off their perch for being arrogant jerks to our country.
        Our response to the Koreans when we score a goal will be
        I seen this video few months back... truly wack and corny

Comment

Do the Koreans really think we're grass-rollers? Since when? Cuz of one incident with Rahmati? What about the rest of our football history?

Comment

score will be seth- dul (in korean) means seh do 3-2
            although i had dream of 3-1

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
              score will be seth- dul (in korean) means seh do 3-2
              although i had dream of 3-1
              seth= se
              dul=do

Interesting

seems like their language was influenced by Persian.

Comment

its okay let them have this illusion because its the only thing they will have when the game ends on tuesday.
                btw LOL at the puppet show(vid)

Comment

Is it just me or have koreans become the shittiest fans in Asia?
                  lol watch these kids, they made a song just about the SK.v.iran game

Comment

Lets make our own! Kc McElroy will be in the lead role! Come on KC! make one!!

Comment

^ don't worry, they will make a sad song soon. Its so important for them to win against Iran, like they win the world cup? Its because they have been lucky to qualify and they know it themselves, therfore they want to earn some respect and ofcourse, its because of the 6-2 and our constant beating their behind in our history of competitions.

Its a FACT that only Iran has beaten them every time they want and with embarrassing result..

its ok, lets see their video after the game.
                      Last edited by webmaster; 06-16-2013, 11:19 PM.
                      __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
                      We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Comment

south korea HAS already qualified.
                        lets be realistic, fellas
                        barring a mathematical improbability (like iran beating korea by 3 AND - not 'or' - uzbeks scoring 4-5), they are already in brazil.

Comment

You know what pisses me off the most?

Fans from both sides are obviously trash talking and arguing. Their fans have even started to use foul language and say racially charged things.

But not once have I seen one of their fans apologizing for other people's comments... but so many Iranians on PFDC and BS come and make statements like
                          "I'm sorry for these other Iranians, don't mind them they are stupid" or they tell other Iranians "Just stop it, why are you talking like this?"

Why do we have mad people like this? Bunch of pussies thinking they're being mature, when in reality they're just betraying their own countrymen... they're all trying to get a few likes from the Koreans by putting down their own people... but not once have I seen a Korean do the same... I swear if this wasn't online.... you know what

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
                            south korea HAS already qualified.
                            lets be realistic, fellas
                            barring a mathematical improbability (like iran beating korea by 3 AND - not 'or' - uzbeks scoring 4-5), they are already in brazil.
                            I completely agree DD jan but at the same time you know that all of us have a small desire for Korea to go third place to Uzbekistan because of the whole situation their manager started
                            sunt lacrimae rerum et mentem mortalia tangunt

Comment

^ actually no.. I want Korea to qualify because they are more experienced than Uzbek and will not make Asia look as bad as new and inexperienced teams like Uzbekistan. I know Uzbek has shown a great improvement but they need to show more, at club level and etc.
                              We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented

Comment

Originally posted by webmaster View Post
                                Trust me that team melli knows that if they win against Korea this is what they get.. so God PLEASE help them WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ATTACH]12780[/ATTACH]
                                mmm the girl on the far right looks so yummy

Comment

Working...
                                X