Scouting on South Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scouting on South Korea

We will likely play them in the quarter-finals based on the bracket organization, after hopefully beating the R16 team. After the 2-0 defeat last year and them knocking us out in 2007 under GN and in 2011, alongside the comments that Klinnsman made in the World Cup - demeaning Iranian character, this will could be set to be one of the most important matches in our modern history. South Korea is the team to beat to reach the final, and it will be a very tough task.

I think it'll be important to know everything about their team - tactics, matchups, defensive capabilities, attacking threats, and suppose how best we could counter them.

I'll plan on updating this thread with how their players are doing in Europe, updates in their friendlies, etc. I think it deserves its own thread given the stakes of the game and how this is creeping up quickly.

Recent Results in 2023 (Have not won in the past 5 games under Klinnsman)

South Korea 2-2 Colombia, 24 March
    South Korea 1-2 Uruguay, 28 March
    South Korea 0-1 Peru, 16 June
    South Korea 1-1 El Salvador, 20 June
    South Korea 0-0 Wales, 7 of September

To come:

vs Saudi, 12 September
    vs Tunisia, 13 October

In AC Group:
    with Bahrain, Jordan, Malaysia

Players to Watch:

Kim Min Jae - Bayern Munich (Germany), star centerback
    Hwang In Boem - Belgrade (Serbia)
    Son - Tottenham - (England), star player, can play left winger or forward
    Lee Jae Sung - Mainz (Germany)
    Hwang Hee Chan Wolverhampton (England), 27 year old very pacey left winger
    Yang Hyun Jun - Celtic (Scotland), 21 yr old rising star midfielder
    Cho Gue Sung - Midtjlland (Denmark)
    Hwang Ui Jo - Norwich (England), star striker
    Lee Kang in - PSG (France), rising star midfielder
    Jeong Woo Yeung - Stuttgart (Germany), 23 yr old rising star midfielder
    Kim Young Gwon - 33 year old veteran LB who plays in Korea

I would say that Kim Min Jae is now their star, or at least their most important player

Napoli look like they've lost their entire defense with his departure

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

As long as Klinsmann is their coach we have a chance. Their fans are very upset with him.

Comment

What's the point of scouting South Korea and mocking Klinsmann, when our own general is busy calling Mirzapoorhamidi and the like between two nuggests?

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
          As long as Klinsmann is their coach we have a chance. Their fans are very upset with him.
          Going to be a very tough game. SK's talent playing in Europe is superior to us, their stars are in form. Even with a clueless coach - huge downgrade from Bento - they'll be super competitive

Comment

Originally posted by Hosseini View Post
            We will likely play them in the quarter-finals based on the bracket organization, after hopefully beating the R16 team. After the 2-0 defeat last year and them knocking us out in 2007 under GN and in 2011, alongside the comments that Klinnsman made in the World Cup - demeaning Iranian character, this will could be set to be one of the most important matches in our modern history. South Korea is the team to beat to reach the final, and it will be a very tough task.

I think it'll be important to know everything about their team - tactics, matchups, defensive capabilities, attacking threats, and suppose how best we could counter them.

I'll plan on updating this thread with how their players are doing in Europe, updates in their friendlies, etc. I think it deserves its own thread given the stakes of the game and how this is creeping up quickly.

Recent Results in 2023 (Have not won in the past 5 games under Klinnsman)

South Korea 2-2 Colombia, 24 March
            South Korea 1-2 Uruguay, 28 March
            South Korea 0-1 Peru, 16 June
            South Korea 1-1 El Salvador, 20 June
            South Korea 0-0 Wales, 7 of September

To come:

vs Saudi, 12 September
            vs Tunisia, 13 October

In AC Group:
            with Bahrain, Jordan, Malaysia

Players to Watch:

Kim Min Jae - Bayern Munich (Germany), star centerback
            Hwang In Boem - Belgrade (Serbia)
            Son - Tottenham - (England), star player, can play left winger or forward
            Lee Jae Sung - Mainz (Germany)
            Hwang Hee Chan Wolverhampton (England), 27 year old very pacey left winger
            Yang Hyun Jun - Celtic (Scotland), 21 yr old rising star midfielder
            Cho Gue Sung - Midtjlland (Denmark)
            Hwang Ui Jo - Norwich (England), star striker
            Lee Kang in - PSG (France), rising star midfielder
            Jeong Woo Yeung - Stuttgart (Germany), 23 yr old rising star midfielder
            Kim Young Gwon - 33 year old veteran LB who plays in Korea
            Kim Young Gwon is center back not left back. He is very popular in Korea cause he comes up in big matches. He scored against Germany in 2018 World Cup and against Portugal last World Cup that's something really impressive for a player that never played in Europe. They couldn't ask better duo (Kim Min-Jae and Kim Young Gwon)

They really are in a great time in individual terms but really the results of Klinnsman are scared. But we should always take Korea very serious in AC

Comment

Agree that only their coach is the weak link, can't think of a worse coach in modern football.

In terms of players, they went from being equal to us on transfermarkt.de calue to four times our value over the last 12 months. That's a hell of a trajectory for their individual players

Comment

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
                Agree that only their coach is the weak link, can't think of a worse coach in modern football.

In terms of players, they went from being equal to us on transfermarkt.de calue to four times our value over the last 12 months. That's a hell of a trajectory for their individual players

Prize of beating Portugal at World Cup. Same with Japan, they have blown up, all eyes on them

Comment

Originally posted by Pluto2000 View Post

Prize of beating Portugal at World Cup. Same with Japan, they have blown up, all eyes on them
                  Disagree, the trajectory started a few months earlier for Korea, and a few years for Japan

Many of the Japanese and Korean players moved to teams well before world cup. I can't think of any huge signing which happened after world cup

Stuttgart has had a core of 3-4 Japanese players for years, let alone the other teams. Even in mid-2022, Japan could field 3-4 squads of good European -based players

Comment

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post

Disagree, the trajectory started a few months earlier for Korea, and a few years for Japan

Many of the Japanese and Korean players moved to teams well before world cup. I can't think of any huge signing which happened after world cup

Stuttgart has had a core of 3-4 Japanese players for years, let alone the other teams. Even in mid-2022, Japan could field 3-4 squads of good European -based players

I should have clarified, I actually meant 2018 WC. South Koreans beating the former world cup winners and knocking them out raised the stock on their players. It actually happened with us too, after 2018. Taremi moved to Rio Avenue, Sardar to Zenit, Milad to Gent, Majid to Trabzonspor, etc. Charleroi started picking up a lot of younger Iranian players like Delfi/Noorafkan/Gholizadeh. Though we got much unluckier than they did in their development.

Drawing England and losing 6-2 was the worst possible match up for us in 2022 in the first game, we pretty much lost all eyes on us

Comment

I should have clarified, I actually meant 2018 WC. South Koreans beating the former world cup winners and knocking them out raised the stock on their players. It actually happened with us too, after 2018. Taremi moved to Rio Avenue, Sardar to Zenit, Milad to Gent, Majid to Trabzonspor, etc. Charleroi started picking up a lot of younger Iranian players like Delfi/Noorafkan/Gholizadeh. Though we got much unluckier than they did in their development.

Drawing England and losing 6-2 was the worst possible match up for us in 2022 in the first game, we pretty much lost all eyes on us
                      Our best 3 players were Mehdi, rezaian and haj Safi...the latter 2 were too old for any consideration...and Mehdi got Milan but it was mucked up.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by koorosh View Post
                        Our best 3 players were Mehdi, rezaian and haj Safi...the latter 2 were too old for any consideration...and Mehdi got Milan but it was mucked up.

True, chances are if Salmani started he would be in Europe now instead of Perspolis. Just an issue we need to fix. WC serves as a showcase of young players in many ways

Comment

Agree totally in general but in this WC was not ordinary for Iran. In some way, one could argue that the reason our best were also our oldest was because they were better able to handle the pressures. Clearly they felt a huge degree of dissatisfaction from Iranians, being connected to IR. They also have hinted that IR put a lot of pressure on them. Saeed's outburst recently was one indication.

Comment

True, chances are if Salmani started he would be in Europe now instead of Perspolis. Just an issue we need to fix. WC serves as a showcase of young players in many ways
                            'not really, the days when WC was a big supermarket is over.
                            Stars of last wc (Morocco or croatian gk) have very subpar transfer after the cup compared to their hype during the Tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post

'not really, the days when WC was a big supermarket is over.
                              Stars of last wc (Morocco or croatian gk) have very subpar transfer after the cup compared to their hype during the Tournament.
                              keep in mind Morocco is not really a good example because half of their players were already in PL, EPL, Eredivisie. Their GK was linked with Real Madrid before al-hilal came in with a 30 million dollar check. Same with Croatia, they have players who are already at the top of European football.

​​​​​​Asian football can't be compared to the ones already in Europe.

Let's instead look at a team like Japan after 2018 and 2022:

After 2018 world cup, the following transfer window had Ritsu Doan move to Eredivisie, Ito to Stuttgart, Kubo to Real Sociedad, Mitoma to Brighton (this one a while later).

After 2022 you had: Doan to Freiburg, Ueda to Feyenoord, etc.

I'm not saying the world cup makes A LOT of difference, but it's undeniable that literally EVERYONE is watching. You think if we tied USA and got R16, and Salmani started instead of Noorallahi, he wouldn't have offers left and right to big clubs? Obviously that's a dream but it would have projected him much higher than waiting to be Perspolis leftover backup

Comment

Working...
                              X