Australia not a likeable team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australia not a likeable team?

Why is it so hard to like Australia? I have tried hard to find something with them to like about but it's so damn hard. I mean the whole team, to be honest, generally in all sport, even when I watch Volleyball. I really dont know if it has to do with our football history with them, particularly 1998 in Melbourne and everything they did before the game, all the preparations and BS talk before the game or something else.

But not liking them, doesn't mean they are a bad team, in the contrary, they are imo one of the favourite to reach the final because I think they will beat whoever the winner will be between KSA and SK.

Meanwhile, they just beat Indonesia 4-0.

Do you guys like Australia and I mean not Australian people but Australian teams like their national team in football?
    Last edited by Essi; 01-28-2024, 07:42 AM.

Originally posted by Essi View Post
    Why is it so hard to like Australia? I have tried hard to find something with them to like about but it's so damn hard. I mean the whole team, to be honest, generally in all sport, even when I watch Volleyball. I really dont know if it has to do with our football history with them, particularly 1998 in Melbourne and everything they did before the game, all the preparations and BS talk before the game or something else.

But not liking them, doesn't mean they are a bad team, in the contrary, they are imo one of the favourite to reach the final because I think they will beat whoever the winner will be between KSA and SK.

Do you guys like Australia and I mean not Australian people but Australian teams/sportsman?
    I think Australians tend to be a lot more laidback than Americans or Europeans and I was born in US.

It's probably to do with that history although you remember the guy who tore the net was a guy with a history of stupid stunts.

We used to make teams listen to Azan Maghreb while waiting for kickoff which would make me hate Irans team if I wasnt Iranian to be fair.

Their team isnt attractive to watch because they are a physical team with not so much technique compared to prior versions. In Asia though being physically fitter than your opponent is enough to take you to at least the QFs/close to World cup qualifying.

Comment

Strange thing to post. Such a vague question about disliking or liking all Australian sportsman and women. Some are admirable and legends of their respective sport, some have very unlikeable personalities and even stoop to cheating (just ask cricket fans). But that not a symptom of being Australian. Almost every big country in sport can be regarded the same.

Their national football team have something to admire about it. The squad is bereft of anything close to a quality or star player. Probably the most untalented generation of players since I've been watching football. It's made up of players from English 2nd and 3rd tier teams, Scotland, Belgium, etc... and yet, they're definitely a contender for this tournament and surpassed expectations at the World Cup because of their heart and the unity they play with.

I'd love for once to see a TM squad play beyond their ability on the world stage like this current generation of Australian players do, we might actually qualify for the knockout stages of a world cup for once if we did.

Just seems harsh to say you dislike a whole team because maybe one or two players have a prickly personality or attitude toward their opposition that make them seem unlikeable.

The 98 stuff... it's not uncommon for big nations to behave this way. British, American, Australian media has a habit of being dismissive, patronising and/or sometimes down right openly ridicules other nations they deem inferior to their teams due to lack of reputation in the specific sport. Generally you'll find the actual players are professionally respectful of their opposition in media duties.

Comment

Originally posted by Malkay View Post
        Strange thing to post. Such a vague question about disliking or liking all Australian sportsman and women. Some are admirable and legends of their respective sport, some have very unlikeable personalities and even stoop to cheating (just ask cricket fans). But that not a symptom of being Australian. Almost every big country in sport can be regarded the same.

Just seems harsh to say you dislike a whole team because maybe one or two players have a prickly personality or attitude toward their opposition that make them seem unlikeable.
        Oh I'm very sorry to offend you sir but as I mentioned, my post was essentially related to their football but also Volleyball team since I have seen play lot of times against Iran. Maybe I need to edit my post. And NO it's not Harsch to NOT LIKE a team. It happens every fan in every sport. Please keep in mind, if I said "Hate", that might have been harsh, but disliking is not harsh. I mean I dont like Juventus, AC Milan or Barcelona. And I mean the whole team. Is that harsh? Then may it be.

And with all due respect, if it's strange post, then you dont need to waste your time to reply such a long reply. And I'm not trying to be disrespectful.

Comment

Isn't it just the same deal as Britain and America - teams from wealthy nations which run the media and as a result have elements of arrogance and exceptionalism in their fantasies.

I actually find Australia's football team more likeable than their other teams, even if I hate watching the way their play and some of their fanbase

Their former players are also much more worldly and respectful towards Iranians - guys like Craig Foster and Tim Cahill are good people and they have some great ambassadors of the sport (eg compare with some of the racists in the USA 98 squad and what they have said since)

Comment

Respect Tim Cahill. Otherwise, could care less about Australian football or footballers.

Comment

Originally posted by diz View Post
              Respect Tim Cahill. Otherwise, could care less about Australian football or footballers.
              indeed, there are maybe couple of players that are likeable but as a team I simply can't find them likeable and would never cheer for them.

Comment

Personally I would rather put up with 3 months a year of cold weather than to live in a secluded island 10 hours Way from other civilizations

Australia sucks. No offense.
                WE ARE THE UNDER DOGS

Comment

Fozzy is a really good guy - he now works tirelessly in human rights

https://www.facebook.com/fozzfootbal...27256489399775

"Australia played against Iran in a famous World Cup qualifier in 1997. Though infamous from our perspective, it forged a bond between Australia and Iran and a lasting connection of friendship between us."

Imagine how many other players would have said that about a team who prevented them from getting their world cup debut...?

I have tried hard to find something with them to like about but it's so damn hard.
                  Maybe not the boring/tokhmi way they play, but the humanity and respect of some of their former players, particularly towards our players and Iran in general, which is the opposite of Lalas, sampson and a lot of the things said by former american or british isles players not just about iranian footballers but Iran and iranian culture.

Comment

Jackson Irvine has great taste in music.

Comment

Originally posted by Medzdidz View Post
                      Jackson Irvine has great taste in music.

Comment

Do you guys like Australia and I mean not Australian people but Australian teams like their national team in football?
                        From my neck of the woods, Aussie teams project too much banter...jingoism, and pride. So I am happy when they lose.

But I must say that I am happy Aussies are in the AFC. Good for everyone.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone who has backpacked through Europe can tell you why it's so easy to dislike Aussies...

Comment

Since the 1997, I hated this team. Also I am not fan of NT being a melting pot of lot of different nationalities (quite ironic when remembered the arrogant racist attitude they had towards us). But with time, specially now their players are some nobody and we didn't play them, the hate fade away.

Now I am pretty neutral towards them, I am happy when they represent AFC well in wc even if they style isn't pleasant to watch. If we play them again, maybe 1997 will come back

Comment

Originally posted by The View Post
                              Anyone who has backpacked through Europe can tell you why it's so easy to dislike Aussies...
                              Tell me about it. The absolute worst!

Comment

Working...
                              X