2015 Women's World Cup Results, News and Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2015 Women's World Cup Results, News and Discussions

Later today, the 3rd biggest international football event in the world will kick-off in Edmonton, with the hosts Canada taking on 1999 runners up and Asian giants, China.

Sadly, the Women's WC still does not receive the attention and coverage it deserves, despite being the 3rd biggest international football event in the world, after the World Cup and the Euro in terms of attendance (2nd place in terms of number of countries participating).

The games will be played in 6 Canadian cities, nearly covering the entire width of the North American continent from Moncton to Vancouver - still Toronto, Canada's biggest city did not get a single game!

134 Countries took part in the qualification process and after 406 matches, the 24 finalists from all 6 Confederations will battle it out for the title of the biggest Women's World Cup ever after the format was changed from 16 to 24 teams.

The pre-tournament favorites to have a place in the semis are the usual suspects, USA, defending World Cup champions and 2012 Olympic Runner up, Japan, France who finished 4th in the last World Cup and 3rd in the Olympics and Canada as hosts and Olympic Bronze medalists.

Canada are looking for for redemption after their Olympics semi-final loss to the eventual winners USA in one of the most exciting and controversial matches of all time in which the Canadians believe they were robbed of a Gold medal by the Norwegian referee, Christina Pederson at one of the most iconic stadiums in world football, Old Trafford.

Iran did not qualify for the 2014 Asian Cups, which served as the qualifiers for these games for Asia, after finishing 3rd in the qualifying group behind Thailand and the Philippines.

Let the games begin...

I would imaine the US, Germany and Japan are the favorites. Outside chance to Norway, Brazil and maybe Canada.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

This is the highlights of the London Olympics semi-final between Canada and the US

Comment

And here's one thing I like about the Women's World Cup that you definitely don't get in the Mens'

10 Hottest Women Footballers of the 2015 WC (my picks )

ANOUK HOOGENDIJK (Netherlands)

HOPE SOLO (USA)

KAYLYN KYLE (Canada)

LAURE BOULLEAU (France)

SELINA WAGNER (Germany)

CORINE FRANCO (France)

NAYELI RANGEL (Mexico)

LAUREN SESSELMANN (Canada)

JULIA SIMIC (Germany)

ALEX MORGAN (USA)

Comment

In the last picture Alex Morgan is naked. All she is wearing is body paint.
          I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

i think usa, germany, sweden, brazil and japan are favorites

Comment

Originally posted by Bi-honar View Post
              Later today, the 3rd biggest international football event in the world will kick-off in Edmonton, with the hosts Canada taking on 1999 runners up and Asian giants, China.

Sadly, the Women's WC still does not receive the attention and coverage it deserves, despite being the 3rd biggest international football event in the world, after the World Cup and the Euro in terms of attendance (2nd place in terms of number of countries participating).
              This is a false statement. In fact, the way they count attendance for the Women's WC is different than any other match. In the Women's WC many tickets are double headers, meaning if you buy 1 ticket, you get to see two games without leaving the stadium. But, when they count the attendance figures, they count that ticket as double since many stay and watch the second game. In fact, to really get an accurate picture, you must half the total attendance for the women's WC, making it less attended than even AC, Copa America, and the Gold Cup.
              Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

Originally posted by O-ZoNe View Post
                This is a false statement. In fact, the way they count attendance for the Women's WC is different than any other match. In the Women's WC many tickets are double headers, meaning if you buy 1 ticket, you get to see two games without leaving the stadium. But, when they count the attendance figures, they count that ticket as double since many stay and watch the second game. In fact, to really get an accurate picture, you must half the total attendance for the women's WC, making it less attended than even AC, Copa America, and the Gold Cup.
                Attendance doesn't usually have anything to do with the number of tickets sold Ozone jaan. You can sell zero tickets and have a stadium at capacity, as was the case with PP's games in the ACL recently. Or at the other end of the scale, you can have a sell out game with half the stadium empty as is the case with many TFC games because of seasons tickets.

Attendance is generally calculated based on the number of people in the stadium at some point during the match, which I believe is the half way point of the 2nd half, by counting the number of people who entered the stadium, less the number of people who left.

At any rate, there were no back-to-back games or double-headers in Germany in 2011 and even if you halved the attendance just for the fun of it, it still surpassed the attendance in the 2011 Asian Cup.

Comment

Why cut it in half? While some people may come for only one game but still some some stay for both games, specifically myself during the 1999 and 2003 women's World Cup. The Gold Cup also features double headers. In fact I remember I had one 8 hour experience at Foxboro which was a triple header with 2 Gold Cup games sandwiching an MLS game.

Comment

The way for the womens game to improve is if other countries besides USA win it. According to laws published years ago in Congress, all female sports programs should receive equal funding to their mens. The US womens team has the same funding as the USMNT. Its almost unfair to the other teams.

I hope one day we will be able to have an Iranian society where we could be proud of our women in sports. I,for one, will attend for sure if Irans WNT ever qualifies to a World cup.

Comment

I read a great article this morning about how in reality this years WC is lagging in attendance from previous years, and that the prize money is pennies compared to the mens WC...the game hasn't grown or developed like the men's and FIFA is just grasping at straws trying to keep the women's game afloat. If I find it I will post it.

Can you still buy a ticket?

You can try. As of Friday night there were still tickets, both singles and seats together. Long lineups could be seen at Commonwealth Stadium as people queued to get last-minute tickets on Friday. Opening ceremonies on June 6 start at 3:40 p.m. and include musical performances by Sarah McLachlan and duo Tegan and Sara.

Gates open two hours prior to matches. For doubleheaders, one ticket allows access to both matches. Re-entry is not permitted.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...know-1.3103113

FIFA Women's World Cup ticket sales in Moncton lagging
                      http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ging-1.3099044

Exclusive: Women’s World Cup ticket sales slump in Vancouver
                      Mad dash to put bums in seats; Vancouver civic workers offered bulk tickets

http://bobmackin.ca/?p=2764

Comment

I read a great article this morning about how in reality this years WC is lagging in attendance from previous years, and that the prize money is pennies compared to the mens WC...the game hasn't grown or developed like the men's and FIFA is just grasping at straws trying to keep the women's game afloat. If I find it I will post it.

Share it please.
                        It reminds me of the WNBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
                          Share it please.
                          It reminds me of the WNBA.
                          Found it...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer...606-story.html

Comment

I read a great article this morning about how in reality this years WC is lagging in attendance from previous years,
                            What do you expect bro, Canada is where sports come to die!

Joking aside, like with everything else in Canada, the planning and marketing is atrocious. Had I not been a TFC season ticket holder last year, I wouldn't have even known the Women's WC was in Canada this year.

Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal obviously have a soccer following because of the MLS and Edmonton and Ottawa to some extent because of the NASL, not to mention that Edmonton has hosted international games before. But what kind of idiot would pick Moncton to host games? Or Winnipeg for that matter?

At least pick a university town like Kitchener/Waterloo or London or even Hamilton. And who in their right mind would skip Toronto? I swear, some of the stuff you see happening in Canada makes IR look logical and educated.

Comment

Nice to see the hosts score

Comment

Working...
                              X