IRAN - UAE - 2022 WCQs, - 1/2/2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRAN - UAE - 2022 WCQs, - 1/2/2022

As inconsequential as this game was in our qualification (talk of seeding aside), I actually think it had some new lessons for us and TM staff as well.

1. I was very happy to see we get a red card to see how we would react and play in such a situation.
    As far as I remember this is our first time to play wt 10 men under Skocic.

The meaningless an needless way it came aside (Moharami really didn't need to lunge for the ball. In that area, ball going away from our half, we were ahead by a goal), it was interesting to see the team keep the opponents at bay and defend a man short.
    This is always needed in team building.
    We did all the right things except one crucial matter that I blame for some carelessness on the part of a couple of players like Gholi. And that is possession football.
    Many times when we regained the ball, some players instead of passing the ball around, actually tried to start attacks.
    and actually this almost led to FOUR great chances to score.
    Now perhaps this lax attitude is due to having already qualified.
    But I hope the staff does drill this to them that keeping the possession is an excellent way of relieving the team from mounting pressure.

2. Nourafkan as CB?
    Whaaaaaaaaat??? I was so surprised and actually was saying in Skocic insane, when he had obvious CB choices instead of shifting Omid to CB.
    But boy am I pleasantly surprised to see Omid fulfil the duties of CB with such quality that made the missing regular CB forgettable
    Wow. For me, he was one of the 3 Men of the match.
    I knew he was versatile. But not in CB also.
    Every team needs at least one versatile player.

3- Team attitude even against the odds
    I must applaud the team for keeping at it, going forward and nearly ending the game 5-0.
    And had it not been for some tired legs and tired brains of a certain Ali, we could have had such a scoreline.

I hope the staff goes over these moments and teaches Gholi a lesson to be more in service of the team, keep focus and pick the right moves instead of selfishness and futile showboating.
    But again, I wonder if he would do the same if we really neede the points and the game was a decisive one. So let's cut the chap a litle slack.

4- I expected more from our trio in midfield. And especially Amiri had at best an average or below average game.
    But his running and energy can compensate for some of this.

5- Men of the match for me;
    JB , Taremi and Nourafkan
    Our captain is truly leading by example. Damn you stupid Brighton and your f&$k face coach potthead.
    And thank you Feyenoord.

the game exposed our central defenders having huge problem on marking attackers running at them in the space between them, when the ball gets croissed with a long high curled pass from the sides, curling with spin in the direction of the goal.. (to paint a picture, pass goes from the same area iah that ghoddos hit the freekick against marocco but in open play) they dont know witch one is to go against the attacker and mark, and ends up doing nothing, nobody marks and there is a free header suddenly from the penalty spot area.

the uae and iraq and other opponents had studied TM since they put several of those balls but they bad poor headers to score on. I believe that is our biggest and most alarming weaknes,

https://ibb.co/7r4BJ0g

the white is the ball,
    the red is the opponent and its running
    the black is our defender and goalie..

when the ball is in between them, nobody steps up, im not an expert but think it should be the one whos post is closes to the corner ball is coming from, since the other defender has to defend the players coming in from the other side toghether with the wingback?
    maybe the ones with proper football training can answer that
    Supporting Team Melli

Comment

^
      several issues

1- I think we have been spoilt by CQ's defensive wall that we expect not to see any danger or pressure applied on the center of the defense. in MOST of game under CQ it was true. But even then, against decent Asian teams, we did look vulnerable.

2- We have already changed the central pairing under CQ to a totally new pair (Kanaani and Shoja) who have different dynamics and characteristics. Neither is as commanding as Hosseini, granted. But Kanaani has been really bossing the area with his physicality AND pace. Shoja also aside from some lapses of concentration (that has significantly been reduced from his earlier days) is not exactly horrible.
      But they have been doing a very decent job at keeping the goal secure. Lets not forget we have conceded only 2 goals which by itself is quite a feat given we have given up CQ's overly defensive style for a more open, balanced one.

3- we also had an untested CB (noorafkan). Surely he hasnt gone through weeks of drills and rehearsals on who does what when against which opponent. Thats why I was pleasantly surprised at this patch up job.
      If the usual pairing were present, I think we would see less of the kind of confusion you described.

4- As mentioned, since the team itself plays a more open, forward looking game, naturally we will see more balls sent in and more threats into the box.
      what matters is that we deal with these properly and learn from all these experiences/dangers created to iron out our deficiencies.

I have absolutely no idea what form PAG is in.
      But maybe IF he is in form, he may form a more solid pairing with Kanaani. If he is in good shape, he certainly has the more extensive experience and less erratic behavior & loss of focus we see in Shoja.
      Otheriwse Hosseini also seems to be regaining his form. Maybe a couple of games with him starting we could see a more secure central defense in front of the goal.

Comment

Working...
      X