Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 World Cup Performance in retrospect (cf. 2006...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2014 World Cup Performance in retrospect (cf. 2006...)

Almost all our 2014 squad was built from new after the wilderness years, with our crop taken from the local leagues and Queiroz getting the likes of Ashkan and Gucci to choose Iran over Germany or Netherlands to help us out before that world cup.

2006 we had so many players at their peak, this was our golden generation, we had players who didn't get the development they deserved because they had so many stars ahead of them. But we had regulars in the Bundesliga, La Liga and Serie A who had years of experience for club and country.

Just focusing in this post on one topic which anti-CQ brankoholics(especially on IRIB and other islamic republic media) keep mentioning: 3-1 loss against Bosnia, with a selective memory loss of 3-1 loss against Mexico in 2006.

Bosnia had a backline four who were Bundesliga starters, had a Pjanic who was in the serie A team of the season, Lulic who had his best of 10 seasons at Lazio, Ibisevic who had been one of the best goal scorers in bundesliga with 24 goals in 2013 season and 14 in 2014 for Stuttgart, Sahilovic who was Hoffenheim's player of the year (11 goals as midfielder) and a Djeko who scored almost 30 goals for Manchester city.

Just look at Pjanic's goals that season FFS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61sKiZaTeKs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmndHBx0Gw0

So many of the players in that Bosnia team had their best season for their clubs within 2013-2014 and the spine of the team wasn't weaker than other countries in that world cup.

3-1 against Bosnia was a better result than 3-1 against Mexico with our best ever team. Who did Mexico have? Omar Bravo...?

Why do these people not follow football?

Love CQ but Bosnia'a game strategy was wrong...

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Iran_19 View Post

What approach should he have gone with? IIRC, the team needed to go all-out attack that day given the standings in the group.

Comment

I think he handicapped himself with some of the squad selection (obviously in such a game the likes of khalatbari and Azmoun would have been useful), although even that is debatable how effective they would have been vs a very strong bosnia side.

More than tactics I feel like physically and emotionally the team just came up short. He corrected that in the next world cup with special preparations for domestic guys at PEC especially. Players did not max out after first 2 games from physical standpoint and mentally showed the most grit to fight back from a goal down vs portugal.

Comment

Originally posted by Leicester City View Post
          What approach should he have gone with? IIRC, the team needed to go all-out attack that day given the standings in the group.
          You can not go all attack vs best Bosnian team in history with old Jalal who couldn't handle Dzeko and the whole D and M which were terrible.
          He should have stayed with his counter attack strategy and in last quarter of the game play more offensive if we needed to score.

Comment

Originally posted by inarsenewetrust View Post
            I think he handicapped himself with some of the squad selection (obviously in such a game the likes of khalatbari and Azmoun would have been useful), although even that is debatable how effective they would have been vs a very strong bosnia side.

More than tactics I feel like physically and emotionally the team just came up short. He corrected that in the next world cup with special preparations for domestic guys at PEC especially. Players did not max out after first 2 games from physical standpoint and mentally showed the most grit to fight back from a goal down vs portugal.
            We always struggle in the last WC match.
            2018 was probably an exception.

Comment

CQ realized his 2014 Bosnia mistake against Portugal and the strategy almost paid off. Yes we had better squad in 18 compare to 14. But the game plan vs Bosnia was wrong which wasn't the case in 18.
              Imagine in 18 with much better squad we played more conservative vs Portugal which made totally sense to me.

Comment

You can not go all attack vs best Bosnian team in history with old Jalal who couldn't handle Dzeko and the whole D and M which were terrible.
                He should have stayed with his counter attack strategy and in last quarter of the game play more offensive if we needed to score.

I agree with your entire post but we just didn't have the pool of players in that WC

I still think he should have taken young Azmoun but khalatbari would have been flattened against bosnia. He was a very talented lithe figure but not against big physical bundesliga spine

At that stage the core of the squad didn't have the conditioning they got later on.

Comment

2014 against bisnia
                  we lost that game when messi
                  broke everyones heart.
                  if messi disnt score that goal
                  we would of finish the wc with
                  3 0-0 matches

Comment

Working...
                  X