Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 of 4 teams from Asia made it to the next round time for reflection

I hope the great moderators allow this to be published:
    South Korea just qualified as well and along with Japan and Australia advanced to the next round. Iran as the highest ranked team in Asia failed as we arguably have the strongest squads in TM history. We all know more than internal factors like the coach or players, it was the external factors in the stadium and outside that led to this result. As a hardcore fan and while visiting Iran, many years back my daughters wanted to go to "Azadi" stadium to watch a TM game in Iran. (Ironic that Azadi stadium does not allow free access for half the population even today!). Although like many of their expatriates my daughters were born and raised outside Iran, their passion for TM was/is as much as their dad. It was only then that with embarrassment I had to tell them they were not allowed to watch the matches of their TM which they could not understand.
    Yesterday we watched Germany Costa Rica game to be refereed by a cast of all Women! For those of Persian Football fans who had gone along with this dark age policy, could you imagine if one of our matches was refed by 3 women? Would Iran media not show any/all scenes where the ref was running around the field?
    The absurdity of these policies is combined with the silence of the fans who failed to stand up many years back for what is right and sometimes justifying the separation with excuses (oh male fans use bad language in stadium so women should be banned!). I could not help but wonder, if we were pushing harder and at least played our part back then for a change in policy, we would not be in a mess we are today? It was back in 2010 that many of us were advocating not going to stadiums unless we are all allowed to go in but we did not push hard enough not to politicize football, but the very fact that someone had decided these policies were political, and our role was to go along with it or object. . Alas the short term "fun" gave way to long term course and the snowballing effect.
    Now we can discuss the next coach or merit of this or that player, but unless we address the elephant in the room what hope do we have for a divided and scarred team? Consider this just the babbling and reflection of a fan who got no joy in watching world cup but more important a torn country where the national team the source of pride for all nations, were called "BeeSharaf" or some people back home cheering for opposing team. Just wanted to get this out of my chest​

Fact check: 3 out of 5 (You forgot Saudi), Also Let's not mix issues, Absolutely agree on women's riight to many things including attending games. Germany, Belgium, Denmark are the most progressive countries in this world cup and the world when it comes to women rights, yet they did not make it to next round. Let's look elsewhere for our continuous failure to advance.

Comment

Originally posted by topotour View Post
      Fact check: 3 out of 5 (You forgot Saudi), Also Let's not mix issues, Absolutely agree on women's riight to many things including attending games. Germany, Belgium, Denmark are the most progressive countries in this world cup and the world when it comes to women rights, yet they did not make it to next round. Let's look elsewhere for our continuous failure to advance.
      Fact check -3 out of 6

Out: Saudi , Iran , Qatar

In: Japan, Australia, South Korea

Comment

FOR THE NEWBIES OR OTHERS

Pfdc UNWRITTEN rule

Do NOT PUT RESULT OF MATCHES ON YOUR TOPIC
        HEADLINE, SOME PEOPLE WATCH ON TAPE DELAY

Comment

rolf 3 out of 4..... which world cup have you been watching?

Comment

Thank you, I stand corrected. But the point was the number of teams that advanced from Asia pool and why we did not. Even at 50% percent 3 out of 6 instead of 75% we could ask why not us?

Comment

All I know, is this will make AFC stronger by ranking and winning AFC will actually be worth it.

Comment

1-Seems a lot of ppl here missed the forest for the trees!
                whether out of 4 or 6 doesnt matter. Whats important is that while we lost to a very young, inexperienced US team, others were DEFEATING GIANTS and WC winners like Argentina, Germany, Spain and Euro chaps Portugal & denmark !!!!
                (ironically the same teams some "proudly" say we lost 1-0 or 2-0 to !!!!)

as long as we're happy wt crumbs (and meaningless, useless titles like No. 1 in asia) , we will remain stagnant.

2- On the women's and freedom issue.
                We, men, are far more guilty than anyone else when we SHOULD have acted and taken a position, we wimped out and blamed the backward regime!
                saying "it's political" is absolutely wrong. Its CULTURAL. and sports is part of culture. and such issues MUST be addressed.
                who made it political?
                The regime. Not fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
                  1-Seems a lot of ppl here missed the forest for the trees!
                  whether out of 4 or 6 doesnt matter. Whats important is that while we lost to a very young, inexperienced US team, others were DEFEATING GIANTS and WC winners like Argentina, Germany, Spain and Euro chaps Portugal & denmark !!!!
                  (ironically the same teams some "proudly" say we lost 1-0 or 2-0 to !!!!)

as long as we're happy wt crumbs (and meaningless, useless titles like No. 1 in asia) , we will remain stagnant.

2- On the women's and freedom issue.
                  We, men, are far more guilty than anyone else when we SHOULD have acted and taken a position, we wimped out and blamed the backward regime!
                  saying "it's political" is absolutely wrong. Its CULTURAL. and sports is part of culture. and such issues MUST be addressed.
                  who made it political?
                  The regime. Not fans.
                  The teams you quote aren't giant, only their name is giant.
                  Denmark is an average team that only pop up for last year euro cup.
                  Portugal field a B team as they don't care about the result

Comment

^ Irrelevant as both the Danes' team and Portugal's B side still are better than the US' team.

no. the problem is we become satisfied wt mediocrity, and CQ happily sold us mediocrity.

Comment

^ Irrelevant as both the Danes' team and Portugal's B side still are better than the US' team.

no. the problem is we become satisfied wt mediocrity, and CQ happily sold us mediocrity.
                      While I agree that cq got the game plan wrong, I greatly disagree that Denmark or Portugal’s B team are better than this US team. They were class, and they went toe to toe with the same England who beat us 6-2. Once again, I don’t deny we messed up tactically (not saving Azmoun for the second half and not starting Torabi/Amiri to ensure we kept the pace and the goal closed in the first 45), but we held our own overall with all the off field issues. Just a bad situation all around.

Comment

3 democratic, developed countries, where everything has proper planning and meritocratic management. Well deserved and happy for them. It would be unfair otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
                          3 democratic, developed countries, where everything has proper planning and meritocratic management. Well deserved and happy for them. It would be unfair otherwise.
                          I get want you’re saying Navid jan, but there are other issues.
                          I don’t think having a democracy is why a country does well in football. There’s no significant relation.
                          In Iran’s case democracy probably wouldn’t hurt our football but we have a major development issue in football in Iran.

Comment

US has players from Chelsea, Dortmund, leipzig, Valencia, milan, Lille, Norwich etc...

Our squad is full of IPL/QSL and some mediocre euro teams like charleroi and aek Athens. Add to that all the mess surrounding Iran, what did you expect? I would agree if US squad was full MLS but that's not the case

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post

US has players from Chelsea, Dortmund, leipzig, Valencia, milan, Lille, Norwich etc...

Our squad is full of IPL/QSL and some mediocre euro teams like charleroi and aek Athens. Add to that all the mess surrounding Iran, what did you expect? I would agree if US squad was full MLS but that's not the case
                              Yet we played much better and organized football when we had more domestic players against bigger teams like portugal with fully fit and ready ronaldo and spain!

Again lack of preps is the main problem not players! Can we talk about the poor tactics and lineups by CQ!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X