World Cups - Every 2 years or 4 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sepehr9 View Post
    I'd personally prefer every 2 year but that the Asian Cup. Africa Cup, Euro Cup etc be abolished. I much rather prefer TM competes with countries from Africa, Europe, South America etc in tournaments than with Asian countries. We would still compete with Asian countries in order to qualify ofcourse. It would be much better for Iranian football, take us to a higher level. Everybody knows that competing with better opponents improves your level.

I dont understand why some of you dis Asia cup. especially when you all say we scrap asia cup for the WC ... where we usually play 3 games and go home!!!
    Being the continental champion is a big deal.
    aside from rise in ranking, it's the TITLE that carries a lot of prestige too.
    being the 4 time or 5 time champion IS a big deal.

at least for ME, the title weighs heavily since we have struggled to advance from WC group stage or even if we do, it'd be maximum Pre-quarters.
    I can understand teams like Italy, brazil, germany .... focus on the WC as they vie for the title. And they might take it slightly easy for their continental cups.

But teams like us who (lets be honest) have NO HOPE of reaching decent levels like Semifinalists in the WC, can look for titles and trophies in their own continents at least

Comment

WC Every 4
      AC Every 2
      "History is a set of lies that people have agreed upon,"

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
        I dont understand why some of you dis Asia cup. especially when you all say we scrap asia cup for the WC ... where we usually play 3 games and go home!!!
        at least for ME, the title weighs heavily since we have struggled to advance from WC group stage or even if we do, it'd be maximum Pre-quarters.
        I can understand teams like Italy, brazil, germany .... focus on the WC as they vie for the title. And they might take it slightly easy for their continental cups.
        But teams like us who (lets be honest) have NO HOPE of reaching decent levels like Semifinalists in the WC, can look for titles and trophies in their own continents at least
        IMO Continental title has few prestige and very few importance. I rather see Iran go to second round, quarter final or semi final of WC than winning every asian cup.
        Qatar won AC, iraq won AC, did that improve their level and prestige? No! Japan won asian cup but their level and prestige came from their performance at WC. SK didn't win AC recently but their level & prestige came grom their performance at WC.

The only importance I saw from Asian cup is the qualification for Confederation Cup (could have help our lack of friendlies). But now the confed cup doesn't exist anymore and the asian cup is now full of additional weak teams.

Comment

^ But how are those two related? As if we would advance to 2nd round only if we omit asia cup tournaments!!!

The prestige of continental cup for a lot of fans is high enough. But that being there or not, does NOT guarantee advancing to 2nd round of WC. How did you connect the two??

Comment

^ But how are those two related? As if we would advance to 2nd round only if we omit asia cup tournaments!!!
            The prestige of continental cup for a lot of fans is high enough. But that being there or not, does NOT guarantee advancing to 2nd round of WC. How did you connect the two??
            I am not connecting the two, I just say asian cup is minor, noting it didn't help iraq to be even among the best asian teams, let alone reach the next level. It will be the same with Qatar, even if qatar has cash and $$ to develop.
            Of course asian fans will be happy with his team winning the cup but that's it.

Iran wouldn't t have more legionnaires, more friendly request, won't suddenly get international prestige and reach the next level in case they won Asian cup

Comment

I'm not dissing the Asian Cup, i'm just saying that i find it more valuable to play three games at a world cup (higher level, gain more valuable experience) than even playing the final of an Asian Cup.

I rather TM plays Spain, Argentina, Portugal, Germany, Nigeria and co every 2 years instead of every 4 years. I honestly believe it would be better for Iranian football even if TM would not qualify for the second round in a 100 years. The fact that Iran would be competing with the likes of South Korea, Saudi, Japan and other Asian countries to book a spot for the world cup is enough, the Asian Cup does not add anything of value in my opinion. Furthermore, the world cup should consist of 32 countries to keep the level high.

Comment

Originally posted by Sepehr9 View Post
                I'm not dissing the Asian Cup, i'm just saying that i find it more valuable to play three games at a world cup (higher level, gain more valuable experience) than even playing the final of an Asian Cup.

I rather TM plays Spain, Argentina, Portugal, Germany, Nigeria and co every 2 years instead of every 4 years. I honestly believe it would be better for Iranian football even if TM would not qualify for the second round in a 100 years. The fact that Iran would be competing with the likes of South Korea, Saudi, Japan and other Asian countries to book a spot for the world cup is enough, the Asian Cup does not add anything of value in my opinion. Furthermore, the world cup should consist of 32 countries to keep the level high.
                Also with only 5 wc, we never play brazil, France, england, Italy belgium but played twice portugal.
                France often get grouped with Switzerland or Denmark.
                Argentina and Nigeria too.

Imagine waiting 4 years to play the same teams, specially for a team like Iran

Comment

They're just ruining it. it's all about the money

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
                    I am not connecting the two, I just say asian cup is minor, noting it didn't help iraq to be even among the best asian teams, let alone reach the next level. It will be the same with Qatar, even if qatar has cash and $$ to develop.
                    Of course asian fans will be happy with his team winning the cup but that's it.
                    Iran wouldn't t have more legionnaires, more friendly request, won't suddenly get international prestige and reach the next level in case they won Asian cup

Even if you discount the value of the title (and yes, I'm speaking as an asian fan, for whom "title of best in asia" does matter), it was YOU who actually answered this when you reminded us of the intercontinental, confederations cup. A MINI WC.
                    That's one venue where we could meet top 10 teams.

and to answer Sepehr:
                    Nobody can prove having an Asia cup tourney will have any impact on a team's chances of advancing to the next round in the WC.
                    Why do we see this "advance to II stage" being brought up here?
                    If anything, Asia cup can provide decent int'l match ups for us.

besides, again, nobody said asia cup stands in the way of having WC's every 2 years.
                    It's the loss of prestige, the value, the novelty of the WC's .
                    Asia cups have NOTHING to do with it , as they can serve as WCQ's. so plz, let us dissociate the two issues here.

Comment

Seems Infantino is not letting this shit go away!!!
                      He's really pushing for it.

Then I got another proposal;
                      Have one WC for the top 100 teams
                      And another for lower 100.

Each every 4 yrs, in this manner;
                      2022 WC tier A (for top 100)
                      2024 WC tier B (for below 100)
                      2026 WC tier A
                      2028 WC tier B
                      .... and so on

This way, the lower tier teams also attract plenty of attention for their games ... if not their specific qualification games.

Then there is promotion of the top 20-30 teams from tier B (at the end of their WC) for the tier A.
                      And demotion of the lowest 20-30 teams from tier A.

This way you get your every 2 ye WC fever.
                      Weaker teams see extra incentives plus far more attention & interest during their WC (as many eager fans who want WC's more often will most tune in for this)

And it doesnt take away anything from the glory or value of WCs.
                      Neither will it kill players on the pitch

Comment

Seems Infantino is not letting this shit go away!!!
                        He's really pushing for it.

Then I got another proposal;
                        Have one WC for the top 100 teams
                        And another for lower 100.

Each every 4 yrs, in this manner;
                        2022 WC tier A (for top 100)
                        2024 WC tier B (for below 100)
                        2026 WC tier A
                        2028 WC tier B
                        .... and so on

This way, the lower tier teams also attract plenty of attention for their games ... if not their specific qualification games.

Then there is promotion of the top 20-30 teams from tier B (at the end of their WC) for the tier A.
                        And demotion of the lowest 20-30 teams from tier A.

This way you get your every 2 ye WC fever.
                        Weaker teams see extra incentives plus far more attention & interest during their WC (as many eager fans who want WC's more often will most tune in for this)

And it doesnt take away anything from the glory or value of WCs.
                        Neither will it kill players on the pitch
                        That's BS.
                        I want Iran to play main competition against top teams as often as possible. Come on Arsene

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
                          That's BS.
                          I want Iran to play main competition against top teams as often as possible. Come on Arsene
                          I like the idea but I prefer it to be a World league instead of WC as it would lose its prestige and hype (it will already be effected by every 2 year tournament).

so top 20 or 30 team in league 1 and the following teams in league 2 and every year or 2 years 2 advance and 2 drops to the lower league. Then there is no such thing as international friendly.

FIFA would pocked most of the money sponsorships TV rights etc. The main thing is that smaller countries or unpopular ones like us would get a chance to play with decent teams like our Volleyball and futsal to a degree..

Comment

FIFA (Infantino, tv people, and those who stand to make money) have already decided they want the every 2 year World Cup.
                            They’re just trying to convince/force every FA to accept. Also UEFA can go f itself too.
                            There is a legitimate point being made that most of the countries outside of the same old west European nations don’t get enough games and chances for representation. That has to be fixed.
                            The other issue is the major clubs are happy to have fifa and uefa kill international football as they already think it cuts into their bottom line.

Just do my world league option, it’s honestly the best one.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaz110 View Post
                              I like the idea but I prefer it to be a World league instead of WC as it would lose its prestige and hype (it will already be effected by every 2 year tournament).

so top 20 or 30 team in league 1 and the following teams in league 2 and every year or 2 years 2 advance and 2 drops to the lower league. Then there is no such thing as international friendly.

FIFA would pocked most of the money sponsorships TV rights etc. The main thing is that smaller countries or unpopular ones like us would get a chance to play with decent teams like our Volleyball and futsal to a degree..
                              I prefer a tournament over a league, much more exciting. Basically just the world cup format with 32 countries but instead of waiting 4 long years it would be 2 years. In that case they should abolish the European/African/Asian etc cups. For me it would be awesome if that actually happened but i doubt it will.

Comment

Originally posted by persiangodfather View Post
                                if its every 2 years than what is the point of euro cup asian cup ETC
                                Friendly reminder: then instead of than
                                MANY Gringos make this mistake.
                                چو ایران نباشد تن من مباد

Comment

Working...
                                X