• Every FOUR years

59 73.75%
  • Every TWO years

17 21.25%
  • I'm a moron and need a Vali Faghih to decide for me

4 5.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: World Cups - Every 2 years or 4 years?

V.I.P.
    ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,727 Times in 3,998 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokhodi View Post
    You’re spot on, but isn’t that the whole point? We’d play better teams and improve. Even if we were playing 2nd and 3rd tier European nations or South American nations it would be better than playing the football destroying teams of Asia.
    So we'd be ok to almost NEVER face the lkes of argentina, holland, brazil, germany , Italy, ... ?
    still a very interesting format I have to admit.

let me text Arsen & let him know of yet another viable alternative.

PFDC Hall of Famer
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,267 Times in 3,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KC McElroy View Post
    I agree that Nations League is stupid and has to go but even without it there is too much to fit in 3 years. Just look at how long a qualifying campaign is. It will definitely interfere with other tournaments in a 3 year window.
    The qualifying campaign has to be shorter :
    Asia : WCQ and asian cup are already merged. The best Asian teams shouldn't play the preliminary round (the round we played hong kong, Cambodia etc..)=> shorter campaign
    Europe : euro qualifiers and wcq should be merged like asia. The small teams (san marino, gibraltar, andorra, etc..) plays a preliminary round to decide which ones will play the main wcq round => shorter campaign
    Africa : same than Europe.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PSGman#19 For This Useful Post:

PFDC Hall of Famer
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,432 Times in 3,672 Posts
    First every two years with all the competitions going on will not be possible for clubs to release their players, plus WC will not have the same quality as it was before(already the quality is not like before with 32 teams),

شریف حریف نداره
    ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,047 Times in 6,738 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PSGman#19 View Post
    The qualifying campaign has to be shorter :
    Asia : WCQ and asian cup are already merged. The best Asian teams shouldn't play the preliminary round (the round we played hong kong, Cambodia etc..)=> shorter campaign
    Europe : euro qualifiers and wcq should be merged like asia. The small teams (san marino, gibraltar, andorra, etc..) plays a preliminary round to decide which ones will play the main wcq round => shorter campaign
    Africa : same than Europe.
    Even if the big teams aren't playing a preliminary round the small teams are. And until they are done the next round can't begin. It will be less games for the big teams but the qualification timeframe will be the same.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KC McElroy For This Useful Post:

PFDC Hall of Famer
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,267 Times in 3,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KC McElroy View Post
    Even if the big teams aren't playing a preliminary round the small teams are. And until they are done the next round can't begin. It will be less games for the big teams but the qualification timeframe will be the same.
    The small teams generally don't feature at euro or world cup. The preliminary round could take place during or just before/after this big competition.

شریف حریف نداره
    ReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,047 Times in 6,738 Posts
    The small teams generally don't feature at euro or world cup. The preliminary round could take place during or just before/after this big competition.
    It could but it still makes for a very compressed schedule.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

V.I.P.
    ReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostad_Goosfand View Post
    Don’t forget starting 2026 World Cup is groups of 3, so for example if Iran finishes last in group play they only play 2 games total. 3-4 years of qualification effort just to see 2 measly games is not worth it. I hope for World Cup every 3 years and
    Asian cup every 2. Shorten the needlessly lengthy qualification round
    this is bcoz some ass hole decided to make it a 48 team tourny.
    has nothing to do with 4 yr period

Banned
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Thanks
    Thanked 1,420 Times in 609 Posts
    I'd personally prefer every 2 year but that the Asian Cup. Africa Cup, Euro Cup etc be abolished. I much rather prefer TM competes with countries from Africa, Europe, South America etc in tournaments than with Asian countries. We would still compete with Asian countries in order to qualify ofcourse. It would be much better for Iranian football, take us to a higher level. Everybody knows that competing with better opponents improves your level.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sepehr9 For This Useful Post:

V.I.P.
    ReputationReputation
    Thanks
    I even forgot that the world cup group will only be 2 games!

Best solution imo :
    - wc every 3 years. 32 teams like the current format
    - euro, asian cup etc.. : the year before world cup (I would like to cancel them and replace them by a world league)
    - the year before euro, asian cup etc.. : each zone will play the wcq qualifiers (that would also be euro, asian cup etc.. Qualifiers). For qualifiers, weakers teams play preliminary round or play off, to reduce the number of qualifiers games.
    - cancel nation league and replace it by friendlies. In order the world to progress and as Euro teams get the most wc qualified teams, why not force the best euro teams (based on ranking and world cup results) to play at least X teams from asia/oceania, X teams from africa, X teams from central America from their total number of fifa date available for friendlies during 2 WC. In order to avoid having everybody to play japan/sk, quota could be put in place. Also outside quotas, avoir the same team to play the same friendlies too often (france Germany happens every 6 months at a time)

I can work with this.

32 teams is the absolute best. anything lower or higher is rubbish.
    WC - every 3 years (is not as bad as 2 yrs. and it might leave enough hope for those who miss it)
    Continental cups remain. But also serve as WCQ's. (2 birds wt 1 stone) ( and yes, I still value winning the asia cup. Definitely)

Then we use Nokhodi's ranking/tier system for friendlies and cross continental games for teams to rise in tiers.

"hello .... Bonjour Arsen. are you reading this stuff or not?"

High-Ranked Member

Thanks
    I prefer we keep every 4 years for the World Cup (same format), keep the continental tournaments, cancel regional, and expand the Nations League to the whole world. This will still be difficult to fit in a schedule but if Europe can fit Nations League in their calendar so can the other continents. This will give weaker teams a chance to compete on a world stage against better opposition and remove the need for friendlies as well. Removing friendlies from the calendar can also help fit the expanded nation's league and maybe the World Cup qualifiers can be reduced as well by granting automatic qualification to World Cup based on Nations League results making it more important at the same time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Members who have read this thread : 124

You do not have permission to view the list of names.