Team Melli Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team Melli Trivia

I'm not nor have I ever been a GN fan but I was really shocked to see so many negative comments about him after such a stellar performance against Japan, with some people still praising CQ!

Credit must be given when credit is due and we have to be as excited and pumped up for our next match as possible, so I thought it would be nice to do a little TM trivia comparing the two.

There's no prize for getting these right, only bragging rights!

CQ was in charge of TM for 8 years. GN has been in charge of TM for less than a year (I'm excluding his last stint in charge).

1 - What was/is TM's longest unbeaten streak under each coach?

2 - How long was CQ in charge of TM before beating Japan on foreign soil?

3 - How many times did TM come back from a goal down to win a match with CQ as manager?

4 - How many times has TM come back from a goal down to win a match with GN as manager?

5 - How many times did each coach win a match in a penalty shoot-out?

6 - What is the "win percentage" (ratio of matches won vs. total matches played) for each coach?

7 - How many countries did each coach beat in the final stage of a major tournament who had a higher FIFA ranking at the time we played them?

8 - What was/is each coach's goal difference in the final stage of the Asian Cup?

TM before CQ: image.png

Comment

Originally posted by aariaa View Post
      TM before CQ:
      Supposing that had any relevance to the discussion, at least be genuine about it. This was the TM squad in the last competitive match before CQ:

https://www.teammelli.com/matchdata/...ls.php?id=2431

In our first competitive match 10 Months after CQ was in charge, that squad was practically unchanged with the exception of players who were either too old or no longer in form.​

Comment

Even Skocic did well with the team CQ built. Your comparison will be fair after our players retire and GN gets to build his own team from scratch.

Comment

So the only one who didn't do well with the "team CQ built" was CQ?!

We're comparing two coaches with the same players available to them. What you're suggesting is let's wait so we can compare apples to oranges.
          Last edited by Bi-honar; 02-04-2024, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Oh, because obviously, drawing parallels between a coach that reconstructed an entire team who struggled with Asian World Cup qualifiers and a coach handed a squad full of European legionaries in their prime is the epitome of sound reasoning. You are absolutely correct and I am the one comparing apples to oranges.

Comment

These comparisions are stupid and meaningless.
              Furthermore the questions are very biased towards making CQ look bad. I dont have a horse in this race. I dont Care and support whoever is a TM manager, but the questions isnt fair

How long was CQ in charge of TM before beating Japan on foreign soil? You are acting like he played Them 10 times in 1 years.

How many times did TM come back from a goal down to win a match with CQ as manager? One could say that CQs teams normally didnt Fall behind to Kenya and Burkina Faso.

How many times did each coach win a match in a penalty shoot-out? How is that relevant?

How many countries did each coach beat in the final stage of a major tournament who had a higher FIFA ranking at the time we played them? Sorry but CQ played against Portugal, Argentina, Spain, USA and Nigeria who were higher placed than us. And actually did quiet well. You cant compare winning against Japan and say “why didnt you beat Argentina”

Why didnt you ask if teams like Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan and so on used to score against Iran when CQ was in charge?

Again i dont want to compare Them. Just to show that these bias questions are meaningless. Lets enjoy our success instead

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kian H View Post
                  The questions are very biased towards making CQ look bad
                  They are just questions. The answers are stats and facts. Stats and facts aren't biased.

If you think otherwise, feel free to give me 3 or 4 questions (the answers to which are stats/facts not opinions) that are biased toward CQ, as examples.

One could say that CQs teams normally didnt Fall behind to Kenya and Burkina Faso.
                  Funny, I remember losing to Guinea and struggling against Angola!
                  Last edited by Bi-honar; 02-04-2024, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aariaa View Post
                    Oh, because obviously, drawing parallels between a coach that reconstructed an entire team who struggled with Asian World Cup qualifiers and a coach handed a squad full of European legionaries in their prime is the epitome of sound reasoning. You are absolutely correct and I am the one comparing apples to oranges.
                    You seem very intent on avoiding the comparisons we can make right now and bringing up a comparison we can't do for quite some time.

Nobody's questioning CQ's team-building ability but if you like we can do that comparison when the time comes, maybe in a year or two when the team has been rebuilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Bi-honar View Post

They are just questions. The answers are stats and facts. Stats and facts aren't biased.

If you think otherwise, feel free to come up with 3 or 4 questions (the answers to which are stats/facts not opinions) that are biased toward CQ.
                      As I said, how many times did CQ conceed goals against minor teams? GN has 7 clean sheets in 18 matches. Most of these games are against inferior opponents. CQ team wouldnt have conceeded in many of Those games.

But there are many nuances to this. Or how many New players have GN introduced.
                      your stats are biased because you only bring stats in favour of GN and some arent even nessecarily good, like the one coming from behind to win.

All these debates are a waste of time. CQ is gone, let him be

Comment

As I said, how many times did CQ conceed goals against minor teams
                        The term minor is rather subjective but in the first 18 matches in charge of TM, these are the number of goals we conceded against "minor teams":

CQ: 9
                        GN: 5-7 (depending on whether a team that is in the Round of 16 or Quarterfinals of the Asian Cup would be considered "minor")

How many New players have GN introduced.
                        I'm not sure about the relevance of this metric. I can become the coach of TM and introduce 24 new players. It's the results after that matter not how many new players I introduced. It's also way too open ended (in what period, for what type of match, etc.). But if you insist...

For their 1st competitive match after being in charge of TM for at least 10 months, this is the number of players on the squad who made their TM debut under each respective coach:

CQ: 4
                        GN: 4

I hope after all that work we can agree that it is VERY difficult to make questions involving stats or facts biased!

Comment

Originally posted by Bi-honar View Post

I hope after all that work we can agree that it is VERY difficult to make questions involving stats or facts biased!

No we dont. Its so easy to cherry Pick betweeen facts to make one look better than the other. I even gave you several examples. Like the coming from behind to win and beating teams rated higher than Iran.

Im not a CQ fanatic so I dont want to bring 100 things to make him look Great and make GN look bad. There probably is a CQ lover and GN hater out there, who wants to do it. But not me. I Think its pathetic and your examples means nothing in the bigger picture.

Comment

Okay, since this thread didn't get much traction, I'll just put the answers for those who are interested

1 - What was/is TM's longest unbeaten streak under each coach? 18/18

2 - How long was CQ in charge of TM before beating Japan on foreign soil? Trick question. We played Japan twice under CQ but never beat them.

3 - How many times did TM come back from a goal down to win a match with CQ as manager? Never

4 - How many times has TM come back from a goal down to win a match with GN as manager? 3 times so far

5 - How many times did each coach win a match in a penalty shoot-out? CQ 0 / GN 1

6 - What is the "win percentage" (ratio of matches won vs. total matches played) for each coach? CQ: 59.4% / GN: 83.3% (excluding his first stint)

7 - How many countries did each coach beat in the final stage of a major tournament who had a higher FIFA ranking at the time we played them? 1 each

8 - What was/is each coach's goal difference in the final stage of the Asian Cup? CQ: +13 / GN: +6 (excluding his first stint)

Comment

The copium with CQ fans is relentless. The goal posts constantly get moved. It used to be "let's see if GN can beat Japan, we are soorakh and we will beg for CQ back", now that Japan has been beaten, it's "let's see if he can beat Qatar, that's the real test". The small chance that TM does win the AFC cup, it's then going to be "GN needs to take TM to the WC", and if that happens, then its going to be "GN needs to take them out of the group stage", and the 0.01% chance that happens, CQ camp is still not going to accept that CQ has been surpassed since the justification will be that the WC format has changed.

I am neither in the CQ camp or GN camp. As long as the coach is getting results, team is improving and we are winning matches, then so be it.

Comment

Working...
                              X