Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Queiroz's Iran reign ends in recrimination with Sweden loss - Article

By Philip O'Connor

STOCKHOLM, March 31 (Reuters) - Carlos Queiroz's reign as Iran manager ended with a 3-1 defeat away to Sweden in a friendly on Tuesday but the Portuguese coach did not go quietly as he delivered some stinging criticism of his employers.

Iranian media began reporting on March 20 that Queiroz would leave the job, which he took in April 2011, following international friendlies against Chile and Sweden following a bust-up with the country's sporting authorities.

Despite pleas from fans and players for Queiroz to stay, he confirmed at a post-match news conference that his time was up.

"There is a difference of opinion inside the federation. There are almost two federations, with two different opinions," the 62-year-old former Portugal and Real Madrid coach said.

"But when one of the parties think that they have the right to come in your face and humiliate you, offend you, treat you without respect -- me, my players, my staff -- that is not acceptable."

Queiroz led Iran to last year's World Cup in Brazil, where his team put in some decent performances despite finishing bottom of the group with one point, and in September the Portuguese extended his deal until 2018.

That contract has now ended, with Queiroz describing himself as "the weak link" in the power struggle between the country's FA and its sports ministry.

The coach said he had been told he had not met "the minimum requirements" for success laid down by the sports ministry.

He said the humiliation and undermining of his position left him with only one option but that he was leaving with his head held high.

VERY PROUD

"The most important thing is that, after four years, I feel very honoured and very proud of coaching this team and these players," Queiroz said.

"They have been fantastic, outstanding -- the commitment, the attitude, the dedication to the national team. I must say that I never saw and I never worked with such a group of players. They deliver so much and they receive so little."

Queiroz also thanked the Iran fans -- many of whom packed out the Friends Arena in Stockholm, making it seem more like a home game in Tehran than an away game in Sweden -- for their support during his time in charge.

"I have never received so much love, so much attention, so much affection as I have received from the Iranian fans," he said.

"I really want to express my deep gratitude, recognition and my love for them," he added, saying they knew the truth about the reasons for his departure.

"I'm sad to leave under these circumstances, but that's life. It's time to move on." (Reporting by Philip O'Connor; Editing by Ken Ferris)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/soccer-...4823--sow.html

F*** Alireza Asadi.

Comment

Originally posted by teammelli8080 View Post
      F*** Alireza Asadi.
      And his boss and the mafia gang, every day, all day for eternity!

Comment

fuck...

Comment

will be confirmed for sure once he return to iran and finalize everything bt i think 99% he is gone

Comment

We are officially coach-less right now!

And if we all think who we think is gonna coach ... say goodbye to Gucci, Haghighi and welcome Enayati and Rahmati

Comment

Hey there's still a chance. its not Wikipedia official yet

Jokes aside, this man will always have a special place in our hearts ( Most of us ). He truly worked hard so we can succeed and always put the shady, dark, selfish characters on blast. The important thing is our players learned a lot from him, they will be disciplined and professional for years to come and all owed to the great Carlose Koorooshi!l We know we wont have to deal with any soosool bazi from this squad as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kavian View Post
                We are officially coach-less right now!

And if we all think who we think is gonna coach ... say goodbye to Gucci, Haghighi and welcome Enayati and Rahmati
                Please don't even joke around that. Enyayati is dinosaur. If we invite Enayati I recommend ask Janati to join to complete our Khane Salmandan football team!

Comment

shit.. im actually scared that Rahmati might get a call up again.. thats the only thing im worried about!

Comment

So the Sports Ministry that wouldn't pay the salary for the coaching staff or even fix a goddamn training pitch, the same ministry that thinks Faraki is well-qualified to coach the national team, had very stern "requirements for success" that CQ was not able to meet! I'm sure every world class coach is now going to jump at the chance to work in this system! To those who are dreaming of Scolari, Lippi or any international coach with a proven track record, this is what will happen in every case if you expect the guy to work in Iran for more than a year max... Not get paid on time, not even have a proper training ground AND have to be insulted by some ape who wouldn't even get hired as janitor at the places a world class coach has worked in. Dream on boys.

Everything in that godforsaken system is set up to fail. They finally had a coach that the nation and the players both loved. Isn't that the whole point of a national team? To rally the people behind it and to be loved and supported by the nation?... But on the plus side they believe in "performance evaluations" though! We'll see how they evaluate performances when a Goodarzi-approved guy is in charge. We'll see what kind of 'evaluations' CQ's successor will be subjected to. We'll just wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by saadat_abad View Post
                      shit.. im actually scared that Rahmati might get a call up again.. thats the only thing im worried about!
                      Its horrifying to think so because this guy bring everyone down. Hes trash when it comes to leading and being a humble personality. Hes got the i'm better than everybody mindset and i don't think any of the players would wanna be in the same locker room as this guy yet alone trust him as the goalie.

If we go with an Iranian coach, i pray Mansourian takes over. I wouldn't mind giving Hashemian a chance since we gave khakpour a chance, at least he learned a thing or two from Pep G.

Comment

Originally posted by ArminSh View Post
                        Its horrifying to think so because this guy bring everyone down. Hes trash when it comes to leading and being a humble personality. Hes got the i'm better than everybody mindset and i don't think any of the players would wanna be in the same locker room as this guy yet alone trust him as the goalie.

If we go with an Iranian coach, i pray Mansourian takes over. I wouldn't mind giving Hashemian a chance since we gave khakpour a chance, at least he learned a thing or two from Pep G.
                        yeah... just no GN, or Derakhshan.

Comment

I'm so incredibly frustrated. Carlos wanted to stay. The people wanted him to stay. The players wanted him to stay.

so what was the f**** problem?

what's the true agenda here? I don't understand why Asadi and co. wanted CQ out. Does anyone who follows the news in Iran closely know? Isn't it in Asadi's interest to keep a coach that the people like?

Comment

Originally posted by ramingeles2000 View Post
                            I'm so incredibly frustrated. Carlos wanted to stay. The people wanted him to stay. The players wanted him to stay.

what's the true agenda here? I don't understand why Asadi and co. wanted CQ out. Does anyone who follows the news in Iran closely know? Isn't it in Asadi's interest to keep a coach that the people like?
                            are you living in la la land?
                            since when does any authority figure in Iran give a dam about what the people want?

Edit: I see you are living in LA
                            WE ARE THE UNDER DOGS

Comment

Originally posted by ramingeles2000 View Post

It all comes down to feeling threatened. They know they suck at managing from Goudarzi to Assadi and so on. They know a guy like CQ doesn't close his eyes and do as they say. CQ tells them how to do things only because they don't know how and they don't like that. its simple as that.

These backwards idiots could have learned from this guy, CQ actually worked with FIFA for a long time and is very good at management and writing long term plans. He wrote a fricking book in USA on how to improve their soccer within 10 years or so i believe and a lot of the programs mentioned in the book are still in action in USA. Even tho they know hes a good coach and its for the best interest of our team, all they care aboout is power. They wont have full power with CQ in charge so hes got to go..

Comment

Working...
                              X