Discuss Group B here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ParthianDE View Post
    Scanning USA fan reactions... So far it looks like they tend to think Iran is in the middle, i.e. there could have been harder teams, but also weaker teams for them.
    OTOH: In the (deluded as usual) USA main stream media, they are all laughing and think England and USA going through is a given.

Comment

I'm not as happy with this draw as most others, mainly because I don't think we do well against the direct, pacey, physical style of the likes of England, US and Wales and I don't think England will do as well against our opponents, which is a big part of qualifying as second ranked team.

Plus it feels like people are underrating England. Their depth and variety of attacking mids is up there with the best in the world at the moment and the mix of direct pace and creativity from the likes of Sterling/Saka/Foden/Mount/Grealish and even the underrated Smith Rowe would cause our full backs particular problems. Allied with the options they have from right back against our weaker left hand side, as well as their prowess on set pieces, and I think they’ll cause us more problems than they'll cause against similarly more physical sides like US and Wales.

Their central defence means they won’t challenge for the WC but with Bellingham and Rice getting better all the time they’re addressing their cm problems and are around the middle of that Pot 1 rankings for me. I’d have much preferred playing in Portugal's group - I think they and Uruguay are both much weaker than they have been historically and suit our style much more.

Comment

Scotland will be great

Comment

We need England to win all of their games which I think they will.. Remember they are motivated after coming close in the Euro finals. (similar to France in 2018)

- Key will be beating USA and the playoff team.. USA will be inexperienced since majority of them have never touched the WC.
          - Wales will be a dangerous opponent considering all of their players play in top leagues such as EPL.
          - Ukraine will be in a tough position being away from home for their camps, but will play for pride and flag, always tough to beat those teams.
          - Scotland much more beatable, but doubt they'll make it.

Comment

Forget Iran Canada friendly. Trudeau politics ain't going to make it happen, especially after the downing of the Ukranian plane with all those poor Iranian-Canadians onboard.

Comment

Good draw considering this is the WC and nothing is easy.

That said, I urge caution about TM emotions as a team, particularly against USA. Iranian football fans have a bias against USA soccer, so we're underrating the Americans. Add on to that how TM has shown to overreact in emotional games (Japan at the AC, Persian Gulf rivals grassrolling, etc), and its clear that the USA match is most certainly a trap game for Iran. Plus Pulisic and Reyna are very good players and I'm not sure who on TM can match up against them, particularly if Eza and our defense continues to be so out of shape.

With this in mind, hopefully the draw is motivation for the Federation to have an outstanding prep campaign and for the players to motivate themselves over the next year. We need guys flocking to starting spots in Europe ASAP and putting themselves into the best shape of their lives. I'm very worried also about what the lack of Iranian success in the EPL portends for TM vs England and physical teams like USA and Wales.

Altogether though, TM should be able to contest, draw or win all three games. Stay healthy, get in shape, have a good prep campaign -- those are the keys.

Comment

Iran-US rematch from 1998
                Iran-Scotland rematch (hoepfully) from 1978

This is awesome!

Comment

Stadiums not clear yet but possible stadiums are:
                  Al Bayt (60k capacity)
                  Al Thumama (40k capacity)
                  Khalifa (40k capacity)
                  Ahmad Bin Ali (45k capacity)

Al Thumama and Khalifa are in Doha
                  Al Bayt is in Al Khor (45 mins from Doha)
                  Ahmad Bin Ali is in Al Rayyan (20 min drive from Doha)

Per Fifa website, stadiums are by day. Those are the stadiums listed the days we play

Comment

Dragan: you need to hire a team sports psychologist RIGHT NOW. Start the mental preparation NOW.

Comment

Originally posted by diz View Post
                      Dragan: you need to hire a team sports psychologist RIGHT NOW. Start the mental preparation NOW.
                      Dragan is the one who needs a sports psychologists. Half our starters have played against Portugal and Spain in a World Cup. His biggest match was against South Korea last week lol

Comment

England is not england of old. they have a lot of good technical players lol

Comment

Update CQ's 2018 plan considering our group this time and follow it verbatim.

Go TM!

Comment

Originally posted by Ostad_Goosfand View Post
                            England is not england of old. they have a lot of good technical players lol
                            England always choke, this is a very doable group. We just need good preparations and a strong coach, and we have neither currently
                            --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
                            --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
                            ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
                            --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
                            ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

Jomhoorie Eslaami halaa yehoo TM raa yaari mikone ta Sheitaane Bozorg raa shekast bede.
                              DROOD BAR AHMAD KASRAVI.

Comment

Originally posted by Payam_Ali View Post
                                Dragan is the one who needs a sports psychologists. Half our starters have played against Portugal and Spain in a World Cup. His biggest match was against South Korea last week lol

Comment

Working...
                                X