Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pejman Montazeri - the most underrated Iranian footballer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pejman Montazeri - the most underrated Iranian footballer?

I was talking to an Argentinean friend of mine a couple of days ago and he mentioned to me that he thought our right back was one of our best players in the WC. Initially I thought he was referring to pooladi but after showing him a pic of pooladi he said "he was great to but no that's not him, I'm talking about the one who gave our forwards little space and had some great runs down the right flank and sent in some dangerous crosses to your striker"

After giving it some thought I definitely agreed with him. He is never a name you hear being brought up when we talk about our more valuable guys and has been overshadowed by Hosseini for a large part of his TM career, but you could easily make the argument that he is as good/valuable to the team, if not more. Consider this: his versatility is not seen in any defender I can remember in modern TM football (last 20 years) as he completely kills it as both a CB and RB. Also his quickness, vision, calmness on and off the ball and passing abilities is rare for a CB. He is a threat on set pieces and is a very high IQ player. I remember back when CQ wanted to try him out as a RB I had some doubts about how he would work on counters going forward but he has impressed pretty much ever time he's placed there. I always feel safe having him back there, he is as reliable as they come, the one defender who has never had a "zir-e-toop phase" which is why I believe he got so popular with CQ in the first place.

A lot forget that he ousted a fix TM CB in Hadi Aghily, who I know is not liked by some and by others he was really popular, but nonetheless had much more upside compared to montazeri at the time in that he was bigger, more physical, and a bigger part of TM with more experience than Pejman was before Queiroz made him a consistent call up. Since he was given the starting spot, he has been rock solid and proved in almost every TM match he's played. I don't want to hear anything about him playing in the QSL, he has been one of the few who has not lost good form since going there and I believe he will be an important piece of the team in the upcoming few years. One of my favorite players by far (despite being an esteghlali ) who IMO deserves more praise, like ando and seyyed jalal his leadership will be VERY important in the final phase of WCQs. Not sure if we will see another defender as calm and composed and anti zir-e-top like montazeri, let's appreciate while we got him!

(Not the best representation of him but the only highlight tape I can find, if anyone has others plz share or better yet if one of our more tech savvy members who makes videos plz make one for him!)
    Team Meli Iran
    Perspolis FC
    Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Montazeri was introduced late to this football, he can play as right back and central defender, has a decent cross and first pass, better than Hosseini. He is a smart defender.

Comment

He is good but I think out most underrated player is hosseini
      --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
      --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
      ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
      --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
      ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

His playmaking ability is what makes him valuable. He isn't the most physically challenging defender but he is fairly smart and doesn't just boot it up like Aghili did.

Comment

Montazeri is one of my favorite Iranian defenders. His WC performance obviously proved that. He isn't physical like nokhodi pointed out but he is still quite good in the air, and is a very smart defenders. His passing and crossing game is also above average for any defender. He also has good speed which is why he could play as a right back as well. Many of our good moments in the WC were a result of Montazeri.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          AKP Parti, Turkiye - Haj Bernie Sandersoglu

Comment

Originally posted by Karimi 8 View Post
            He is good but I think out most underrated player is hosseini
            He was under appreciated before, but I think over the last 2-3 years a lot more ppl have come to fully value him. His name is often brought up when we talk about our all time great defenders...personally I feel like I never see Pejman mentioned in the convo and I for one would say he's one of the best we've ever had.
            Team Meli Iran
            Perspolis FC
            Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

I feel like this is a relevant time to bump this.....his services were missed a lot today. I do think Ansari is a very solid defender who just happened to have a bad game today, which is completely fine, but I can't help but feel that if Pejman was there today we might have been a bit safer. It's a shame he'll be out until December
              Team Meli Iran
              Perspolis FC
              Malavan Bandar Anzali

Comment

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post
                I feel like this is a relevant time to bump this.....his services were missed a lot today. I do think Ansari is a very solid defender who just happened to have a bad game today, which is completely fine, but I can't help but feel that if Pejman was there today we might have been a bit safer. It's a shame he'll be out until December
                Add one month to it, he will be out for 4 months according to Esteghlal's team doctor.

Right now, Esteghlal has 11 injured players - what the hell are they doing in training?

Comment

Pejman is a gem defender in our football. Unfortunately he was introduced late to Team Melli, but he progressed very well under the coaching of Carlos Queiroz.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post
                    Ansari has been very sloppy the last 2 games not just this one. He's young and probably a little intimidated by the size of the crowds and how important these games are. With more games under his belt I'm sure he'll be solid.

Comment

Originally posted by AminGP View Post
                      Ansari has been very sloppy the last 2 games not just this one. He's young and probably a little intimidated by the size of the crowds and how important these games are. With more games under his belt I'm sure he'll be solid.
                      Fair comment - he's had his questionable moments at Persepolis too. It comes with experience, he'll get better. I think he is far from being able to be compared to pejman though as some have drawn
                      Team Meli Iran
                      Perspolis FC
                      Malavan Bandar Anzali

Comment

ansari was good against SK. Bad tonight. Obviously pejman is better, but ansari needs experience. How else do we expect his to improve ??? This is a learning curve for him. jsut like it was for PAG. I really hope pejman is fit and in form for the WC. PAG is not a leader yet.

Comment

Originally posted by inarsenewetrust View Post
                          ansari was good against SK. Bad tonight. Obviously pejman is better, but ansari needs experience. How else do we expect his to improve ??? This is a learning curve for him. jsut like it was for PAG. I really hope pejman is fit and in form for the WC. PAG is not a leader yet.
                          I agree. And I think that it was a smart move on Queiroz' part to give playing time to players like Ansari. I was happy to see Cheshmi as well. Although we qualified to the World Cup, these last two games were still considered crucial. The earliest these newer younger players get acclimated with the team will only benefit us in the long run.

Comment

He is our best defender in many years in my opinion. His football IQ is what sets him apart from a hosseini or aghili for example

Comment

I used to think he was the best replacement for Hosseini. But actually the pair of him and Pouraliganji turned out to be very shaky in his last game against China.

We had the same shaky defense with Pouraliganji/Ansari duo yesterday.

Our defense looked always solid under CQ whenever Hosseini got to play. I think it's rather the latter who makes everyone in the defense look good. When he quits, I think everyone will be realizing his true value in TM.

Comment

Working...
                              X