Why Mehdi Mahdavikia is Iran's greatest footballing legend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iran_19 View Post
    Mehdi, Vahid and Javad all 3 had longer European career compare to Daei. Mehdi was on top of his game for so many years compare to other legionnaires we had. Hands down he is best legionnaires we ever had. The guy is not vocal and that is reason why he doesn't get enough credit.
    "Mehdi was on top of his game for so many years compare to other legionnaires we had"

This is the key. I'm not sure why this isn't appreciated more.

Comment

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
      Nekounam was great for his club but Mahdavikia was a player of the year for the entire league in his peak seasons. There is a difference between being Osasuna's player of the year and Bundesliga's top three players of the year. Do you see that difference? If you don't I can't really help in this discussion.
      Before you start threatening me about discussion or no discussion, take note of the fact that Nekounam was not an attacking player who usually get all the rewards and glories! His position made him not being noticed as much as Mahdavikia. But he did not only play in an arguably all in all better league, he was playing for a side that mixed between being in first, second, third and worse division regularly through history, with no league titles like Hamburg! and I'm not even gonna get into the fact that he is the only Iranian to become a team captain in Europe and at one point being his club's highest payed player!

Of course Mahdavikia has his own records but I think you are being highly emotional in your judgment.

Are you comparing Osasuna vs Bordeaux in the Europa League (Nekounam played well and scored a last minute goal) to Mahdavikia's complete tour the force in the Champions League against Juventus - involvement in not one but four goals (1 goal and three assists).
      As said, Nekounam was a defensive midfielder! For an Iranian player in that position to save the day for his team with a goal in that fashion, was extra ordinary! Not the least scoring against a defense (Real Madrid) that enjoyed having the best player of the year 2006 at the time! and I'm not even gonna get into the number of goals he scored! In one season he became top 2 best goalscorer in his club! That's an incredible record from any defensive midfielder, let alone an Iranian!

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
        Disagree! Nekounam was at least on par!
        Debatable again with Nekounam and his performance against Bordeaux and Real Madrid!
        It's good that you like a player! but the GREATEST footballing legend is a bit of an emotional comment.
        I agree with his work since quitting though!
        meaning what? that you don't agree with his work before quitting football?

Comment

Well said. I agree.

Comment

Let's not forget the PAS legend Hashemian. He fits your first qualifier.
            راه یکی است و آن راستی است

Comment

Comment

Kia possessed a great understanding of the game in general, deft touch & tremendous accuracy on his crosses, combined well with teammates & moved intelligently with or without the ball, but what made him exceptional was his tremendous energy (gheyrati) & madning Pace on the Wing...!
                Once he got older & his legs started to go & his Pace slowed, it was pretty much a game, set, match for him playing top level EU & international football. ..!
                He tried too hard to keep playing past his somewhat early prime but he never had the top class skill set to make up for his fading pace & worn out legs. ...! More often than not he relied primarily on Speed move to get by his markers, otherwise he couldn't unsettle his man offensively technically ..!
                His back spasms on the sidelines late in his club career seemed fake to me & mostly an excuse from him for the fact that he could no longer keep up with the pace & game level of Bundes liga ..!
                He probably shoulda quit EU club career a couple seasons earlier & gave it a better go again with PP in IPL...!although PP was in midst of tremendous hashieh at that time too so not so sure he woulda experienced a more respectful end to his playing career there..!??

Comment

you gotta love this man.
                  He's the true legend, who cares about this country's children.
                  He deserves to be the head of IFF, not the incompetent people who are in charge of it. (or even AFC if it wasn't in the hands of the corrupt arabs)

Comment

Originally posted by GolfePersique View Post

you gotta love this man.
                    He's the true legend, who cares about this country's children.
                    He deserves to be the head of IFF, not the incompetent people who are in charge of it. (or even AFC if it wasn't in the hands of the corrupt arabs)
                    Yes, thank you.
                    چو ایران نباشد تن من مباد

Comment

Originally posted by bijbij View Post
                      Cheers, that's awesome.
                      And to Sly, yes, it is emotion. I love Nekounam and Mahdavikia. It's just barn door facts that Mahdavikia had the greatest impact in europe. Contributing to all 4 goals and dominating defence and attack in champions league is just better than playing very well and scoring one goal in the Europa league. Captaining your club side in the Champions league is better than captaining your side in La Liga. I mean you may disagree, but you'd be deluding yourself.
                      And remember mahdavikia was also a defending wing-back as well as a winger. There was a time for HSV when he just completely controlled that side of the pitch from defence to attack. That is why he was considered one of the best in europe for those 2-3 years. Nekounam is a hero of mine and I love him (also he is not persepolisi which is a good thing) but he was a club stalwart, not a true european MVP XI candidate player that Mahdavikia was from 2002-2004.

But I don't want to compare Mahdavikia and Nekounam because it is comparing two fantastic players who have done a lot for their clubs and country. It's just a divisive exercise. You may have forgotten quite how much veering on world-class Kia was between 2002-2004 but that may be because you were watching a few Bollywood films instead of football then. Don't worry too much.

Comment

Cheers, that's awesome.
                        And to Sly, yes, it is emotion. I love Nekounam and Mahdavikia. It's just barn door facts that Mahdavikia had the greatest impact in europe. Contributing to all 4 goals and dominating defence and attack in champions league is just better than playing very well and scoring one goal in the Europa league. Captaining your club side in the Champions league is better than captaining your side in La Liga. I mean you may disagree, but you'd be deluding yourself.
                        And remember mahdavikia was also a defending wing-back as well as a winger. There was a time for HSV when he just completely controlled that side of the pitch from defence to attack. That is why he was considered one of the best in europe for those 2-3 years. Nekounam is a hero of mine and I love him (also he is not persepolisi which is a good thing) but he was a club stalwart, not a true european MVP XI candidate player that Mahdavikia was from 2002-2004.
                        But I don't want to compare Mahdavikia and Nekounam because it is comparing two fantastic players who have done a lot for their clubs and country. It's just a divisive exercise. You may have forgotten quite how much veering on world-class Kia was between 2002-2004 but that may be because you were watching a few Bollywood films instead of football then. Don't worry too much.
                        Dude...you come with tasteless jokes here because you know what you try to paint as fact, is actually your opinion and nothing more! Mahdavikia had a wonderful time between 2002-2004 and I haven't forgotten about that. But so did Nekounam between 2006 and actually all the way through his career in La Liga. Now you might have forgotten but when Mahdavikia was used as a right back in Hamburg, it was the time when he was a regular bench warmer and Hamburg happened to lack a right defender! At that time, Mahdavikia was still good but he was already at his decline. His best time in Hamburg was when he played as a right winger! THAT made him big in Europe. Not when he was a defender.

I don't want to compare Nekounam with Mahdavikia either as both were great and were the most successful Iranian players abroad! But saying Mahdavikia was the greatest Iranian legend based on the facts you bring up, is not correct when you look at Nekounam's career!

In short, I respect your opinion but I disagree with it!

Comment

https://vimeo.com/166496795

Comment

He's kind of living the dream
                            -Hamburg legend
                            -TM Legend
                            -Hangs out with Ronaldinho and co
                            -contributing to our youth football(I would love to do that too)
                            -Has the potential to become a top coach(judging by his youth teams)

What more would you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mahdavikia's impact for our youth with Kia FC can never be understated.

We need a statue for this guy. Every single member of PFDC needs to appreciate him.

Comment

I have lots of respect for Kia but he didn't have a legendary career in TM level. Yes he had few great games(China, USA, Iraq) but it is not like he was on the same page as Daei, and few others when it comes to TM.
                                However he had a decent career in Europe better than Daei even.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X