Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(#POLL) Comparing coaches thread: Who is the best? Skocic, Wilmotz, CQ, Branko, Daei,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by inarsenewetrust View Post
    I share your sentiment that we have better offensive players than before. Having said that, the issue is the other end of the pitch with regards to why we must still employ deep block (And probably will) vs the level of opponents seen at WC.

Our current crop of DMs, CBs, Full backs have two fold problems. On one hand, if isolated 1v1 they are likely to lose their matchups vs this caliber of opponent, and on the other hand, our midfield especially lacks the technical quality to play out under high pressure to actually get the ball to our talented offensive guys in dangerous positions. Vs Algeria you saw somebody like nourollahi effectively acting as the fulcrum of the midfield. He miscontrols around 3/4 passes he receives under moderate press from algerian B team. How can we set our team up in an open manner knowing how many turnovers such players are likely to cause? Then keep in mind, our midfield is not only weak technically, but slow! When said turnover happens, do you really think a player like ezatolahi or even ebrahimi in his current age vs the world's best will be able to make up the ground to get the ball back before the opposition engages one of our defenders (Who like I said previously when ran at 1v1 with pace are out of their depth vs top opposition) and ultimately creates a goalscoring opportunity?
    These are the questions that need to be objectively answered if you want to talk about abandoning a deep block.

IMO best game plan is to sit deep and try to regain some of that physicality and swarming mentality our team had under CQ, but when we get the ball focus on quick 1-2 touch combination plays that get the ball into feet of ghoddos or Taremi centrally, moharrami or amiri wide, ASAP. From there quick balls into and off of azmoun,Taremi who are now much more complete players and goalscorers than ever before in their careers seems the best way for us to harm the opposition.

This is basically what CQ tried to do just with better players in most positions now.

The day iran can play more expansive football on the world stage and obtain results is the day we develop 3-4 defenders/CDMs playing at level of azmoun and taremi in europe.

And even the above point may not be true. In 2006 we had the likes of Rahman Rezaei in Italy, Mahdavikia starring in Hamburg, midfield consisting of young Nekounam, Andranik, Shojaei, Karimi, Zandi, And Navidkia (the last 3 all in bundesliga)...and played a fairly open style in the world cup. Nothing came of it but embarassment and failure. 1 pt in a group with avg mexico side, Angola, and Portugal !
    You aren't wrong here. The issue with the deep block is you need to be able to counter quickly if you plan on taking advantage of a failed press. As you pointed out speed and even ball control are lacking from the back to mids. That being said here is hoping some young talent and players like Ghoddos can improve these areas. We really need to develop some decent midfielders to play either style. In the absence of talent I still feel we can play an offensive game but will need to improve team coordination and passing to get the ball up to our guys. Maybe even try to hold possession and slow the pace down a bit running into spaces and focusing the game in the opposition half. That won't help guys like Taremi and Azmoun explode on goal but it might be our best shot at scoring and creating chances.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
      I met so many pundits/podcasters in Russia and Brazil who said the same. Iran basically became everyone's second team somehow, especially in Brazil!

It was a great experience seeing the respect they had for us.
      Yes I too was also happy with the results. I think we all were. But a week or so after our departure, how many of us were happy with our style and level of our game? Let's not answer this with a "considering our limited resources, considering what the IRI does for our football, considering ...". Let's just answer it straight. Were we happy with the style and level? I for one was not, and actually HATED it. I am being honest with myself. I HATED how we played.

So, yes, if we try to win by playing normal football, we might lose badly for a while. But so what? We will learn from it and improve. And improve we will! Saudi Arabia lost by 8-0 to Germany. What happened aside from Iranians' korkori? Nothing. They simply lost, and moved on. We can too if it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Iran Doost View Post
        Yes I too was also happy with the results. I think we all were. But a week or so after our departure, how many of us were happy with our style and level of our game? Let's not answer this with a "considering our limited resources, considering what the IRI does for our football, considering ...". Let's just answer it straight. Were we happy with the style and level? I for one was not, and actually HATED it. I am being honest with myself. I HATED how we played.
        So, yes, if we try to win by playing normal football, we might lose badly for a while. But so what? We will learn from it and improve. And improve we will! Saudi Arabia lost by 8-0 to Germany. What happened aside from Iranians' korkori? Nothing. They simply lost, and moved on. We can too if it happens.
        Yes, I was happy with the style, and more than happy with our level. We had a level of discipline I had been desperate for decades, the positioning and shape of the team was fantastic and never in my imaginations had I seen TM play like a well-drilled club football team. Most notably - how versatile we were and how the team switched styles so fluidly. We really were only a disallowed goal or an unawarded CR red card away from history. With a squad a fraction of value of our opponents (a fifth the value of Morocco) this was even more impressive.

I much rather we play disciplined tactically astute football than bezan ziresh or ali asghari styles. I followed Iran religiously and travelled to all world cups I've been alive for and I was very proud of our performances on the pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Iran Doost View Post

I am 100% in your camp.

Like I said before, we could get results against Spain by standing eleven 400 pound, 7 foot sumo wrestlers on the goal line and blocking the whole goal mouth. The world would have appreciated the discipline of the 11 players standing there taking shot after shot and not moving. After 90 minutes, everyone would say there was a clear strategy and they executed it brilliantly. But unfortunately it is not what we want to be known for. I'd rather play soccer and if we get blown out, take that as a necessary step in learning and getting stronger.

As far as Iran being everyone's darling at the WC, it was certainly not because of the beautiful soccer we were playing. Perhaps it is because people like to root for the underdog or fans like the powerhouses to fail. Jamaican's bobsled team was very popular in that winter olympic that they attended, but it was certainly not because of their bobsledding abilities....

Comment

Originally posted by tooleh khers View Post
            Branko is his ostad in results, stats and mind games. No matter how you bend it. Iran is not even the only country he was more successful in.
            Just noting, with multiple sources of evidence, that this was a clear untruth:

Originally posted by tooleh khers View Post
            I do not have anything personal against CQ. In fact I was a staunch supporter until the Japan game
            Only facts matter.

Comment

I will say this. In my opinion CQs strategy versus Portugal was brilliant. We were solid on defense although Beiranvand had some shaky moments and we attacked as well of not better than Portugal at times. Now with that said we gave up chances and a PK but that's when individual brilliance can save the day and Beiranvand redeemed himself by stopping Ronaldo. Imagine if Taremis last minute sitter went in...wow. I believe we could have played this way against Spain and Morocco too..

Comment

Originally posted by O-ZoNe View Post
                I will say this. In my opinion CQs strategy versus Portugal was brilliant. We were solid on defense although Beiranvand had some shaky moments and we attacked as well of not better than Portugal at times. Now with that said we gave up chances and a PK but that's when individual brilliance can save the day and Beiranvand redeemed himself by stopping Ronaldo. Imagine if Taremis last minute sitter went in...wow. I believe we could have played this way against Spain and Morocco too..

We had some fantastic chances against both Morocco and Spain.
                "This is a totalitarian system whose presence people feel in their blood and in their flesh on a daily basis. And it’s one that does not grant freedoms of any kind, or accommodate people’s demands in any way. What is increasingly clear is that there is clear demand for change in the regime. What the people want is regime change, and no return to the past. There is a very real possibility of regime change." - Nasrin Sotoudeh

Comment

^^ we would have topped the group if his shot went in. I would have tattooed the final group standing on my body.

Comment

Originally posted by Abtin View Post
                    ^^ we would have topped the group if his shot went in. I would have tattooed the final group standing on my body.
                    The dream

https://youtube.com/shorts/DuBjCWAb0oA?feature=share

Comment

This came up on my next to watch on youtube suggestions after posting that short.

Man those emotions with the Saeid equaliser... still feel them again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3C6DK8n0mQ

Comment

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
                        This came up on my next to watch on youtube suggestions after posting that short.
                        Man those emotions with the Saeid equaliser... still feel them again
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3C6DK8n0mQ
                        Listen at Khiabani his commentary:

Comment

Originally posted by O-ZoNe View Post

I like it too when CQ opens up a little bit. The last 30 minutes of Spain and the Portugal game, where we took some risks were beautiful. And it showed that we can play against these teams. Maybe we are not quite at their level, but we are not so bi chareh o bad bakht to have to defend with 10 men deep in our own half.

Comment

Originally posted by Farzadfarhangni View Post
                            I like it too when CQ opens up a little bit. The last 30 minutes of Spain and the Portugal game, where we took some risks were beautiful. And it showed that we can play against these teams. Maybe we are not quite at their level, but we are not so bi chareh o bad bakht to have to defend with 10 men deep in our own half.
                            That's the beauty of Carlos's football

Ultra defensive and then turn up the gears late in the game and throw off the attacking team

Comment

Originally posted by Iranianarsenal11 View Post

Ultra defensive and then turn up the gears late in the game and throw off the attacking team
                              It just happened too infrequently. And we don't need to play this way against all opponents. But yes when done properly it was great. Against Portugal it happened early enough we could have won that match. Seriously some good chances were missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Iranianarsenal11 View Post

Actually, we are saying pretty much the same thing. I just feel we played ultra, ultra, ultra defensive against a Spain that was not that strong for most of the game. We need to start playing football before we go behind. I am pretty certain that had we played Spain in our first game instead of second, we wouldn't have opened up even after we conceded to keep the goal differential low.

I like the approach of teams like Korea, Japan and USA much more. They give themselves a chance to win, instead of the ultra defensive approach. Yes, it increases our chances of losing 2-0 or 3-0 instead of losing 1-0, but also increases our chance of getting results.

I would hate to have a team that could compete with its opponents at WC but never did because of our ultra conservative approach. Morocco competed and was better than us, Portugal and Spain. I want to play like Morocco did and hopefully, with some luck, we can get better results. We are at similar levels to Morocco 2018, maybe a touch lower. We don't need to defend with 10 men deep in our own half.

Comment

Working...
                                X