• Every FOUR years

59 73.75%
  • Every TWO years

17 21.25%
  • I'm a moron and need a Vali Faghih to decide for me

4 5.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cups - Every 2 years or 4 years?

PFDC Hall of Famer
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,289 Times in 3,497 Posts
    I liked wenger answer about linking time to prestige. In this case, why not having a WC every 5, 8 or 10 years!
    WC has prestige because the best teams, players and quality of the game.

What destroy wc prestige is to expand the number of teams to 48, with bangladesh and samoa.

V.I.P.
    ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,727 Times in 3,998 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokhodi View Post
    You’d break the league down into sub groups. 1-24 25-48, 49-72 etc.
    You’d promote, relegate or stay in the league you’re already in after playing all games in the season.
    You’d have centralized locations for each group to minimize travel.
    Each tournament would be its own World Cup.
    The winner of the 1-24 group would be the world champion.

this is interesting.
    the tier system provides incentive for teams to advance to the upper levels.

but it defeats your original demaand of teams like Iran meeting top class teams.
    we'll be at best meeting the likes of Uruguay, mexico, poland, ireland, Belgium, Colombia, .... and most probably get relegated to the lower tier as we'd most probably lose to all of these and such teams!!!!

coz lets not fool ourselves. on paper, we might be at 20-24 rank. But if we meet any of the teams in this section, we'd lose.
    our ranking is based on meeting crap like bahrai, iraq, ghater, uzbeks, ...

and I seriously doubt we'd ever meet the likes of germany, netherlands, spain, portugal, argentina, ... (the teams we have met at the WC )

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Doctor DOOM For This Useful Post:

V.I.P.
    ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,727 Times in 3,998 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PSGman#19 View Post
    T
    You don't find painful to watch the whole world playing during 4 years, progressing when we have nothing than one game against japan, two against sk and iraq, Syria and Uzbekistan?

absolutely.
    it's most painful.
    and it's that pain that makes the whole thing so precious.

Therefore no higher incentive for nations to develop and raise themselves to the level they can finally achieve orgas... umm ... I mean qualification

PFDC Hall of Famer
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,289 Times in 3,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
    absolutely.
    it's most painful.
    and it's that pain that makes the whole thing so precious.

Therefore no higher incentive for nations to develop and raise themselves to the level they can finally achieve orgas... umm ... I mean qualification
    Why not extend the pain with a wc every 5,8 or even 10 years?

V.I.P.
    ReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,120 Times in 8,745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
    this is interesting.
    the tier system provides incentive for teams to advance to the upper levels.

but it defeats your original demaand of teams like Iran meeting top class teams.
    we'll be at best meeting the likes of Uruguay, mexico, poland, ireland, Belgium, Colombia, .... and most probably get relegated to the lower tier as we'd most probably lose to all of these and such teams!!!!

coz lets not fool ourselves. on paper, we might be at 20-24 rank. But if we meet any of the teams in this section, we'd lose.
    our ranking is based on meeting crap like bahrai, iraq, ghater, uzbeks, ...

and I seriously doubt we'd ever meet the likes of germany, netherlands, spain, portugal, argentina, ... (the teams we have met at the WC )
    You’re spot on, but isn’t that the whole point? We’d play better teams and improve. Even if we were playing 2nd and 3rd tier European nations or South American nations it would be better than playing the football destroying teams of Asia.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nokhodi For This Useful Post:

شریف حریف نداره
    ReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,047 Times in 6,738 Posts
    The 1978 World Cup had 16 teams and we were in it. We played the reigning South American champion and the former and soon to be repeat World Cup runner-up.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

PFDC Valedictorian
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Thanks
    every 3 years
    change ac to every 3 years too
    1 year for wc qualification
    asian cup
    wc
    run it back

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kateb For This Useful Post:

High-Ranked Member
    Thanks
    Don’t forget starting 2026 World Cup is groups of 3, so for example if Iran finishes last in group play they only play 2 games total. 3-4 years of qualification effort just to see 2 measly games is not worth it. I hope for World Cup every 3 years and
    Asian cup every 2. Shorten the needlessly lengthy qualification round

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ostad_Goosfand For This Useful Post:

PFDC Valedictorian
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KC McElroy View Post
    The 1978 World Cup had 16 teams and we were in it. We played the reigning South American champion and the former and soon to be repeat World Cup runner-up.
    but in 1978 the competition was low ! even 16 teams was too much for that time! Right now even the smallest country on the planet is investing on their national football team! not really comparable but yea i get your point.

شریف حریف نداره
    ReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,047 Times in 6,738 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milad_b View Post
    but in 1978 the competition was low ! even 16 teams was too much for that time!
    You are mistaken.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread : 124

You do not have permission to view the list of names.