Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(EDITORIAL)Pitching a near perfect game; The key to Iran's match against Portugal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(EDITORIAL)Pitching a near perfect game; The key to Iran's match against Portugal

http://www.persianfootball.com/pfdcn...0294658784.htm

PFDC, Houston - Iran will face Europe's second place winner in Euro2004, Portugal, on Saturday to find her final destiny in this world cup. Facing such European powerhouse for Iran spells nothing but playing near perfect game in order to have any chance to advance to the next round. A criterion that Iran did not implement in her last game against Mexico.

Although in the match against Mexico, Iran proved to be capable of defeating powerhouse teams technically and tactically, nevertheless, the lack of experience along with mental collapses eventually cost Iran the game that was theirs to take. Even the first half of the match, in which Iran displayed a superior performance, was not error free. A quick review of such errors may put a light on how Iran lost the match that could have had other outcome.

Too many free kicks!

While Iran was doing very well in first half, but still was making the same error repeatedly; giving up free kicks behind the box. The series of unnecessary fouls behind the box eventually led to Mexico's first goal. It was no secret that free kick is one of Mexico's strong points. But still, Iranian defenders and midfielders were continuously giving up free kicks and corner kicks to this dangerous team to practice their pre-set strategies. Eventually, Mexicans were able to muscle down the Iranian players inside the box to free a player and score their first goal.

Mental let down in second half

Iranian players satisfied with their performance in first half, entered the field in second half as if the game was theirs to finish. The first half display of excellent focus was gone and nobody took the initiative to change what was seemed to be a bitter outcome in the making. Perhaps, the coach more than anyone else is responsible in such situations to lead the team from the sideline and make the necessary changes in the line up to bring back the spirit to play with more poise. Mexico was adding the pressure on Iranian players with each minute going by. What could have been the key to break the Mexicans' pressing was the addition of two more technical players to take advantage of such pressure and get result for Iran. Players such as Masoud Shojaei and Rasul Khatibi were capable of displaying higher technical game to possibly break out of the press and move the team forward.

Iran brought in a player, Mehrzad Madanchi, that also could help the team with speed and poise, but took out the player that he needed to get the ball to him, Ali Karimi. With Karimi's exit, Iran lost the only player that could use his technique and play making to feed Madanchi to run through the wing. Leaving ineffective Ali Daei in the field and not bringing any other play maker to feed Madanchi made this substitution transparent to the match.

Missing Mexico's error

During free kicks and corner kicks, Mexico was sending in several players, including their best defender Rafael Marquez, to muscle out Iranians inside the box to free a player to score. In such set plays, Iran could have set two of shorter but faster players, Kaabi and Mahdavikia in the front and near the midfield line, for quick counter attacks while Daei and Hashemian were helping the defense inside the box with their height and strength. Mexico's primary weakness in defense was the lack of speed in counter attacks and Iran never exposed such weakness during the game.

The comedy of errors in Mexico's winning goals

It is interesting to note that what started the comedy of the errors in Mexico's second goal was a free kick for Iran! A free kick was rewarded to Iran to restart the game from near the midfield line. But rather than setting up the play and asking the players to move forward and use a long ball to go behind pressing Mexicans, Mehdi Mahdavikia received the ball from Javad Nekunam before the midfiled line. He then, in a surprising move, passed the ball back to Hossein Kaabi which was standing in Iran's field along with six other Iranian players while Iran had the position in this set play! With no desire to move forward which was the reflection of players attitude in second half, Kaabi passed the ball back to Ebrahim Mirzapour to one more time test him in a department that is known as his primary weakness! And the rest was an embarrassing show of erroneous handling of the ball by Mirzapour and Rahman Rezaei.

The third goal was no exception. While the previous goal was the result of technical errors, the third goal was the result of tactical errors. Both of Iran's players in left side, Madanchi and Mohammad Nosrati, failed to mark the man that was clearly running through the wing. Madanchi not only did not follow him, he also let his man that passed the ball from the middle of the field to the wing, to go free into the box, and receive the ball back to head it into the net. Madanchi stopped following him when he entered the box, Nosrati did not even follow him and stood up watching the play when the pass to the wing took place, and Nekunam ran opposite to him into the box where there was no player for him to mark! Iran was left with two defenders, Golmohammadi and shorter Kaabi, to defend three Mexicans while Rezaei had run out of the box to defend the wing player unsuccessfully.

Can Iran win the next match against Portugal?

Only on a thin line! Portugal is no lesser than Mexico in capitalizing from technical or tactical errors. Near perfect game is the only chance Iran has to find herself in second stage. World Cup games are no place for errors, and Iran's previous match was a good witness to such a fact, and a learning lesson for the Iranian side. Iran must make use of the squad efficiently with the best and most fit 14 players that can match up against Portugal to win this match.
    Last edited by Mansoor; 06-14-2006, 07:31 AM.
    We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.
    Go IRAN!

Very well said , Mansoor Khan...

Lest not forget that the Portuguese did not fare too well against the solid Angolans. The Portuguese players are a moody bunch, and can become quite complascent in my opinion.

TM must press them hard, tackle them and thrie frustration wil surely be evident n the match along with their errors....NOW, can our boyz caputalize on them ....????

sigpic

Comment

Can Iran win the next match against Portugal?

Only on a thin line! Portugal is no lesser than Mexico in capitalizing from technical or tactical errors. Near perfect game is the only chance Iran has to find herself in second stage. World Cup games are no place for errors, and Iran's previous match was a good witness to such a fact, and a learning lesson for the Iranian side. Iran must make use of the squad efficiently with the best and most fit 14 players that can match up against Portugal to win this match.
      Well said. Emotions sometimes get the best of us fans, but Branko needs to put things aside and make the proper call on who the 11 best +3 subs are. I think he will make the right call and that is why Daei will not start, and Karimi will only play if he can prove himself in practice.
      We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.

Comment

Originally posted by maij
        Very well said , Mansoor Khan...

Lest not forget that the Portuguese did not fare too well against the solid Angolans. The Portuguese players are a moody bunch, and can become quite complascent in my opinion.

TM must press them hard, tackle them and thrie frustration wil surely be evident n the match along with their errors....NOW, can our boyz caputalize on them ....????
        Good point Agha Majid.

These WC games are on such a thin line and can go either way in a given day. All the teams are so close and we hardly see a clear winner in these games. Even a small error can change the outcome of a match.

We gave the match to Mexico to take, and we should try to take the match from Portuguese. When I talked to Human aziz about Portuguese he was more upbeat about them than Mexicans. He was in the stadium watching Portugal and Angola play. We will see .....
        Go IRAN!

Comment

Originally posted by kasai
          Well said. Emotions sometimes get the best of us fans, but Branko needs to put things aside and make the proper call on who the 11 best +3 subs are. I think he will make the right call and that is why Daei will not start, and Karimi will only play if he can prove himself in practice.
          I hope he gives up on his persistance on Daei.

And on Karimi, if he is not really in shape, Branko should save him for second half when the defenders are not fresh to keep up with him.
          Go IRAN!

Comment

nice read Mansoor, however;

Originally posted by Mansoor
            I hope he gives up on his persistance on Daei.
            one must wonder why Kia didn't play his usual game... his trademark long crosses were nonexistent... he didn't feed Hash and Daei as he always did in previous important matches, Asian Cup games in particular...

to be fair, Daei played a fair game...main reasons why we lost;

a) mirza in goal
            b) kia's poor passing
            c) ka'abi's horrible decision in passing the ball back to mirza
            d) changing tactics and pulling back in 2nd half

and most importantly..

e) missing this --->

ستايشگر آموزگاری هستم که انديشيدن را
            به من بياموزد و نه انديشه ها را. زرتشت

Comment

I think the team needs a game plan for 90 minutes and they should be able
              to deliver even in the last second and one gol up. The team was not prepared
              in the first game the good point was Rezaei head the ball and in return Golmo
              scored the gol. This is the WC and If Kabi is in the box ,he should be allowed
              to take the shot or even go further and score. The coach instructed a few
              to take shots.Good example was Nosrati who had a fee ball in Mexico box and
              he hit the Clock.He probably did not have confidence or was not authorized to
              take shots.Most of Iranian players aredelimited by design not to take a shot to the gol.

Comment

The thing bout persistance on Daei i agree with...see Kia and some other might have also had a bad game, but know they could have a good one...sooner than Daei would. Daei's been noticeable to have been inefficiant as a player on the field the past couple of games. Its different. I was dissapointed with Kia' crosses too, but i'd rather be persistant with him than Daei...and if Karimi isnt in shape...do what the saudi's did with their old guy....Bring him in when he's fresher than the opposing team....he can still do us alotta good, but id rather have it in the 2nd half...than in the begining where he tires out quickly only to be easily picked off by portugees defenders who are in better shape forcing Brank to make a sub for him. When TM is in rythm with Karimi....its diff when u bring someone else in...it isnt the same..Shojaei is good, but i dunno if it would be the same you know? the rythm differs, sure it can be good, but i believe most likely it wont be as good...but if iran gets their game going...then brings in karimi with fresh legs...Our offense i think gets better distrabution...makes Portugal's defense more concerned etc...

Comment

Having Branko during that game was like not having a coach at all!
                  It just shows his quality, telling the team to defend all the time in the second half is EXTREMELY STUPID

If Iran plays crap again with Portugal Branko deserves to get a large boot up the a**.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Click
                    nice read Mansoor, however;

one must wonder why Kia didn't play his usual game... his trademark long crosses were nonexistent... he didn't feed Hash and Daei as he always did in previous important matches, Asian Cup games in particular...

to be fair, Daei played a fair game...main reasons why we lost;

a) mirza in goal
                    b) kia's poor passing
                    c) ka'abi's horrible decision in passing the ball back to mirza
                    d) changing tactics and pulling back in 2nd half

and most importantly..

e) missing this --->
                    Salam MC jaan.

Yes, there were other problems in the field but Daei's ineffectiveness was more obvious. Kia certainly had poor passing, but still making some runs. Karimi had one his worst games but he is still Karimi capable of exploding any minute. But, Daei had completely disappeared in second half, maybe he was right in his interview, the midfielders weren't distributing the ball well, but regardless, Daei is not a type of a player that could be useful at that time. With strong teams like Mexico pressing, you need more technically skilled players to create plays for themselves and others. With Hashemian there, we already had a finisher. We needed more fresh legs to run through defense, shake and bake with the ball and throw Mexicans out of a rythm and momentum they were gradually gaining. Some one like Shojaei, Khatibi, and even Kazemian with all his recent troubles.

When we play against teams like Mexico or Portugal, we need every inch of advantage we can get. We have to use the players more efficiently. The usage of Hashemian & Daei who are both finishers is a waste of a player in 11 men team. It is as if to have two sweepers, or two goal keepers. In such close games you just can't afford wasting a spot by redundancy. The presence of Hashemian & Daei is a redundancy. It may not cause too much harm against Asian teams or second rated teams but against first class teams you just can't afford redundancy.

That is what I meant by persistancy on using Daei. Of course that is just my opinion and is not necessarily a fact.

As for Mirza, I believe he had a very good game upto that terrible play that led to the goal.
                    Last edited by Mansoor; 06-14-2006, 11:26 PM.
                    Go IRAN!

Comment

Originally posted by IranPuma
                      The thing bout persistance on Daei i agree with...see Kia and some other might have also had a bad game, but know they could have a good one...sooner than Daei would. Daei's been noticeable to have been inefficiant as a player on the field the past couple of games. Its different. I was dissapointed with Kia' crosses too, but i'd rather be persistant with him than Daei...and if Karimi isnt in shape...do what the saudi's did with their old guy....Bring him in when he's fresher than the opposing team....he can still do us alotta good, but id rather have it in the 2nd half...than in the begining where he tires out quickly only to be easily picked off by portugees defenders who are in better shape forcing Brank to make a sub for him. When TM is in rythm with Karimi....its diff when u bring someone else in...it isnt the same..Shojaei is good, but i dunno if it would be the same you know? the rythm differs, sure it can be good, but i believe most likely it wont be as good...but if iran gets their game going...then brings in karimi with fresh legs...Our offense i think gets better distrabution...makes Portugal's defense more concerned etc...
                      Very good post.
                      Go IRAN!

Comment

Originally posted by Mansoor
                        Salam MC jaan.
                        Yes, there were other problems in the field but Daei's ineffectiveness was more obvious. Kia certainly had poor passing, but still making some runs. Karimi had one his worst games but he is still Karimi capable of exploding any minute. But, Daei had completely disappeared in second half, maybe he was right in his interview, the midfielders weren't distributing the ball well, but regardless, Daei is not a type of a player that could be useful at that time. With strong teams like Mexico pressing, you need more technically skilled players to create plays for themselves and others. With Hashemian there, we already had a finisher. We needed more fresh legs to run through defense, shake and bake with the ball and throw Mexicans out of a rythm and momentum they were gradually gaining. Some one like Shojaei, Khatibi, and even Kazemian with all his recent troubles.
                        When we play against teams like Mexico or Portugal, we need every inch of advantage we can get. We have to use the players more efficiently. The usage of Hashemian & Daei who are both finishers is a waste of a player in 11 men team. It is as if to have two sweepers, or two goal keepers. In such close games you just can't afford wasting a spot by redundancy. The presence of Hashemian & Daei is a redundancy. It may not cause too much harm against Asian teams or second rated teams but against first class teams you just can't afford redundancy.
                        That is what I meant by persistancy on using Daei. Of course that is just my opinion and is not necessarily a fact.
                        As for Mirza, I believe he had a very good game upto that terrible play that led to the goal.
                        agree 100 %
                        CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Adesor i like what it says in your signature lol

Comment

Originally posted by IranPuma
                            Adesor i like what it says in your signature lol
                            thanks

it is very applicable these days...
                            CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

if team melli can handle ronaldo and simao we have an excellent chance......it depends alot on kaebi and nosrati handelling these two power houses

Comment

Working...
                              X