USA/England preparations for WC 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prety decent game by wales.

Their DF depth is very breakable and we should focus on that. Its a must win for us if we wanna qualify to next round otherwise I don't see us beating USA with this BS preps.

Comment

Frankly, we need to go all out for 2 wins. That should be the target.

After all these years with this group, consider majority played in last WC, some even involved in cycle before that, this should be minimum expectation. Prep thing I can already see being used as an excuse. Yes, better preparation is required and we can only hope it will be provided. But seriously. Argentina, Nigeria, Bosnia, Japan (2x) , SK (god knows how many times), Russia, Algeria, Sweden, Chile, Bosnia again, Tunisia, Turkey, Venezuela, Spain, Portugal, Morocco. This group have been through a lot, many play in europe, many who arent in europe have had euro experience at solid level (Ebrahimi, Amiri, Beiro). There is not the same excuse of physically not being ready, not knowing what the intensity and pressure will be like, not knowing each other, etc. Critically, they also have 2 bondafide superstars now, proven by multiple years performancein the highest level of competition in world football. WE werent able to say that in 2014 or 2018. 2014 closest one we had was Dejagah who was our best performer. This should give the team tremendous confidence that if everybody else just does their basic jobs the front 2 can trouble anybody.

Beating US and Wales in my opinion, provided 4-5 more solid friendlies, is a very reasonable expectation to have. And if they dont do it the reason wont be preparation. I think we need better prep, but i am also slightly wary of what some of these games actually mean. I mean the US barely makes it through their qualification, losing to canada, panama, costa rica, tying jamaica, then somehow kills Morocco 3-0? Morocco didnt even some willing to moderately exert themselves.

That is not to take either of Wales or US lightly, both are very solid outfits. Wales make of for individual mediocrity by being a very well drilled unit. US have deep talent pool.

Just think we have faced harder situations with inferior personnel and preparation and still performed very well.

Comment

Game one against England, I hope TM plays a carefull defensive game by crowding the midfield and going for quick counters. Even if we lose, it's not the end of the world. A draw would be a nice bonus.

I consider our second game against Wales to be the decisive game and agree that TM should go all out in that game with a very offensive mindset.

If Iran wins against Wales and knowing that winning against the USA in game three will see TM through, it is entirely doable to emerge from group B.

Comment

The forgotten silver lining is the significantly MORE WC experience our squad has now than before (specifically facing powerhouses like Spain & Portugal). It’s truly night and day. Additionally:

-ARJ: faced top teams in EPL (even scored overhead against Chelsea)
          -Taremi: no explanation needed
          -Azmoun: will get even more experience facing top teams in Budesliga
          -Ghoddos: faced top teams in EPL

Mentally, without a doubt, they’re much much more confident. The only powerhouse is England, which is the weaker of the “elite” teams in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by ParthianDE View Post
            Game one against England, I hope TM plays a carefull defensive game by crowding the midfield and going for quick counters. Even if we lose, it's not the end of the world. A draw would be a nice bonus.
            I consider our second game against Wales to be the decisive game and agree that TM should go all out in that game with a very offensive mindset.
            If Iran wins against Wales and knowing that winning against the USA in game three will see TM through, it is entirely doable to emerge from group B.
            If we play careful defensive game, we won't be able to go for quick counters. Our personnel doesn't allow that.

Our best defensive forward/midfielders (Mehdi, JB,etc...) are not that quick, certainly not quicker than most England players.

I think we need be comfortable in possession and be able to withstand a press if we want to have any chance of getting a draw from the first match.

Comment

After watching our WC opponents play i feel our chances of getting any win at the WC with our current preparation and inexperienced coaching staff to be very low. Our midfield and defense will be under a lot of pressure and our forwards will be starved of any proper feeds. At best we might get a draw against Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Prowess View Post
                The forgotten silver lining is the significantly MORE WC experience our squad has now than before (specifically facing powerhouses like Spain & Portugal). It’s truly night and day. Additionally:

-ARJ: faced top teams in EPL (even scored overhead against Chelsea)
                -Taremi: no explanation needed
                -Azmoun: will get even more experience facing top teams in Budesliga
                -Ghoddos: faced top teams in EPL

Mentally, without a doubt, they’re much much more confident. The only powerhouse is England, which is the weaker of the “elite” teams in the world.
                I won't start Ghoddos against England (tall physical team). If we wanna play a deffensive game against England then Ghoddos won't be a started for me.

I would go with something like this:

----------------------Beiro----------------------
                -----shoja---Kanani----Hosseini------amiri----
                ----------------------Omid-------------------------
                --------------Ahmad-------Ezza-------------------
                ---Arj--------------------------------------Taremi
                --------------------Azmoun-----------------------

Pretty much all tall physical players.

Ghoddos will be a good sub if we need to score and attack. However I will start him against wales (instead of Ahmad).

Comment

Don't know how we can have these expectations with the current prep at hand and nothing really on the map for September.. god willing those don't get canceled either

Originally posted by inarsenewetrust View Post
                  Frankly, we need to go all out for 2 wins. That should be the target.

After all these years with this group, consider majority played in last WC, some even involved in cycle before that, this should be minimum expectation. Prep thing I can already see being used as an excuse. Yes, better preparation is required and we can only hope it will be provided. But seriously. Argentina, Nigeria, Bosnia, Japan (2x) , SK (god knows how many times), Russia, Algeria, Sweden, Chile, Bosnia again, Tunisia, Turkey, Venezuela, Spain, Portugal, Morocco. This group have been through a lot, many play in europe, many who arent in europe have had euro experience at solid level (Ebrahimi, Amiri, Beiro). There is not the same excuse of physically not being ready, not knowing what the intensity and pressure will be like, not knowing each other, etc. Critically, they also have 2 bondafide superstars now, proven by multiple years performancein the highest level of competition in world football. WE werent able to say that in 2014 or 2018. 2014 closest one we had was Dejagah who was our best performer. This should give the team tremendous confidence that if everybody else just does their basic jobs the front 2 can trouble anybody.

Beating US and Wales in my opinion, provided 4-5 more solid friendlies, is a very reasonable expectation to have. And if they dont do it the reason wont be preparation. I think we need better prep, but i am also slightly wary of what some of these games actually mean. I mean the US barely makes it through their qualification, losing to canada, panama, costa rica, tying jamaica, then somehow kills Morocco 3-0? Morocco didnt even some willing to moderately exert themselves.

That is not to take either of Wales or US lightly, both are very solid outfits. Wales make of for individual mediocrity by being a very well drilled unit. US have deep talent pool.

Just think we have faced harder situations with inferior personnel and preparation and still performed very well.

Comment

US game is on ESPN+ (English) & TUDN (Spanish)

Starting XI vs Grenada:

S - E - C - U - L - A - R - I - S - M

Comment

Originally posted by Team Melli Fan View Post
                      US game is on ESPN+ (English) & TUDN (Spanish)

Starting XI vs Grenada:

This is not the main squad right?

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
                        This is not the main squad right?
                        There are definitely some important USA players and starters playing.

Comment

Originally posted by KasraKhan View Post
                          There are definitely some important USA players and starters playing.
                          Only one I recognize is Mckennie.

Comment

All we needed was to play in the Kirin Cup and this would have been a great window. What a shame.
                            "This is a totalitarian system whose presence people feel in their blood and in their flesh on a daily basis. And it’s one that does not grant freedoms of any kind, or accommodate people’s demands in any way. What is increasingly clear is that there is clear demand for change in the regime. What the people want is regime change, and no return to the past. There is a very real possibility of regime change." - Nasrin Sotoudeh

Comment

USMNT's gameplan: Spam Grenada's box with crosses and look for the occasional penalty.

Comment

Still 0-0 against powerhouse Grenada

Comment

Working...
                                X