Fifa World Ranking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Malkay View Post
    The way results have been going, given how close ranking points will be between qualified teams when this round of qualifiers are finished (USA, Mexico, Colombia and Uruguay have been losing points and African teams have made up ground with AFCON), I wouldn't be surprised if FIFA made pots 2 to 4 geographical. So far we only know pot 1 is Host and Seeds.

Pot 1 - Qatar, Belgium, Brazil, France, England, Argentina, Spain and Italy/Portugal
    "Pot 2" - 8x European qualifiers
    "Pot 3" - 5x CAF and 3x automatic CONCACAF
    "Pot 4" - 4x AFC, 3rd & 4th in CONMEBOL, winner of 5th AFC v 5th CONMEBOL and winner of OFC v 4th CONCACAF

This makes the most sense, geographically, as AFC have a playoff with S America. The OFC v North America playoff being in our group would be the only outlier as there are North American teams in another pot, but they would just make allowances for that in the draw logistics as they will have to do for Qatar with AFC teams and Brazil & Argentina with CONMEBOL teams, no matter how the other pots are laid out. Obviously, those confederation groupings could be in any pot.

To be clear, this isn't official, this is just an educated guess of FIFA looking at the landscape of international football at present, their rankings and wanting to make the draw less complicated, given the 2 unknown teams. There is also precedent for this, per the 2010 World Cup. If this happens it would be favourable for us as South American teams are probably best for us to avoid outside of Germany and Netherlands.
    Good thing you mentioned seeding. Everyone is operating under the assumption that the same seeding rules of the last World Cup will be used. Is there any source or confirmation for this widespread belief?

Comment

We global football are still tweeting their pot projections based on rankings and seems to suggest playoff winners could be in pot4:

https://twitter.com/we_global/status...268817921?s=21

Comment

Back to top 20 and 17th is definitely in sight:

https://football-ranking.com/fifa_rankings

#Pot2Dreams

Comment

From my understanding, teams are either in pot 1 (based on ranking + hosts). Or if you're not ranked in top 7 of fifa, then ranking is out the window and regions come into play.

Pots 2, 3 & 4 are based on REGIONS. ie; Pot 2 belongs to Europeans., Etc etc..
          If this is the way the do the draw, then no matter how high we go in ranking. We'd be slotted along other Asians in pot 4.

Then this means we can easily try to use the remaining games as prep and trial of players, formations, tactics, ... with little concern for the results

Unless I'm wrong, which I hope I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
            From my understanding, teams are either in pot 1 (based on ranking + hosts). Or if you're not ranked in top 7 of fifa, then ranking is out the window and regions come into play.
            If this is the way the do the draw, then no matter how high we go in ranking. We'd be slotted along other Asians in pot 4.
            Then this means we can easily try to use the remaining games as prep and trial of players, formations, tactics, ... with little concern for the results
            Somehow I wish that this is the case because I want to enjoy the remaining TM games without any pressure lol

Comment

This has been discussed at length on this forum, you are out of date.

Have you forgotten the "race for pot 3" in 2018??? Have a read of this thread.

Comment

Are they changing it for this year? Thats very stupid IMO, so what region is allocated to pot 3 ? something doesn't workout cuz both Asia and south america have 4 spots +1 so thats 9 spots? then we got africa and north america etc.... Then we also have brazil and argentina in pot 1 which makes it more complicated. I honestly think this is wrong and it will be same as 2018.

Can you please post the link bro, i wanna read more on this. I thought it was same as 2018.

Comment

^^
                  You're right. I've not really kept up nor seriously bothered to get to know the seeding process this time.

Frankly outside of pot 2 scenario, I really don't think it wld make much of a difference between pots 3 & 4.
                  I can't really pick a weak team amongst the qualified and potential qualifiers.

Only a pot 2 scenario COULD (not would) present a great opportunity to advance.
                  That too if we somehow get lucky and get the least of the strong teams (can't say weak) .... maybe from north America and an African

The weakest team so far looks to be ... hehehehe.... The hosts, Ghater.
                  I can imagine almost ALL the teams literally salivating at the prospect of getting in their group.😄😄😄😄 Even the pot 4 teams see tremendous opportunity. 😁😁
                  But bad luck for us that we can't.

And whether we like it or not, we also belong to that exclusive category of highly sought after group-mates.
                  However I'm hoping we wld be a bit of a spoiler.
                  Again, it all depends on what teams we get.

Comment

They could use a similar system like in 2006.

https://www.socceramerica.com/public...draw-pots.html

Pot 1: Top 8 of the FIFA ranking
                    Pot 2: Africa & South America & Oceania
                    Pot 3: Europe
                    Pot 4: Asia & Concacaf

Comment

^^
                      You're right. I've not really kept up nor seriously bothered to get to know the seeding process this time.
                      Frankly outside of pot 2 scenario, I really don't think it wld make much of a difference between pots 3 & 4.

I can't really pick a weak team amongst the qualified and potential qualifiers.

Only a pot 2 scenario COULD (not would) present a great opportunity to advance.
                      That too if we somehow get lucky and get the least of the strong teams (can't say weak) .... maybe from north America and an African
                      I just want us to avoid Pot 2 as teams like Germany will be in that pot. We were so excited to be pot 3 in 2018 but had spain and portugal from pots 1 and 2 joining us...

Comment

Originally posted by Omid177 View Post
                        ffs... I give up

Comment

I just realized that in the intercontinental play-offs for the World Cup 2006, Conmebol played against Oceania and Concacaf against AFC. Maybe that's why Oceania and South American teams were in the same pot and Asia & Concacaf too. However this time AFC plays vs Conmebol and Oceania vs Concacaf. Based on this, I would guess that AFC and Conmebol teams will be in the same pot whereas Concacaf and Oceania will be in the same pot. The question remains though where the African teams will be put in. My guess would be with AFC and Conmebol.

Comment

This is the one I remember.
                            Hopefully discarded now

Comment

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
                              I just want us to avoid Pot 2 as teams like Germany will be in that pot. We were so excited to be pot 3 in 2018 but had spain and portugal from pots 1 and 2 joining us...
                              Yeah.
                              Thats why I said there's hardly any difference between pots 3 and 4.
                              Only a pot 2 scenario could increase our chances

A super lucky group like
                              Belgium
                              Iran
                              Wales
                              Tunisia
                              .... I can look forward to.
                              A very distant possibility. But one can always dream 😁

Comment

Only a pot 2 scenario could increase our chances
                                Precisely, hence the 15 pages of this thread

Comment

Working...
                                X