Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Qualifiers - Other Games Thread (AFC & beyond)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diz View Post
    ^well the Afcon refs have left something to be desired. What happened to the Tunisians is an outrage.
    The ref had a heatstroke and had to be taken to the hospital after the match. He lost all his lucidity

Comment

Originally posted by Medzdidz View Post
      That guinea goal was a lovely finish - shame it got struck off. I thought the foul was a harsh call.
      Egypt got very lucky with that VAR call lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hosseini View Post
        Egypt got very lucky with that VAR call lol
        They were very lucky not to be down to 10 men from the 31st minute onwards. Last man back and he pulls Marmoush down otherwise he's clear on goal. Definite foul and red card. Should've also had a clear penalty in the previous match

Zizo-pen.png

The refereeing in CAF is beyond a joke.

Comment

That wasnt a red card. There no certainty to whether he would have control over the ball and GK could've easily come out to get it. Control is a condition for "DOGSO" or denying a goal scoring opportunity and it wasn't met. It was the correct call

Originally posted by kastro View Post
          They were very lucky not to be down to 10 men from the 31st minute onwards. Last man back and he pulls Marmoush down otherwise he's clear on goal. Definite foul and red card. Should've also had a clear penalty in the previous match

[ATTACH]19111[/ATTACH]

The refereeing in CAF is beyond a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Hosseini View Post
            That wasnt a red card. There no certainty to whether he would have control over the ball and GK could've easily come out to get it. Control is a condition for "DOGSO" or denying a goal scoring opportunity and it wasn't met. It was the correct call
            I rewatched the incident as initially I hadn’t realized the ball for that far away from him so I agree. They were still very lucky as we hit the post 3 times. That was also a clear pen on Zizo in the last match against Nigeria. Queiroz is still not picking the right 11 nonetheless, thus limiting our potential. Guinea-Bissau are not as bad as people will make them out to be and their entire squad plays for various clubs over Europe.

Comment

CQ was perfect for TM with its issues, lack of friendlies and low confidence. CQ is a great psychologist and a master to create hashiyeh and use it to create Unity among the players, just as his countrymen Mourinho. The same way Mourinho took Inter to Championsleague based on fighting-spirit of his players, tactical discipline and strong defense, CQ made TM no in Asia with the very same attributes. BUT generally speaking, i think we wouldn't have made much progress with CQ. IMO his style/tactics might be sufficient for Asia ( although we couldn't win Asian Cup with him twice), but it is not enough for the world-stage. Yes we tie Portugal and had a good performance against Spain, but compare the way we played, with the way Japan went toe to toe with Belgium! Even under CQ we lack a proper attacking game-plan, most of our goals were a result of defensive blunders by our opponents, even during the AFC 2018. I wished that we could get a offensive-minded coach one day, like Sari, Tuchel, Pep, Klopp, Enrique, Zidane, Wenger etc.

For now we should be fine with Skocic.

Comment

Originally posted by Philosophy_King View Post
                CQ was perfect for TM with its issues, lack of friendlies and low confidence. CQ is a great psychologist and a master to create hashiyeh and use it to create Unity among the players, just as his countrymen Mourinho. The same way Mourinho took Inter to Championsleague based on fighting-spirit of his players, tactical discipline and strong defense, CQ made TM no in Asia with the very same attributes. BUT generally speaking, i think we wouldn't have made much progress with CQ. IMO his style/tactics might be sufficient for Asia ( although we couldn't win Asian Cup with him twice), but it is not enough for the world-stage. Yes we tie Portugal and had a good performance against Spain, but compare the way we played, with the way Japan went toe to toe with Belgium! Even under CQ we lack a proper attacking game-plan, most of our goals were a result of defensive blunders by our opponents, even during the AFC 2018. I wished that we could get a offensive-minded coach one day, like Sari, Tuchel, Pep, Klopp, Enrique, Zidane, Wenger etc.

CQ WAS AGAINST FRIENDLIES
                he believed in practice only
                so he dnt show his hand to te opponents .
                THE friendlies we got under him very few BUT
                WITH GOOD TEAMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Philosophy_King View Post
                  Agree with all of this. CQ was indeed a good match for Iran. TM, and in general Iranians, are strong individuals who can't play together in a team environment. (Sorry about simplifying and generalizations, just trying to get a point across) Hence, our success in wrestling, weight lifting, martial arts, etc. But our "teams" achieve very little despite individual talent. CQ was very good at developing team spirit and getting everyone to pull in the same direction. Hence, his success in Iran.
                  These skills may not be as helpful in other settings like Portugal, Colombia and even Egypt, where team spirit and team work are taught from an early age and is second nature to the players. In these countries, coaches distinguish themselves by their footballing tactics that they use and CQ's defensive ways takes a long time to develop and are not necessarily welcomed or popular. Hence, his lack of success in such countries. However, his defensive tactics helped Iran in both world cups where we went up against stronger teams.

Comment

I agree CQs tactics are telegraphed pretty clearly but I disagree that Iran would be better suited taking the game to these world class teams.

While there is an immeasurable amount of talent in Iran there is very poor incubation of the talent to become well drilled well rounded senior players. There are so many poor dribbles, poor shots, needless 1 man showboatery in the youth players that they rely on individual talent to carry their career.

We have nowhere near the institutions that countries like Japan and Germany have where every 4 years they can pump out players like Takefusa Kubo , Kai Havertz, Joshua Kimmich, etc who can play multiple positions and can cross, pass, dribble and shoot effectively. If we could produce such players every cycle without fail then I would agree with playing an expansive attack minded game.

Our player pool in 2014was poor. No denying that. Our midfield was Nekounam and Ando but at the twilight of their careers, and our only striker was Gucci, with many older defenders in the squad. How would anyone have expected us to play toe to toe with the rapid counterattacking Nigerians or the ping pong passing Argentinians? Our weaknesses got exploited vs Bosnia where their team was good in possession. We had no choice. In 2018, our Spain tactics were spot on and with slightly better finishing and some luck we would have executed.

Ultimately this is not CQor Skocics responsibility to teach our players to play an expansive game. That's on our youth institutions to teach the basics of football. We just get upset that so many players get chosen not for skill but because their amoo is so and so...and they play for certain club etc and we look to blame a foreign source

Comment

Play-off has been drawn

Egypt vs Senegal

Cameroon vs Algeria

Mali vs Tunisia

DR Congo vs Morocco

Ghana vs Nigeria

Comment

Salah v Mane

Comment

Don’t know about this Senegal team. Is it a favorable matchup for Egypt?

Comment

Originally posted by Omid177 View Post
                            Play-off has been drawn

Egypt vs Senegal

Cameroon vs Algeria

Mali vs Tunisia

DR Congo vs Morocco

Ghana vs Nigeria
                            Come on Senegal, congo, mali and cameroon!
                            Where is ivory coast?

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
                              Come on Senegal, congo, mali and cameroon!
                              Where is ivory coast?
                              They were with Cameroon in the same group in the earlier round and finished 2nd. It's a shame that they are not in the play-offs as they comfortably beat Algeria a few days ago in Africa Cup. Algeria has been very disappointing. I expected much more from them. I can't see them beating Cameroon to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by PersianLion80 View Post
                                Don’t know about this Senegal team. Is it a favorable matchup for Egypt?
                                Egypt are definitely the underdogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X