No announcement yet.

World Cups - Every 2 years or 4 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked wenger answer about linking time to prestige. In this case, why not having a WC every 5, 8 or 10 years!
    WC has prestige because the best teams, players and quality of the game.

What destroy wc prestige is to expand the number of teams to 48, with bangladesh and samoa.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
      You’d break the league down into sub groups. 1-24 25-48, 49-72 etc.
      You’d promote, relegate or stay in the league you’re already in after playing all games in the season.
      You’d have centralized locations for each group to minimize travel.
      Each tournament would be its own World Cup.
      The winner of the 1-24 group would be the world champion.

this is interesting.
      the tier system provides incentive for teams to advance to the upper levels.

but it defeats your original demaand of teams like Iran meeting top class teams.
      we'll be at best meeting the likes of Uruguay, mexico, poland, ireland, Belgium, Colombia, .... and most probably get relegated to the lower tier as we'd most probably lose to all of these and such teams!!!!

coz lets not fool ourselves. on paper, we might be at 20-24 rank. But if we meet any of the teams in this section, we'd lose.
      our ranking is based on meeting crap like bahrai, iraq, ghater, uzbeks, ...

and I seriously doubt we'd ever meet the likes of germany, netherlands, spain, portugal, argentina, ... (the teams we have met at the WC )

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
        T
        You don't find painful to watch the whole world playing during 4 years, progressing when we have nothing than one game against japan, two against sk and iraq, Syria and Uzbekistan?

absolutely.
        it's most painful.
        and it's that pain that makes the whole thing so precious.

Therefore no higher incentive for nations to develop and raise themselves to the level they can finally achieve orgas... umm ... I mean qualification

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
          absolutely.
          it's most painful.
          and it's that pain that makes the whole thing so precious.

Therefore no higher incentive for nations to develop and raise themselves to the level they can finally achieve orgas... umm ... I mean qualification
          Why not extend the pain with a wc every 5,8 or even 10 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
            this is interesting.
            the tier system provides incentive for teams to advance to the upper levels.

but it defeats your original demaand of teams like Iran meeting top class teams.
            we'll be at best meeting the likes of Uruguay, mexico, poland, ireland, Belgium, Colombia, .... and most probably get relegated to the lower tier as we'd most probably lose to all of these and such teams!!!!

coz lets not fool ourselves. on paper, we might be at 20-24 rank. But if we meet any of the teams in this section, we'd lose.
            our ranking is based on meeting crap like bahrai, iraq, ghater, uzbeks, ...

and I seriously doubt we'd ever meet the likes of germany, netherlands, spain, portugal, argentina, ... (the teams we have met at the WC )
            You’re spot on, but isn’t that the whole point? We’d play better teams and improve. Even if we were playing 2nd and 3rd tier European nations or South American nations it would be better than playing the football destroying teams of Asia.

Comment

The 1978 World Cup had 16 teams and we were in it. We played the reigning South American champion and the former and soon to be repeat World Cup runner-up.
              I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

every 3 years
                change ac to every 3 years too
                1 year for wc qualification
                asian cup
                wc
                run it back

Comment

Don’t forget starting 2026 World Cup is groups of 3, so for example if Iran finishes last in group play they only play 2 games total. 3-4 years of qualification effort just to see 2 measly games is not worth it. I hope for World Cup every 3 years and
                  Asian cup every 2. Shorten the needlessly lengthy qualification round

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
                    The 1978 World Cup had 16 teams and we were in it. We played the reigning South American champion and the former and soon to be repeat World Cup runner-up.
                    but in 1978 the competition was low ! even 16 teams was too much for that time! Right now even the smallest country on the planet is investing on their national football team! not really comparable but yea i get your point.

Comment

Originally posted by milad_b View Post
                      but in 1978 the competition was low ! even 16 teams was too much for that time!
                      You are mistaken.
                      I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

You are mistaken.
                        I've researched about this few years ago! The competition is significantly higher than 40-50 years ago! Specially in african and asian countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Ostad_Goosfand View Post
                          Don’t forget starting 2026 World Cup is groups of 3, so for example if Iran finishes last in group play they only play 2 games total. 3-4 years of qualification effort just to see 2 measly games is not worth it. I hope for World Cup every 3 years and
                          Asian cup every 2. Shorten the needlessly lengthy qualification round
                          I even forgot that the world cup group will only be 2 games!

Best solution imo :
                          - wc every 3 years. 32 teams like the current format
                          - euro, asian cup etc.. : the year before world cup (I would like to cancel them and replace them by a world league)
                          - the year before euro, asian cup etc.. : each zone will play the wcq qualifiers (that would also be euro, asian cup etc.. Qualifiers). For qualifiers, weakers teams play preliminary round or play off, to reduce the number of qualifiers games.
                          - cancel nation league and replace it by friendlies. In order the world to progress and as Euro teams get the most wc qualified teams, why not force the best euro teams (based on ranking and world cup results) to play at least X teams from asia/oceania, X teams from africa, X teams from central America from their total number of fifa date available for friendlies during 2 WC. In order to avoid having everybody to play japan/sk, quota could be put in place. Also outside quotas, avoir the same team to play the same friendlies too often (france Germany happens every 6 months at a time)

Comment

Originally posted by milad_b View Post
                            I've researched about this few years ago! The competition is significantly higher than 40-50 years ago! Specially in african and asian countries.
                            It is not.

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
                              I even forgot that the world cup group will only be 2 games!

Best solution imo :
                              - wc every 3 years. 32 teams like the current format
                              - euro, asian cup etc.. : the year before world cup (I would like to cancel them and replace them by a world league)
                              - the year before euro, asian cup etc.. : each zone will play the wcq qualifiers (that would also be euro, asian cup etc.. Qualifiers). For qualifiers, weakers teams play preliminary round or play off, to reduce the number of qualifiers games.
                              - cancel nation league and replace it by friendlies. In order the world to progress and as Euro teams get the most wc qualified teams, why not force the best euro teams (based on ranking and world cup results) to play at least X teams from asia/oceania, X teams from africa, X teams from central America from their total number of fifa date available for friendlies during 2 WC. In order to avoid having everybody to play japan/sk, quota could be put in place. Also outside quotas, avoir the same team to play the same friendlies too often (france Germany happens every 6 months at a time)
                              If you make it a 3 year cycle then you have to make all competitions a 3 year cycle otherwise they will overlap in some years.

Comment

If you make it a 3 year cycle then you have to make all competitions a 3 year cycle otherwise they will overlap in some years.
                                Exactly, euro, asian cup etc.. Will be every 3 years too

Comment

Working...
                                X