Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
    What's wrong with Kish's hotels?
    I stayed at Shayan Hotel when I was there 7 years ago, and while it was outdated, it was clean, with good food, and excellent helpful staff.
    Prices were reasonable too and I got to swim in the beautiful waters of the Persian Gulf without millions of tourists around me. Honestly really enjoyed it.

It might not be flashy or bligny like Dubai or Doha, but Kish is still an amazing place. It has so much more potential. On one hand I would love for it to be more open and invite more tourists, on the other I wouldn't want the island turned into a garbage tourist trap like Ibiza (all due respect to the Ibiza lovers here).
    Westerners would be afraid of arrests (although we know this is not the case for most). However, with no alcohol, women not allowed to wear what they desire or swim it reduces number of people interested significantly. Perhaps it could accommodate African / Asian travelers from authoritarian countries but not the rest. Unfortunately that's the reality of the situation.
    Also, is there any direct flight / boats between Qatar and Kish? how long would such a trip take?

Comment

Originally posted by Under Lahaf View Post
      Westerners would be afraid of arrests (although we know this is not the case for most). However, with no alcohol, women not allowed to wear what they desire or swim it reduces number of people interested significantly. Perhaps it could accommodate African / Asian travelers from authoritarian countries but not the rest. Unfortunately that's the reality of the situation.
      Also, is there any direct flight / boats between Qatar and Kish? how long would such a trip take?
      Agreed with you. Iran would have to cater to the "Halal" crowd.

I think flights (or even ships) could be set up. It's not very far.

Ultimately I think considering the limited amount of time, I don't think there would really be capacity for more than a few hundred tourists who would spend a day or two and then head to Qatar to watch their team(s) play.

Comment

Biggest problem with Kish is transportation. It is at least 4 hour boat ride to Doha and flights would be expensive and you have to use their schedule... Getting through customs every time is a hassle. Will probably only work for Iranian fans that don't want to catch a game every day but want to just attend Iran's games. But would be a shame as they'll miss out on the international festival feel.

If I was a retired person with time on my hand, I would go to Kish two weeks before WC, maybe catch Iran's team practicing there, enjoy the island and then go to Doha for WC. This is a unique WC in which you can watch every game live in the stadium. You can literally watch all 64 games live since there is an hour between every game and stadiums are max about an hour's drive from each other.

Comment

Originally posted by inarsenewetrust View Post
          not sure. They have pretty atrocious relations with UAE for past 5 years, UAE had a blockade going against them and they had to turn to getting food shipments in from Iran.

I dont think Kish will be a mass destination for any foreign fans in the WC lol. Think idea is some teams may have camps there before the WC to possibly get better idea of the weather, play friendly with TM.

In the actual WC iranian fans would probably highly consider using kish as a base to go to and from the games if quick transport was arranged, it would be much much cheaper.

And the fact you have been in both places (congrats) doesnt really change the fact there is a clear shortage of fan accomodations in qatar that the entire footballing world is currently discussing
          So many opportunities wasted... if the people in charge had some concept of organization. What you mentioned about Kish being a possible basecamp for Iranian fans, and getting ferried across the Persian Gulf... talk about a fantastic idea. Couple of nice high speed ferries chartered for daily service to an from Kish for the duration of the WC...

Comment

Originally posted by mahestan View Post
            So many opportunities wasted... if the people in charge had some concept of organization. What you mentioned about Kish being a possible basecamp for Iranian fans, and getting ferried across the Persian Gulf... talk about a fantastic idea. Couple of nice high speed ferries chartered for daily service to an from Kish for the duration of the WC...
            the flight situation is truly a disaster, in both economic sense and environmental one.
            Flights from california to doha (incl. 1 stop) : ~2K round trip for one person.

Flights from califoris to tehran : much better, $700-800 round trip. Issue is connecting from tehran to doha...another 1.2K round trip (how will regular iranians even be affording this)

Imagine instead if we could fly for $700 from California to Tehran, take bus/train/taxi to bandar abbas (this part is very doable as I know a lot of people who have done this with train and really enjoyed it) and ferry across on day of matches . It would be an amazing experience and even with all accomodations, trip across country, still only a 3rd of the alternative options. Plus so many iranians staying in that area would be a great influx for local economy.

as you say, all that was required was a few high speed ferries plus a little bit of investment in local infrastructure (hotels, rental units). even with 8 months left there is still time to arrange such possibilities. Not that something so reasonable and benefical for literally all parties involved would happen in IR lol

Comment

not sure. They have pretty atrocious relations with UAE for past 5 years, UAE had a blockade going against them and they had to turn to getting food shipments in from Iran.

I dont think Kish will be a mass destination for any foreign fans in the WC lol. Think idea is some teams may have camps there before the WC to possibly get better idea of the weather, play friendly with TM.

In the actual WC iranian fans would probably highly consider using kish as a base to go to and from the games if quick transport was arranged, it would be much much cheaper.

And the fact you have been in both places (congrats) doesnt really change the fact there is a clear shortage of fan accomodations in qatar that the entire footballing world is currently discussing
              Thanks for the congratulations. but my statement didn't had to do with the fact that there is a shortage of fan accommodations in Qatar. It was about that kish is not the logical solution for this. It would be only beneficial for Iranian fans. even if it is just so that wc teams can camp there for a short time. makes more sense if those teams would choose to camp in dubai or even saudi arabia with better facilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
                What's wrong with Kish's hotels?
                I stayed at Shayan Hotel when I was there 7 years ago, and while it was outdated, it was clean, with good food, and excellent helpful staff.
                Prices were reasonable too and I got to swim in the beautiful waters of the Persian Gulf without millions of tourists around me. Honestly really enjoyed it.

It might not be flashy or bligny like Dubai or Doha, but Kish is still an amazing place. It has so much more potential. On one hand I would love for it to be more open and invite more tourists, on the other I wouldn't want the island turned into a garbage tourist trap like Ibiza (all due respect to the Ibiza lovers here).
                don't get me wrong. for Iranian standards some hotels in kish are really nice. but compared to the hotels they have build for the world cup in qatar and even hotels in turkey and UAE. our 5 stars hotels are more like 2 star hotels.

Comment

Originally posted by Reza_Abdolahi View Post
                  don't get me wrong. for Iranian standards some hotels in kish are really nice. but compared to the hotels they have build for the world cup in qatar and even hotels in turkey and UAE. our 5 stars hotels are more like 2 star hotels.
                  The pb is that qatar didn't build enough hotel

Comment

speaking from people I know considering going to WC many would be much more likely to attend if they could stay in Kish and fly/take boat to doha on the eve of the matches. It would be incredibly cheaper and be a cool experience to essentially attend a WC from iran.
                    for iranian fans I can understand. But I think you are really naive to think that fans over the world will more likely attend the world cup if they go from kish . beside the fact that for a lot of countries there is a VISA required to travel to Iran. there are so many other difficulties. scarfs, toilets, alcohol, dress code,

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
                      The pb is that qatar didn't build enough hotel
                      My point is that kish is not the solution for this. With all this negativity about the world cup being held in Qatar. it would be the dumbest move to involve Iran in this. beside the fact that 99.99% would never travel to iran. we are not talking about people who are interested in cultures and want to discover irans beauty. these are football fans who want a comfortable football holiday and have parties and drinks after the matches.....

Comment

It would only make sense for UAE to help with the accommodation situation.
                        Kish is not the way to go.

Comment

are the fans allowed to drink alcohol in Qatar?

Comment

Originally posted by fairplay View Post
                            are the fans allowed to drink alcohol in Qatar?
                            Yup and dress how they like and they also allow women into the stadiums etc.

Just about everything that is not allowed in IR Iran.
                            "This is a totalitarian system whose presence people feel in their blood and in their flesh on a daily basis. And it’s one that does not grant freedoms of any kind, or accommodate people’s demands in any way. What is increasingly clear is that there is clear demand for change in the regime. What the people want is regime change, and no return to the past. There is a very real possibility of regime change." - Nasrin Sotoudeh

Comment

As much as I would like Kish/Iran to benefit from the WC and help their economy, I wouldn't get Iran involved.. I would get UAE involved first who have better hotels and much looser restrictions (for women particularly)

Comment

Originally posted by Reza_Abdolahi View Post
                                for iranian fans I can understand. But I think you are really naive to think that fans over the world will more likely attend the world cup if they go from kish . beside the fact that for a lot of countries there is a VISA required to travel to Iran. there are so many other difficulties. scarfs, toilets, alcohol, dress code,
                                like I keep saying, this would be for iranian fans. yes, a solution for iranian fans, which will be travelling high numbers and can be used to boost economy of underfunded part of the country

Comment

Working...
                                X