No announcement yet.

Asian Cup 2019: Path to Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont know why people are adamant that if we dont win the trophy its a failure, and then many people say CQ would deserve to be let go.

Football doesnt work like this. Nobody has an inherent right to lift a trohpy. I never heard iranians talking like this for the past 40 PLUS YEARS that we never won asian cup.

Like last time, anything can happen.

For me, Japan are the favorites, with us behind them, followed by S. Korea and Australia. I think that the bare minimum requirement for this team given the way the brackets are lined up is semi finals. There we will meet Japan or Australia, and anything can happen. Personally I fancy us vs Australia, but think Japan will be very dangerous and difficult, although their tactics do play into our hands more.

Comment

Originally posted by inarsenewetrust View Post
      I dont know why people are adamant that if we dont win the trophy its a failure, and then many people say CQ would deserve to be let go.

Football doesnt work like this. Nobody has an inherent right to lift a trohpy. I never heard iranians talking like this for the past 40 PLUS YEARS that we never won asian cup.

Like last time, anything can happen.

For me, Japan are the favorites, with us behind them, followed by S. Korea and Australia. I think that the bare minimum requirement for this team given the way the brackets are lined up is semi finals. There we will meet Japan or Australia, and anything can happen. Personally I fancy us vs Australia, but think Japan will be very dangerous and difficult, although their tactics do play into our hands more.
      baba Ayvalla, at last some common sense.

Comment

I dont know why people are adamant that if we dont win the trophy its a failure.
        True, anything can happen in football (case in point, Iraq winning the continental championship). However, I think many (yours truly included) have high expectations of TM this time, given that we have so many young, promising players spread all over Europe and doing good work for their clubs. We also have a seasoned, level-headed coach who knows what he's doing, and finally we have a federation that at least is trying to do some good (namely Taj, with new training field, some decent friendlies, showing interest in outcomes).

If you put all those variables together, with the drought for 40 years...yes, the expectations are high of our beloved TM and CQ.

Comment

Originally posted by diz View Post
          True, anything can happen in football (case in point, Iraq winning the continental championship). However, I think many (yours truly included) have high expectations of TM this time, given that we have so many young, promising players spread all over Europe and doing good work for their clubs. We also have a seasoned, level-headed coach who knows what he's doing, and finally we have a federation that at least is trying to do some good (namely Taj, with new training field, some decent friendlies, showing interest in outcomes).

If you put all those variables together, with the drought for 40 years...yes, the expectations are high of our beloved TM and CQ.
          high expectation is one thing. We all have high expectations for this crop. But this pre-defining of what is success for us being limited to ONLY winning the cup, and anything else is a failure and proof that CQ is overrated and overpayed, is going to create added pressure and not the ideal environment for TM to succeed. Like I said, getting to semi final is the bare minimum for me. We really should top the group and beat the likes of uzbekistan and china that we meet in the following rounds. But, meeting Japan or Aussie in semi final is a big big game. Im sure TM would give a good performance, but in these big tight games anything can happen.

Comment

high expectation is one thing. We all have high expectations for this crop. But this pre-defining of what is success for us being limited to ONLY winning the cup, and anything else is a failure and proof that CQ is overrated and overpayed, is going to create added pressure and not the ideal environment for TM to succeed. Like I said, getting to semi final is the bare minimum for me. We really should top the group and beat the likes of uzbekistan and china that we meet in the following rounds. But, meeting Japan or Aussie in semi final is a big big game. Im sure TM would give a good performance, but in these big tight games anything can happen.
            As you noted in my post, I have nothing negative to say about our boys or CQ, only respect. So while there are some on this forum who call for heads rolling any time we don't win a match, there are others who fully support the team and coach, but still have our hearts set on some spectacular results!

Comment

As you noted in my post, I have nothing negative to say about our boys or CQ, only respect. So while there are some on this forum who call for heads rolling any time we don't win a match, there are others who fully support the team and coach, but still have our hearts set on some spectacular results!
              yeah bro im not referring to you. Mainly talking about iranian press, other ppl on here.

Comment

So based on some of the discussions here one should logically conclude that anything less than reaching the semis for TM and CQ
                will be considered a failure right ?!?!
                I believe that.

Comment

I would even go further and say, not reaching the Semis is catastrophic! .... Just look at the kind of challenge we will have to face in order to get there; Iraq > a third placed team > China (at highest) - And if we can't even do that, then it is just a huge failure!

… The confidence to reach the semis with ease is pretty high at the moment .... The real question is who do want to face, Japan or Australia and what preparation is needed to get past the semis … Japan we know very well, Australia perhaps a bit of a mystery + the historical rivalry!

..I am optimistic .. more than I was 4 years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by sarbaz View Post
                    So based on some of the discussions here one should logically conclude that anything less than reaching the semis for TM and CQ
                    will be considered a failure right ?!?!
                    I believe that.
                    yes. I think that is a reasonable position.

Comment

Guys you can now vote for the slogan they'll put on Team Melli's bus. Unfortunately the same lame slogangs the had for the world cup
                      http://www.the-afc.com/competitions/...slogan-group-d

Comment

expanding the Asian Cup to include all these mickey mouse teams like Khykyz and Palestine is a big mistake

Asian cup should never have been increased from 16 teams

Comment

Originally posted by Hadi View Post
                          expanding the Asian Cup to include all these mickey mouse teams like Khykyz and Palestine is a big mistake

Well, think of them as slightly more glorified friendlies against minnows to get TM ready for higher round action.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadi View Post
                            any other complaints we should be aware of?

Comment

I think startng the Asian Cup just six months after the World Cup is pathetic.

Comment

Well, think of them as slightly more glorified friendlies against minnows to get TM ready for higher round action.
                                half of the Prestige for the Asian cup was 'qualifying' for it and being part of it.

Now literally half of the cup is B and C rated Asian teams. no wonder Asian Cup will always be less interesting than the final round of WCQ

Comment

Working...
                                X