Defence wins championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defence wins championships

Gentleman: We have been lucky enough for the past 8 years to witness 2 completely different styles of play mostly with the same group of players

I dont want to say anything bad about Mr Ghalenoie, He earned my respect. I thank you for your efforts.
    I also dont want to insult Queiroz, I love him for changing our football and earning respect for us

However, Queiroz is right... We need to secure our backline and win game 1-0 or 2-1 Never mind this 3 or 4 goal a game thrillers

Quieroz style is over conservative but in sports defense wins championships not offence.

I knew that eventually under ghalenoie style our defence was too soorakh and would concede more than we can score, However its super hard luck that Sadeh, Morteza and Majid were out

Quieroz was overly dramatic and made the players nervous so thats why we lost to iraq (williams was his fault) and that debacle vs Japan in 2019 was on CQ as well.

Its a shame we lost like this, I am gutted I love this team but its time for me to emotionally remove myself as it seems it doesnt matter what we do, the team is cursed for obvious reasons which I wont get into
    WE ARE THE UNDER DOGS

We conceded on 2 deflections and a wonder goal.

Not sure what defense could have done.

Comment

100% accurate. There are surprisingly a lot of apologists here saying, it wasn't that bad, at least it was exciting to concede in every game. Idk, are they the ones who like to go bungee jumping with cheap equipment for "the thrill"? I don't get it. We clearly played badly most of the tournament, the commentators were referencing it in every game that we were struggling. In 2019, everyone was calling us to beat Japan because of how dominant we were. This time, I saw plenty of betting websites and pundits saying Qatar had a great chance of beating us since our flaws were so apparent all tournament. Again, some like us being exciting and being a laughing stock, while others like you and I prefer that we dominate where we should. We are a laughing stock, some of you might not have friends, but mine are texting me things like "wtf, how do you beat Japan and lose to Qatar?"

Reminiscent of people saying, how do you not make the world cup and North Korea did in 2010. Some don't get embarrassed easily I guess! Maybe in 2026 when we get embarrassed again with Ghalenoei they'll learn, but honestly, Iranians are stubborn and will always pick the worse option in most aspects in life. It's in our blood, it's not a curse, it's us. Choosing to continue with Ghalenoei reminds me of many other terrible decisions in our history, because "hey, it can't get any worse, right?" Spoiler: It does and it will continue to going forward. Complacency with mediocrity is our biggest failure. We should be pushing IFF to replace Ghalenoei with someone with a brain while we can now (the longer we wait in the WCQ cycle, the less chance someone has to come and build anything/get accustomed to our football.

The logic that a vatani coach won't do much, but a foreign coach costs more and might not do much better is the saddest, weakest, and most pathetic worldview I've ever seen. We deserve nothing as a people with low self-respect like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post

Bro, stop. CQ literally never allowed 3 goals like this with his style in one match. Maybe against England? Stop the bs, good defense is a tactic, we didn't have it today, got wrecked, stop trying to justify it. Nobody is believing your coping. How did we never have "lucky deflections and wondergoals" for so long, but we got scored on in every game this tournament but one against Hong Kong? Your logic makes 0 sense.

Comment

Thank God we won all the trophies with CQ defence. Mashallaaaah!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Afat11 View Post

Bro, stop. CQ literally never allowed 3 goals like this with his style in one match. Maybe against England? Stop the bs, good defense is a tactic, we didn't have it today, got wrecked, stop trying to justify it. Nobody is believing your coping. How did we never have "lucky deflections and wondergoals" for so long, but we got scored on in every game this tournament but one against Hong Kong? Your logic makes 0 sense.
            Are you trying to say we didn't play some brutal games under CQ?

Comment

under cq system
              1st goal doesnt happen, a solid defensive line doesnt get scored on a counter
              the wonder goal never ever happens because he would have been marked tight
              and a proper backline would ensure the 3rd goal was offside
              WE ARE THE UNDER DOGS

Comment

used to back in da day

not anymore

anymore you need a more Balanced Approach and Tactical Adaptability on the go..!! Plus a tad bit of Good LUCK when it comes to winning such hazfy type tourneys..!

Comment

Originally posted by Afat11 View Post

Try addressing what he said.

Two of their goals WERE off of deflections, and that's not a defensive issue, "BRO".

Comment

Are you trying to say we didn't play some brutal games under CQ?
                    Honestly, over 8 years, I think it's about the same number as I counted during GN's 2023 Asian Cup run. Iran in 2015 and 2019 Asian cups > 6 goals conceded total (3 against Iraq and 3 against Japan).

GN > concedes 7 goals in just 1 tournament. Again, would we have even conceded 3 against Iraq without the bs call? Unlikely. I can't think of games as bad as Syria/Qatar performances under CQ, but please enlighten me. I don't count games with 0 shot on target against us as "bad performances" either. Please, enlighten me, I remember Oman friendly where we were experimenting and lost, so I'll give that to you too. But please, I watch all the games, tell me when we were leaking goals and getting embarrassed under CQ that I haven't acknowledged. It's sad that we're grasping at straws to remember bad performances over 8 years to compare to 1 week under GN.

Two teams that play closer to CQ's counterattacking football are in the finals and all the teams managed by dullards with all the talent at their expense and playing "ChaInZ OFf" possession football are all out. Does that tell you anything? Not saying CQ would win this, but with the state of the Asian heavyweights in this tournament, it's a definite what if. Do you really believe that we didn't lose this game and have troubles in defense the whole tournament? That it wasn't the most glaring and apparent issue and reason we're out? Did you really think we played good defense at all this tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter View Post

Try addressing what he said.

Two of their goals WERE off of deflections, and that's not a defensive issue, "BRO".
                      I did, how can a team not have deflections for 8 years, and just start getting unlucky in January/February 2024? It's funny, Skocic had similar "bad luck" getting such goals scored on him. I guess CQ was just the luckiest guy in the world to go through multiple Asian Cups and WCQ cycles where we had runs of several clean sheets?

My point is it's not luck "BERRRO", a proper defensive shape wouldn't let those deflections to happen, especially the last goal, which was just a complete lack of defensive structure. A defensive minded coach wouldn't have his defense organized like that to let "luck" fall into his opponent's lap like that. Is the point addressed now or are you just going to be a dense bro? Some of you are laughable seriously.

Would CQ's defense ever let a goal like Almoez's in or the first goal? Can someone find me 2 examples against any similar quality team to Qatar during CQ's tenure? I can find you probably 40 games where the other teams didn't have a shot on target, but nobody is giving me examples of our defense looking clueless and making costly errors resulting in goals as we've seen just from these past couple of weeks. It is the defense that prevents goals, it's not luck. You make your luck and leaving gaps and openings is not based on fortune, it's stupidity, which GN displayed today to the whole world.

Japan's goal was a lucky deflection too, similar to the first goal today. Why is our luck so bad!! If only we had the defenders in the right positions against Japan, their guy wouldn't have had a free run and shot on goal for such a tokhmi goal like the first goal today.

Comment

100% we need to play a proper structure and solid defense BECAUSE OF OUR MENTAL ISSUES

we are not Barcelona.

Play defence, dont F up which we are prone to, and wait for magic which we have talent to produce. ( see morocco game; a cq masterclass)
                        WE ARE THE UNDER DOGS

Comment

Ostaad,,
                          Is not about deflection. On Moez Ali goal he was dancing freely between our D deflection or not!
                          I don't blame central D today but Ramin was terrible so was Hajsafi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Iran_19 View Post

Ostaad,,
                            Is not about deflection. On Moez Ali goal he was dancing freely between our D deflection or not!
                            I don't blame central D today but Ramin was terrible so was Hajsafi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            What about Afifs goal where 4 defenders are there, but no one closes out on him.

Comment

We conceded 7 goals this tournament, which is too much given our opponents level (Japan excluded). The warning signs had been there since last year, even Kyrgyzstan and Afghanistan scored on us easily. A good defence is definitely needed in order to win a tournament. Not saying im a fan of Mourinho football though.

Comment

Working...
                              X