Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CQ Iran Assessment Thread! (Mature Non-Emotional Discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CQ Iran Assessment Thread! (Mature Non-Emotional Discussion)

From what I see from the discussion here http://www.persianfootball.com/forum...81#post2714281 , the two camps argument is centered around Iran's level of football class before CQ joined us.

Those, who rate him favorably, say and think Iran's level was not the top of Asia when CQ joined us, and he made us the number 1 Asian team, with the best defense on the whole continent (something that has been Iran's weak point since a long time).

Those, who don't rate him favorably, say and think Iran was already the best of Asia before CQ and therefor after 8 years he should have brought us to
    second round of WC.

So, really I think the question should be, do you think Iran was the best Asian team before CQ or not?!
    I think based on the answer to this question, we can understand the other side better.
    I am just trying to connect our thoughts and find a middle ground!

What you guys think? Is it the right way to put it?
    Lets discuss this maturely.
    Last edited by Adesor Vafaseya; 12-09-2020, 12:19 AM.
    CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Great Post Farhad jan.

Eventhough they have always been among the best teams in the continent, they could never be continuously stable, there were always periods where the team failed but during CQ, the team could constantly maintain a steady level that many times stretched across the continent and reasonably matched against European teams who played modern football.

I do not know how to put it, but I could summarise that CQ introduced a modern way of thinking when it comes to football. He simply modernized the national team's way of thinking of football, playing football.

And last but not least, he introduced discipline, which has been the biggest problem when it comes to basically all team sports in Iran.
    Last edited by Essi; 12-09-2020, 12:57 AM.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken since Asia has 4,5 teams qualifying for WC (excluding 2002 as Japan & Korea were already qualified and the play-offs were against a European team) we have qualified 3 out of 4 times quite easily. So it's hard to judge a performance based on that fact.

As for the WC themselves, 2006 we had a good game against Mexico but lost. 2014 we had a great game against Argentina but lost and 2018 we two good games against Spain and Portugal.

So I would say there was a small progress there from 1 ok game to two good games. Nevertheless we still did not manage to qualify for the next round. Based purely on WC games, I would say we did better with CQ than without him.

Asian cups were similar, nothing changed. Under Branco we were *** edited *** by the ref, so I would say under him we had the biggest chance of actually winning it. So no progress under CQ here.

Overal I would say it's too early to say whether we improved a lot or not (need more WCQ), but based on WC performance we did improve, however not as substantial as some put it.

---------
      Moderator's note - edited part: a certain word starting with F was edited.... rest of post OK of course.
      Last edited by Adesor Vafaseya; 12-09-2020, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Essi View Post
        Great Post Farhad jan.
        Eventhough they have always been among the best teams in the continent, they could never be continuously stable, there were always periods where the team failed but during CQ, the team could constantly maintain a steady level that many times stretched across the continent and reasonably matched against European teams who played modern football.
        I do not know how to put it, but I could summarise that CQ introduced a modern way of thinking when it comes to football. He simply modernized the national team's way of thinking of football, playing football.
        And last but not least, he introduced discipline, which has been the biggest problem when it comes to basically all team sports in Iran.
        Tactical discipline sure, but mental/emotional discipline, no.

This is one of my issues with him. I feel like his temper and constant crying on the sideline was no different (arguably worse) than a vatani coach. We saw the results of that in the Asian cup match against Japan. Of course there are other discipline issues like letting Ezzatollahi waltz back into the team after being red carded for stomping on the head of the Korean player which set a bad example.
        Last edited by The; 12-09-2020, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Be nazare man Japon daste kam 20 saal ast ke na tanha behtarin team mellie Asia raa daraad, balke behtarin lig ham hamintor.

Az nazare ZIRBANA, KEIFIYATE BAZIKON, KEIFIYATE MORRABBIE DAKHELI va TAKTIK jelotar az hameye keshvarhaaye Asia hastand.

Kaari ke CQ kard, az didgaahe man, ine ke yek NAZME DEFAAYI daad be team, ke HARGEZ pishtar nadashtim, yek FALSEFEYE TAKTIKIE ASHKAAR

BE KAAR BORD ke shod yeki az khososiyaathaaye TM bood, yek tarze fekre GOROHI daad be TM, ke in ham pishtar nadashtim, va talash kard yek serie

karhaa dar zamineye SAKHTARI dar federation bekone (manande saakhte yek tamrin-gaah baraye TM, bargozaarie ordohaaye dorost o hesaabi, vaa..

Masale ine ke Iran dar daste yek regimie ke na barash honar moheme, na varzesh.

Dar Japon honar va varzesh jaygaahaaye besyaar mohemi darand.

Be har haal dame CQ garm, kaarhaayi kard ke hichkas pishtar az khodesh nakarde bood.
          DROOD BAR AHMAD KASRAVI.

Comment

Many say it’s easy to qualify for the World Cup and any coach can do it forget the mess Wilmots put Us in....

Comment

Originally posted by PersianLion80 View Post
              Many say it’s easy to qualify for the World Cup and any coach can do it forget the mess Wilmots put Us in....
              It's never easy to qualify for WC. People think that our opponents are pashm och sitting and just playing with their balls. Regardless level of our opponents, they are working at leas as hart as us if not more (Most probably) to qualify. They spend lot of money becuase WC it the most honourable tournament/happening within International Football. It wouldnt be wrong statement to say, the team that had best preparation have best chance to qualify. The preparation includes also mentally.

Comment

I think the easiest way to put it.

WC 2002 - Non existent

WC 2006 - Watched this with a bunch of friends. A lot of them Mexicans. I really talked up TM and ended up really embarrassed. Iran straight up sucked.

WC 2010 - Non existent

(CQ enters the chat)

WC 2014 - Not a super amazing performance, but definitely more proud of TM.

WC 2018 - Incredibly proud of TM, regardless of not moving on.

Its obvious to see the positive impact CQ has had on TM. CQ is a world renowned manager who people actually know and respect. In my opinion he reformed TM into being more open to legionnaires and being more palatable to the west.

Anyone who thinks CQ didnt have a positive impact on TM is delusional.
                #WilmotsOUT

Comment

Originally posted by Bladsville View Post
                  I think the easiest way to put it.

WC 2002 - Non existent

WC 2006 - Watched this with a bunch of friends. A lot of them Mexicans. I really talked up TM and ended up really embarrassed. Iran straight up sucked.

WC 2010 - Non existent

(CQ enters the chat)

WC 2014 - Not a super amazing performance, but definitely more proud of TM.

WC 2018 - Incredibly proud of TM, regardless of not moving on.

Its obvious to see the positive impact CQ has had on TM. CQ is a world renowned manager who people actually know and respect. In my opinion he reformed TM into being more open to legionnaires and being more palatable to the west.

Anyone who thinks CQ didnt have a positive impact on TM is delusional.
                  i think you’re being a little bit harsh on 2014 wc team. to be tooth and nail against nigeria and even argentina is a great achievement. we just had a mental collapse against bosnia that probably shifted your perspective of our entire performance

Comment

Originally posted by kian_khosh View Post
                    i think you’re being a little bit harsh on 2014 wc team. to be tooth and nail against nigeria and even argentina is a great achievement. we just had a mental collapse against bosnia that probably shifted your perspective of our entire performance
                    Do not get me wrong, after every TM match of the 2014 WC (other than Bosnia) I left with my head held high.

I guess I could have elaborated a bit more with "Definitely more proud", but yes you are spot on. It was a great achievement and the new players really gave us something to look forward to which was apparent in the subsequent AC and WC performances.
                    #WilmotsOUT

Comment

I think the biggest sin of CQ was to raise our expectations. Before him, we were used to nail-biting games against Bahrain, Oman, and UAE, and doing a lot of what if analysis; who needs to beat whom by how many goals for us to qualify, etc, etc.

With CQ, not only we were not happy just qualifying, we expected to move to the second round in a group with Spain, Portugal, and Morocco. We were upset that we did not beat Portugal, the reigning European Champions, only getting a tie.

Damn CQ for raising our expectations so high. Fortunately, IFF had the wisdom of hiring Wilmots to put us back in our place. Now we are back in the familiar "if and but" territory we were so comfortable with. Now, even the preliminary qualification rounds are so exciting!! Damn CQ!!
                      Sign this petition to show opposition to US/UK support for the Rajavi/MKO cult

https://chng.it/ZsSzczNC2Z

Comment

Originally posted by nisfejahan View Post
                        I think the biggest sin of CQ was to raise our expectations. Before him, we were used to nail-biting games against Bahrain, Oman, and UAE, and doing a lot of what if analysis; who needs to beat whom by how many goals for us to qualify, etc, etc.

With CQ, not only we were not happy just qualifying, we expected to move to the second round in a group with Spain, Portugal, and Morocco. We were upset that we did not beat Portugal, the reigning European Champions, only getting a tie.

Damn CQ for raising our expectations so high. Fortunately, IFF had the wisdom of hiring Wilmots to put us back in our place. Now we are back in the familiar "if and but" territory we were so comfortable with. Now, even the preliminary qualification rounds are so exciting!! Damn CQ!!
                        Spot on.

We were literally the favorites to win AC 2019. It was player error, not coach, that made us lose horribly to Japan in what many believe to be a fluke. Shit happens. Don't forget the countless clean sheets and easy wins we had getting up to that point and how many times CQ had to fight with the fucking stubborn ass IFF with payment, banning of players, etc etc.

Given the circumstances, he is one of, if not the best, coaches Iran has ever had. No one comes close. PERIOD.
                        #WilmotsOUT

Comment

Originally posted by kian_khosh View Post
                          To you and I, and the rest of the TM fans the Nigeria game was a tooth and nail match. The rest of the world saw it as TM parking the bus for 90 minutes, not doing anything creative, and was the first game of the tournament that ended in a draw.

Comment

One word leaps to my mind when I think of the CQ-TM collaboration era, and that is 'Consistency'. I come from a football-crazed family and have always followed football, especially Iranian football ever since I was 6-7. Suffice to say in my childhood in Iran, there was not a single Perspolis/TM match that me and my family did not attend at Azadi stadium. I have wept and jubilated over our football my entire life, although the sorrow and sadness of our football outcome in international stages had often edged over the happiness moments (For people of my generation at least) We often didn't even qualify to the World Cups, or qualified a few times at the highest level of Halloweenish fashion!

The only 2 WCQ that we qualified at such ease and dominance was during CQ's reign. Some might object by referring to our 2006 WCQ, however those who remember we almost didn't make it out of our group stage in the first round of the qualifier.

On another note, never ever in my entire years of following Iranian football, have I seen soooooo many TM players unitedly support and love their TM coach. NEVER!

CQ despite being one of the most disciplined and toughest coaches of the world, managed to create the most organized and compassionate TM and in general Iranian teams that the country has ever witnessed in its entirety. Of course I am only referring to his relationship with his players, otherwise we all know he always was in constant clashes with the IR authorities (Rightfully so), fighting for his team and his players, staff etc.

Typically and historically our football and in particular TM had always been suffering from a conspicuously SOORAAKH defense symptom. We just couldn't and didn't know how to form a solid and strong defense line. It typically was always our weakest link. Only during CQ's era we managed to build an amazingly formidable and impenetrable defense disallowing even some of the strongest teams of the world to get through our defense and score.

Therefore to me Mr. CQ gets by far the highest rating of all his predecessors hands down!

Comment

This is an interesting way to frame the discussion.
                              My views are well known about this topic so I'll keep it short. There is no evidence to say we were the best in Asia at the time period after WC 2006 to 2011. We only squeaked out our AC group in 2007 and lost to Korea in QF. World cup 2010 we finished 4th out of 5 in a group that had S. Korea, Saudi, NK and UAE. If we really were the best in Asia there is no excuse to finish behind North Korea.

Did we win titles with CQ? No but we had a foundation set for contonuous improvement of our football which somehow was blown up by Wilmots and IFF. I prefer gradual progress than highs and lows.

Comment

Working...
                              X