No announcement yet.

FIFA Council: Worldcup 2026 and beyond will include 48 teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

48 teams may kill the quality of football for the World Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by EZLN View Post
      I think if the spots get allocated properly to each confederation, it's not such a bad idea.

The problem is that FIFA wants to give Asia more than its fair share, because Asia is such a growing market. They particularly want countries like China, UAE, Qatar etc to qualify- obviously for more money in their own pockets.

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea, if they allocate the spots something like this:

UEFA: 13 (+7) = 20
      CAF: 5 (+3) = 8
      AFC: 4.5 (+2.5) = 7
      CONMEBOL: 4.5 (+1.5) = 6
      CONCACAF: 3.5 (+1.5) = 5
      OFC: 0.5 (+0.5) = 1
      Plus one for Host

Europe easily has 7 quality teams each time that don't qualify.

Africa easily has 8 quality teams. Just look at their stars playing in Europe.

Asia... Okay we might not have 7 quality teams lol, but let's face it, the majority of the world's population lives in our continent. And giving 7 out of 48 spots to AFC isn't that crazy. Besides, the world's economical power is shifting towards the east. And it's not like anyone else is getting totally screwed if we get 7.

South America... 6/10 teams qualifying is fair. Although I wouldn't argue if someone says they should get 7. But come on guys, its the WORLD Cup.

North America... 5 is fair.

Oceania: They can finally get one full spot. By the way, there are talks within Australia of them going back to OFC to qualify from their own continent.
      One of the best comments in this thread.

Comment

I think It was a right decision to expand the WC to 48 teams. Read this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ecome-apparent

In 2015, in a hotel restaurant in Kuala Lumpur, Iran coach Carlos Queiroz was talking qualification. In Asia, he said, there are three countries with a credit card that produces an automatic World Cup spot with just a simple swipe: Japan, South Korea and Australia. His Iran were always competing with Uzbekistan, Saudi Arabia and perhaps North Korea and United Arab Emirates for the fourth and last automatic berth. And the other near-40 nations of Asia? The former Real Madrid coach just shrugged.

While the Portuguese may have intended to stress his own achievements with Iran, he was stating a simple truth. With South Korea, Japan and the Socceroos usually making it, that leaves one spot for the other 43 - for the vast majority in the world’s biggest continent. The dream is as distant as relations between Sepp Blatter and Gianni Infantino. Talk to heads of various federations around Asia and hear the variety of “Project 2022s”, it is almost cruel to point out that 15 other nations have similar grandiose plans and one, perhaps, will achieve it.

But not for much longer. Having three more automatic spots gives perhaps at least 7 realistic chance but an improved quota of seven really opens it up. Even if the big four (the three credit card holders and Iran) have their spots, that leaves at least three for the rest in a much more open field. It gives seven or so a genuine opportunity, the same number an outside chance, and more still a dream.

Take Thailand. The country is doing all the right things: investing in the league, grassroots, producing decent players and aiming for as much overseas experience as possible but the World Cup is still some years away, if at all. Expansion brings the competition firmly within touching distance and if Thailand can do it, there is huge motivation lower down the rankings. Having to compete with South Korea, Australia and Japan is not an option for many in the short to medium term but fighting it out with Jordan for the last spot? That are plenty who would fancy their chances.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarbaze-Vatan View Post
          In 2015, in a hotel restaurant in Kuala Lumpur, Iran coach Carlos Queiroz was talking qualification. In Asia, he said, there are three countries with a credit card that produces an automatic World Cup spot with just a simple swipe: Japan, South Korea and Australia. His Iran were always competing with Uzbekistan, Saudi Arabia and perhaps North Korea and United Arab Emirates for the fourth and last automatic berth. And the other near-40 nations of Asia? The former Real Madrid coach just shrugged
          This comment of Queiroz really left a bad taste for me, I just hate it how he downgrades our team and tells how we are comparable to 2nd tier asian teams. It's just not a fair statement from him.

Comment

If only we had investment in our football we would blow Japan, SK, Australia out of the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiarash View Post
              This comment of Queiroz really left a bad taste for me, I just hate it how he downgrades our team and tells how we are comparable to 2nd tier asian teams. It's just not a fair statement from him.
              I don't like it either but if we are realistic it is somewhat true. We are a really good team but we are always struggling to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post
                If only we had investment in our football we would blow Japan, SK, Australia out of the water.
                well, Proper Football INVE$TMENT$ & PROFESSIONALISM..!! until then this is the realistic ranking of our football in Asia..!
                wait for CQ to leave and we be lucky to even maintain a semi-steady 2nd grade asian ranking..!

Comment

Originally posted by Kiarash View Post
                  Originally posted by pres80 View Post
                  I don't like it either but if we are realistic it is somewhat true. We are a really good team but we are always struggling to make it.
                  How about right after the end of draw for final round of WCQs 2018 when Korea, Qatar, China, etc coaches said Korea and Iran are favorites just on the paper but CQ said for him Korea and Qatar are top favorites?

How about before the last Asian Cup tournament when he said UAE and Qatar are better and favorite to pass the group stage not Iran and the candidates for winning the Asian Cup are Australia, Japan, Korea, and other countries not Iran?

Unlike PFDC and Facebook, he lost many fans in Iran. Most Perspolis and Esteghlal fans in the website of thse two teams were writing many comments against him recently.

Comment

Originally posted by BacheLot View Post
                    well, Proper Football INVE$TMENT$ & PROFESSIONALISM..!! until then this is the realistic ranking of our football in Asia..!
                    wait for CQ to leave and we be lucky to even maintain a semi-steady 2nd grade asian ranking..!
                    You are talking like Iran was always 3rd/4th tier national team before arrival of CQ. From 1996-present, Iran NT was always a first tier Asian national team with exception of 2008-2012. I cannot remember any football tournaments/matches before 1996 due to my age.

Comment

Originally posted by Abtin View Post
                      arab teams are probably having an aroosi in their koon right now.
                      Rude and improper language. What the hell? Cannot you write properly without using a bad language???
                      چو ایران نباشد تن من مباد

Comment

Good comments are posted. Thanks.

Iran's football is reflection of its sick society and people. Iran and Iranians must focus on cleaning up favoritism, nepotism, and other corruptions.

Iran and Iranians must focus on youth programs at all levels. Similar to what Mahdavi-kia said last week on 90 program.

If proper youth programs are established and corruptions are minimized, Iran will qualify.

By the way, I am against increasing the numbers to 48. 36 or even 24 is better for qualification to mean something. Easy qualification and soon elimination will take away from hard work.

Iran must a have plan to reach the second round and that becomes a habit, something like Mexico or Columbia and keep improving similar to Futsal.
                        چو ایران نباشد تن من مباد

Comment

Originally posted by Babak agha View Post
                          WTH North America would have more slots than South?
                          because north america has 35 nations, south america just 10 nations. read first. 6 out of 10 teams = 60% of the south american continent will be in the world cup.
                          World Cup 2006, Frankfurt, Iran vs. Portugal, Iranian Frontpage of GOAL Sportspaper
                          sigpic

And on the 8.Day God created Ali Karimi, and he saw he was good!
                          If Defenders were allowed to use their hands to stop Karimi
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by EZLN View Post
                            I think if the spots get allocated properly to each confederation, it's not such a bad idea.
                            The problem is that FIFA wants to give Asia more than its fair share, because Asia is such a growing market. They particularly want countries like China, UAE, Qatar etc to qualify- obviously for more money in their own pockets.

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea, if they allocate the spots something like this:

UEFA: 13 (+7) = 20
                            CAF: 5 (+3) = 8
                            AFC: 4.5 (+2.5) = 7
                            CONMEBOL: 4.5 (+1.5) = 6
                            CONCACAF: 3.5 (+1.5) = 5
                            OFC: 0.5 (+0.5) = 1
                            Plus one for Host

Europe easily has 7 quality teams each time that don't qualify.

Africa easily has 8 quality teams. Just look at their stars playing in Europe.

Asia... Okay we might not have 7 quality teams lol, but let's face it, the majority of the world's population lives in our continent. And giving 7 out of 48 spots to AFC isn't that crazy. Besides, the world's economical power is shifting towards the east. And it's not like anyone else is getting totally screwed if we get 7.

South America... 6/10 teams qualifying is fair. Although I wouldn't argue if someone says they should get 7. But come on guys, its the WORLD Cup.

North America... 5 is fair.

Oceania: They can finally get one full spot. By the way, there are talks within Australia of them going back to OFC to qualify from their own continent.

lol Australia going back, funny, just came and take advantage, now going because it is easier?? btw if asia has 8,5 slots, the chance to qualify from asia is still higher than vs. new zealand in an final match

i think your slots are overrated for europe.

I think Russia, Turkey, aserbaidschan, armenia, georgia, cyprus, kazakhstan should stay where they are, not coming back to asia.

I also think, there should be a rule that 16 teams of ONE continent is the maximum possible. south america and north america to be one confederation, is not a bad idea, because this makes qualification more interesting. 6 out of 10 teams is not that fair, but 13,5 out of 41 makes more sense.

16 should be always the maximum number of slots possible for a continent. for example, if one continent collect more points as another continent, they can take their slots.

For the beginning, Europe with 16 teams a maximum and south-north america with 13-14 teams is more than realistic and good. still 41 teams of both continent together is still lesser than africa (53) and asia (45).

I would say:

Europe: 16
                            American Continent: 13
                            Africa: 9
                            Asia: 8,5
                            Oceanian: 1,5 (to give a team beside new zealand at least an playoff chance vs. Asian No.9 team)
                            World Cup 2006, Frankfurt, Iran vs. Portugal, Iranian Frontpage of GOAL Sportspaper
                            sigpic

And on the 8.Day God created Ali Karimi, and he saw he was good!
                            If Defenders were allowed to use their hands to stop Karimi
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post
                              Well I can't talk about the other nations, but there isn't very much investment in Australian football.

There is just a lot of good connections in this country, along with the fact that the European influence in Australia means that everyone holds some sort of EU passport (making European transfers easier)

Comment

Originally posted by saeed_noro View Post
                                because north america has 35 nations, south america just 10 nations. read first. 6 out of 10 teams = 60% of the south american continent will be in the world cup.
                                I know Saied joon, but still..

Comment

Working...
                                X