Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should Iran's footballing identity be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should Iran's footballing identity be?

We have had the privilege of seeing a World Cup with so many different nationalities from all over the world as well as many different unique playing styles.
    I've followed Team Melli since I was young from the 1998 World Cup and always wondered if we would adopt the playing style of a more well-known team.

In 1998, I noticed the absolutely awesome nature of "gheyrat" from all of our players working as a unit to achieve the result with some star studded lineups who are our heroes to this day. We had a period of time where we had excellent players but were unable to make the team work as greater than the sum of its parts. A disappointing World cup later(2006), and we fell off for some time in player quality. It's hard to pinpoint what our exact playing style was during this time. The closest I would say is a team that tried to stay in the game and rely on individidual brilliance for goals against stronger/same level teams, while trying to overwhelm weaker teams with players in the box. After CQ came, our style changed considerably for better or worse to a team that relies on staying in the game, taking our opportunities and closing down.

Many of the top footballing countries have set footballing principles for their clubs/national teams and generally follow certain philosophies of football. There are of course exceptions to this for some players and teams in certain periods, but a usual theme can be seen:

Germany--> Promote youth, well-rounded efficient technical players that are flexible in position. Some Gegenpressing(Counter-pressing)
    Argentina--> High tempo, physical team surrounding a talisman(Messi, Maradona, Riquelme).
    Brazil--> "Joga Bonito". Overwhelming opponent opposition with interplay.
    Spain--> Tiki Taka Tiki Taka Tiki Taka.
    England--> Physical. Direct. Pace. Power.
    France--> Power midfield with efficient forwards/wingers(Makelele, Kante, Zidane, Pogba, Ribery/Henry/Mbappe).
    Uruguay--> Physical. Disruption. take the opportunities and close out.
    Croatia--> World class midfielders to maintain position and shape.

Even some of our Asian rivals have identities that are clear.

Japan--> Technical Passing. Patience. Discipline. Well-rounded game.
    Saudi Arabia--> Counterattacking, speedy players.
    South Korea--> Possession, high chance creation.

We know Iranians in Iran have significant raw talent. "Gol kuchik" allowed so many to be great dribblers that sometimes manifested in a larger game setting(Karimi) despite us needing more than just that to go to the next level. IFF has many problems in implementing anything but if they were competent what long term plans would you want them to set? I will add a poll as to what kind of football you would want Iran to play. Please be as specific as possible and avoid "black and white"(CQ vs Skocic).

How we play now
    0%
    Tiki Taka
    23.53%
    Physical Play/Set pieces/Long balls
    11.76%
    Pacy Counterattacks/11 men defending when out of possession
    23.53%
    Gegenpressing(Liverpool)
    17.65%
    "Joga Bonito". Most technical players on field at all times.
    23.53%
    Other(Please specify)
    0%
    Last edited by perspolis#1; 12-10-2022, 12:54 AM.

Speed speed and speed

Comment

I think a variation of Tiki Taka is best suited when you take into consideration the street football a lot of Iranian players grow up playing.

This is why we are so good at Futsal.

Comment

Originally posted by The View Post
        I think a variation of Tiki Taka is best suited when you take into consideration the street football a lot of Iranian players grow up playing.

This is why we are so good at Futsal.
        This world cup showed this infamous tiki taka is dead for good. This boring style can only work with world class players everywhere, something we can dream with our qsl/uae mercenaries

Comment

Anything that has nothing to do with CQ ball.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

Let’s look at what we’re best at as a people.
            We’re strong and we’re technically blessed.
            Until we learn how to play under pressure and have speedy transition play, we have to focus on heavy counterattacking football which relies on brute physicality to exhaust opponents.

Comment

Play like

Team Melli at 1976 Olympic Games and 1976 Asia Cup

Team Melli at 1984 Asia Cup

Team Melli at 1990 Asian Games

Team Melli at 1996 Asia Cup

Team Melli at 2002 World Cup Qualification

Team Melli at 2015 Asia Cup and 2019 Asia Cup

Team Melli at 2022 World Cup Qualification (under Skocic)

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
                Let’s look at what we’re best at as a people.
                We’re strong and we’re technically blessed.
                Until we learn how to play under pressure and have speedy transition play, we have to focus on heavy counterattacking football which relies on brute physicality to exhaust opponents.
                Very interesting reading that tbh.
                In my opinion it's the opposite lol. We are not strong at all. If you take the dribble moments away, i don't see any technical strenght at all.
                We lack basic football things.
                Not a single TM player can take a freekick. When did we score from setpieces ?
                Pass accuracy is tokhmi even compared to Asian teams.
                Players physical stature lack height and muscles compared to the rest of the world. (lack of protein nutrition in young ages)
                The game play under pressure is a thing for sure.
                Lack of speed and stamina is a problem too.

Irans footballing identity should NOT BE, park the Bus and go for counter CQ style.

IRI's politics is no different than handling a pressure cooker ..... As the pressure builds up, you slowly let the steam out just a tad bit so that you don't see overflow, and once the pressure from below is less, you put the lid down again and raise the temperature.

Comment

Iran already have an identity , AK8
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ali.Karimi79 View Post

In my opinion it's the opposite lol. We are not strong at all. If you take the dribble moments away, i don't see any technical strenght at all.
                    Players physical stature lack height and muscles compared to the rest of the world. (lack of protein nutrition in young ages)

Irans footballing identity should NOT BE, park the Bus and go for counter CQ style.

I fully agree! We lack world level speed, strength (compared to developed countries) & we really have 0 technical abilities; generally no player can take long shots, has great crosses, has a reasonable first touch, can take on defenders etc. Etc.

Even if you look at our Futsal, we are not a technical team.

We have something others don't have tho, a certain cleverness. This is best seen in Taremi, but all our players have a certain cleverness to get the job done.

As for our style we should pursue, I ok with anything that can be called football.

Comment

Cq agree with all these, and it precisely because he knows all these shortcoming that we don't have any choice but to play the bus and counter attack style

Comment

disgree strongly. In terms of height, weight, strength… our teams in the past world cups have been in the top 3rd of teams consistently.

we also run an incredible amount now. We just don’t run smart! go look at the stats - I couldn’t believe the distances.
                        Also believe it or not, our players top speeds for the most part are above average (except for guys like Ezatollahi).

again, what makes our football look slow and lethargic is what comes from most our players having been taught to play in tactics that were appropriate for 1994! Static, flat footed, lots of time with cramped midfields.

our players have speed, our football doesn’t.
                        Blaming it on physical shortcomings, respectfully is wrong and irrelevant.

Comment

Not physical shortcomings as much as mental shortcomings.

And lack of technique. We don't have players who can consistently put a string of passes together while running against an opposition.

Our pass completion rate at this WC
                          66%vs 90% England
                          67% vs 77% Wales
                          77% vs 84% USA

So many incomplete passes... football is a team sport based on passing the ball. We are shit at passing the ball.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

We don't play park-the-bus-style football for God's sake. Go rewatch the Portugal and Morocco match, and even moments of the Spain match. The whole Wales and US second half we were in control. Iran was attacking consistently when the opportunity was there. The only terrible half of football we played that emulated true park the bus (and not because of tactics, because we were outplayed) was the last 30 mins of the 1st half vs the US

We are certainly defensive minded but anyone who has watched our matches knows our counterattacks are lethal, and we are good at building up during the right opportunities

Undoubtedly, this is when TM has been the most successful

Iran had no identity during the Skocic era, that's for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post

disgree strongly. In terms of height, weight, strength… our teams in the past world cups have been in the top 3rd of teams consistently.

we also run an incredible amount now. We just don’t run smart! go look at the stats - I couldn’t believe the distances.
                              Also believe it or not, our players top speeds for the most part are above average (except for guys like Ezatollahi).

again, what makes our football look slow and lethargic is what comes from most our players having been taught to play in tactics that were appropriate for 1994! Static, flat footed, lots of time with cramped midfields.

our players have speed, our football doesn’t.
                              Blaming it on physical shortcomings, respectfully is wrong and irrelevant.
                              Care to provide the stats? Based on my persopnal observation i don't believe we are near top 3rd teams.
                              Happy to be proven wrong.
                              IRI's politics is no different than handling a pressure cooker ..... As the pressure builds up, you slowly let the steam out just a tad bit so that you don't see overflow, and once the pressure from below is less, you put the lid down again and raise the temperature.

Comment

Working...
                              X