World Cup 2018 Qualification Gets Under Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jose Mourinho backs World Cup expansion proposal

More passion, more happiness, more enthusiasm' - Mourinho backs World Cup expansion

Gianni Infantino's plans to expand the competition to 48 teams have been met with plenty of opposition, but the Manchester United boss is in favour

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has backed proposals to expand the World Cup to 48 teams as he believes players would be better protected.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino is hoping his plan to have 16 groups of three teams from the 2026 tournament onwards will be received favourably when the FIFA Council get together next week.

The influential European Club Association - of which United are a member - has already expressed their disapproval, but Mourinho is behind the potential reform.

Infantino: Expansion plans have support

He told FIFA.com: "I'm totally in favour. As a club manager, if the expansion meant more games, less holidays and less pre-season for players, I would say no. But it's important for critics to analyse and understand that expansion doesn't mean more matches. Players are protected and clubs are protected in this way.

"I prefer groups of three. Two matches and then through to the knockout stages or go home. This way, the two group matches are crucial, then the knockout stage is next which brings even more emotion.

"Teams with less potential and experience will probably play two matches and go home. But they would do so having improved and gained experience on the pitch, which would be added to the economic rewards of appearing at the finals - including further investment in their footballing infrastructure.

"The expansion means that the World Cup will be even more of an incredible social event. More countries, more investment in different countries in infrastructure, in youth football.

World Cup: More is not always merrier

"More nations taking part means more passion, more happiness, more enthusiasm. More countries means more Africans, Asians, Americans together.

"Football is developed in the clubs, so we can't expect football to explode in terms of quality at a World Cup. The World Cup is a social event and football can't relinquish this opportunity to further reflect fans' passion."

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/67/wo...o-backs-world-

Comment

Originally posted by Sarbaze-Vatan View Post
      I disagree with you. World Cup with 48 teams (16 groups of three teams) is the best. Two teams from each group advances to the knockout stage. The winner of the WC will not play more than 7 games like current format.
      No i don't want to see a group of
      -Zimbabwe
      -Belarus
      -Qatar
      No disrespect to those countries (except Qatar lol) but they shouldn't participate in a world cup if they aren't strong enough.
      Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies.

Comment

Asia will have 8.5 spots!!!!!!!! That is double what we have now.

Only good news from this is that we will make the world cup every time.

Comment

Originally posted by irani8perspolis View Post
          Asia will have 8.5 spots!!!!!!!! That is double what we have now.

Only good news from this is that we will make the world cup every time.
          Are you kidding? This is TM.
          Even if every single one of our players was a star in a top 5 European club we'd still make qualifying an absolute pain!

Comment

I think 48 should be the max of countries in a world cup otherwise its not even competitive anymore. I dont think we'll see groups of Zimbabwe, Qatar, Belarus as these countries arent even close to
            qualifying in the format now. There will be some big scorelines but not too many. Assume 8 spots for Asia it aill most likely be Aussie, Japan, SK, Iran, Uzbekistan, Saudi, UAE, and a wild card team.

Look at the top 50 in fifa rankings and there are still strong teams there that normally dont qualify. Egypt, Mali, Iceland, Denmark etc.

As Iran we can easily convert this opportunity if we play our cards right and qualify to each tournament starting with 2018. The continuity leads to exposure which leads to more legionnaires, investment, sponsorships and progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Erfan11 View Post
              No i don't want to see a group of
              -Zimbabwe
              -Belarus
              -Qatar
              No disrespect to those countries (except Qatar lol) but they shouldn't participate in a world cup if they aren't strong enough.
              There will be seeding before the draw. The seeding is usually based on the FIFA ranking. If any of those nations make the WC, they will be in last seed (Pot 3) most likely.

I was reading the comments in Navad website regard this. For example, one of the fans said expanding the number of WC teams to 48 is a good news for us because we do not have to pay $2.5 millions (This is without tax) to CQ and his assistants per year to qualify us to the WC. Even the coaches from Iran second division league can qualify us if they increase the WC teams to 48 and devote 8.5 berths to Asia. In the WC with 48 teams, the goal should be passing couple rounds at least (Group stage and one knock out stage). For a country like South Korea, qualifying to the WC will be like walk in the park in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
                Even if every single one of our players was a star in a top 5 European club we'd still make qualifying an absolute pain!
                Haha true words, just look how good we started now, and what clown show we are in now (as usual)

Comment

We're typically a very traditional nation, so based on that gotta keep the tradition! [emoji75][emoji106]

In a serious note, as good as 48 teams in WC sounds, but at the same time it means each group will bear 3 teams, and each team gets to play only 2 games. That by itself is a let down for me. Imagine you're grouped with Brazil and a seed B team like Sweden/Uruguay/Holland etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A 48 team World Cup would single handily take away all the prestige it has.

Modern football is going to get so ruined by these FIFA fools.

Comment

A group of three logically implies that one team in each group will always play its first match against a team which has already played. What's wrong with groups of four?

Comment

100% political decision, heavily influenced by marginal nations like Qatar & Co.

Comment

Its basically to guarantee China and Qatar entry into every World Cup.

Comment

Its basically to guarantee China and Qatar entry into every World Cup.
                            Unfortunately, they still won't qualify.

The current WCQ ranking in Asia
                            1 Iran 11 pts
                            2 Saudi Arabia 10pts
                            3 Japan 10pts
                            4 South Korea 10pts
                            5 Australia 9pts
                            6 Uzbekistan 9pts
                            7 UAE 9pts
                            8 Syria 5pts
                            --direct qualification--
                            9 Qatar 4pts
                            --play off--
                            10 Iraq 3pts
                            11 China 2pts
                            12 Thailand 1pt

Comment

China lost to Iceland 2-0 this morning. Both teams used virtual C teams with many players with less than 5 caps each. Looks like Lippi wants to find new blood for a team that has done quite poorly so far. I hope he at least can muster a tie vs South Korea.

Saudi is playing a friendly va Slovenia B team 28 min gone 0-0

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post
                                China lost to Iceland 2-0 this morning. Both teams used virtual C teams with many players with less than 5 caps each. Looks like Lippi wants to find new blood for a team that has done quite poorly so far. I hope he at least can muster a tie vs South Korea.

Saudi is playing a friendly va Slovenia B team 28 min gone 0-0
                                And we play against "local African players" oh dear....

Comment

Working...
                                X