X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skocic set to lead Iran to World Cup after all

17.07.2022 11:57 GMT

Skocic set to lead Iran to World Cup after all

Tehran (dpa) – Croatian Dragan Skocic looks set to lead Iran to the World Cup in Qatar later this year having retained the backing of the national federation (FFI) after all, the Isna agency reported Sunday.

Media reports previously said Skocic, 53, was to be replaced just a few months out from the tournament where Iran meet England, the United States and*Wales in Group B.

The FFI were considering replacing Skocic with an Iranian coach, such as former Bundesliga player Ali Daei, or a more renowned foreign boss.

Skocic has been in charge since 2020 and secured qualification to Qatar under his watch. Fans now expect the team to progress past the group stage for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJNiSRqdCco

Comment

Soccer-Iran reinstate Skocic as head coach

DUBAI, July 17 (Reuters) - Dragan Skocic has been reinstated as head coach of Iran after a meeting between the board of directors of the Iranian Football Federation and its technical committee, semi-official Tasnim news agency reported on Sunday. Skocic's dismissal had been reported on Monday, prompting widespread criticism among the public just four months ahead of the World Cup finals in Qatar.

The 53-year-old Croatian will now continue to train Iran for their sixth appearance and third consecutive participation at the World Cup.

Iran have been drawn in Group B and will kick off their campaign against England on Nov. 21 before taking on Wales and the United States.

Comment

FML....

Comment

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Just six days after dismissing Dragan Skocic as head coach, an Iranian Football Federation (IFF) spokesman announced Sunday that the Croatian will lead Iran into November’s World Cup after all.

In the latest episode of a chaotic build-up to Group B games against England, the United States and Wales, Ehsan Osuli said after a meeting of the IFF board of directors that there had been a change of heart.

“The outcome of the meeting is that Dragan Skocic is the head coach of Iran’s national team and will continue to be so,” Osuli said. “He has a contract until the end of the 2023 Asian Cup.”

The federation voted to fire Skocic, who took the job in early 2020, on July 11 after a friendly defeat to Algeria in June and reports of divisions in the team.

Local coaches such as Ali Daei, Javad Nekounam, Amir Ghalenoi and Afshin Ghotbi had been shortlisted to lead Iran past the group stage in its sixth World Cup appearance.

With Skocic now remaining in the job, the federation has appealed for unity.

“We ask that the national team players, the media, ex-players and everyone unite for the common goal to elevate the name of Iran,” Osuli added.

Comment

This young guy Osuli has too much power now...

Football chair of directors
            Futsal chair

He is in essence the most important person for TM's decisions at the moment.

Comment

As someone who supported skocic from day 1 (i will also keep supporting him and team melli staff in world cup), But we ARE F*CKED.

Thanks to media and stupid fans the team is now divided.

Comment

It's really frustrating.

For decades I was hoping for Iran to play my nation of birth and finally had a chance to, in an otherwise more manageable group than we have had since 2006.

After seeing our team and infrastructure improve so much over the eight years, genuinely becoming a team that others were frightened of playing, I just wanted to see that Phase 3 for Queiroz. I really felt we were going places after following TM religiously for three decades. Unfortunately even one of the best sports psychologists in the world couldn't prevent the mental collapse against a strong Japan (and also highlighted the importance of Taremi for us).

Now we have the most incompetent combination of football federation, team managers, support staff and TM coaches. I feel that unless there is a miracle, it is going to be a disaster, with or without a divided dressing room. Such a shame of what could have been with a coach who even Tooleh Khers highlighted multiple times during his final six months was 1) "detail orientated", 2) "professional and without bias", and most importantly (now) 3) "gave us the discipline" which now is noticeably lacking.

Comment

What an absolute shit show.

From a divided team melli in two different camps to firing a coach just to bring him back a few weeks later...

Skocic isn't capable or skilled enough to lead any national team to a world cup and once he was dismissed that should have been the end of it. I would much prefer even having an Iranian coach, let alone CQ, over having what just happened --> firing a coach just to bring him back right after.

Team meli is in total disarray and I am losing more and more hope everyday for a good showing at the world cup. When the draw was announced I was so happy and hopeful but not anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Soosk View Post
                    What an absolute shit show.

From a divided team melli in two different camps to firing a coach just to bring him back a few weeks later...

Skocic isn't capable or skilled enough to lead any national team to a world cup and once he was dismissed that should have been the end of it. I would much prefer even having an Iranian coach, let alone CQ, over having what just happened --> firing a coach just to bring him back right after.

Team meli is in total disarray and I am losing more and more hope everyday for a good showing at the world cup. When the draw was announced I was so happy and hopeful but not anymore.
                    I remember when we had GN, Daei, and Ghotbi as coaches and they all collectively failed to qualify us for the WC

Comment

taj will win te election, and hire cq.
                      stay tune this is not over yet.

Comment

Originally posted by kateb View Post
                        taj will win te election, and hire cq.
                        stay tune this is not over yet.
                        God bless your optimism my friend, but we are fucked. We are now in an even worse situation than before
                        --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
                        --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
                        ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
                        --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
                        ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

doesn't change anything, 0 points and 0 goals is still what is awaiting in November.

Comment

Originally posted by Karimi 8 View Post
                            God bless your optimism my friend, but we are fucked. We are now in an even worse situation than before
                            look this iff will be gone on aug 30th.
                            imo opinion this is what happened.
                            they know taj will get elected and bring cq
                            so they decided to keep skocic and have taj fire him.
                            we just need to wait until the election

Comment

That guy lost my last respect I had for him after his last Instagram story. Dude show some dignity and stay away from Team Melli. The majority of Iran doesn’t want you. But that shows us more and more of the imminent collapse of the Islamic republic.

Comment

Working...
                              X