Ryan Tafazolli @ Wycombe Wanderers | 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
    I'm not sure that really means anything, especially in Asia.
    It means everything when you consider the level of Asian football. How doesn’t it mean anything?

Comment

Originally posted by mehdi13 View Post
      It means everything when you consider the level of Asian football. How doesn’t it mean anything?
      It's a mickey mouse tournament where teams now play every 3 days in blistering heat and humidity in the host country. The level of play is inconsistent. It's about which Saudi or Qatari team can bring in the best foreign player with their near unlimited budgets.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Saudi league is probably the 2nd most professional league in Asia (obviously after Japan), but with their club performances, infrastructure and opportunities, they should really be a much better football nation.

Comment

I appreciate people want to follow the career of a guy of Iranian descent but you need to get away from this idea that he will play for TM. It's not going to happen for a variety of reasons:

1) Perhaps most importantly, he's clearly not good enough on a technical level as his career has shown
        2) He's 30 and playing a division below the highest level he's ever played at
        3) He's never played a full season in either of the two 2 seasons he was at a team playing at the 2nd level of English football; Hull in 19/20 and Wycombe in 20/21
        4) He doesn't speak Farsi. Really important for communicating with his teammates. Listening to his interviews, he doesn't come across as very intelligent either. Probably went to a shitty comprehensive in Sutton.
        5) If CQ - a manager who advocated for players playing in Europe like Dejagah and Ghoddos - wasn't going to call him up back when we were playing the likes of Cheshmi at CB or when he was in the Championship, he's not getting called up by a man who doesn't know his ass from his elbow and hasn't given a whiff of anything to indicated he's of trying to increase his selection pool outside of IPL players

Some of you talk about how he was an academy player at Southampton. It means nothing and it doesn't make him special, there are plenty of ex Southampton academy players or other premier league academy teams playing non-league football.

Some of you talk about his aerial threat, he has 2 goals in 35 Championship games. Yes he has more goals at League 1 and League 2 level and against those sort of teams in the cups but you're talking about a much higher calibre of defence at the World Cup than f**king Crewe Alexandra and Exeter City. Defensively, we need a ball-playing, mobile, defensively aware and commanding central defender... not just someone who's capable of heading away corners and crosses. It's not how the other teams in our group play. They will destroy us through the middle with a player like this. This fascination with giants who must be at least 6'5''... this isn't basketball.

Some of you talk about his knowledge of the English game... where has that got him when he's played against teams at the highest club level in England, featuring current England internationals whose clubs play at a level similar to the English national team? Here are a selection of results from his teams' cup endeavours... I encourage you to watch the highlights where you'll see he's nowhere to be seen whenever teams are countering at pace like England and USA will:

- 6-1 loss to Man City (League Cup Sep 2021)
        - 2-1 loss to Chelsea (FA Cup Jan 2020)
        - 5-0 loss to Middlesbrough (FA Cup Jan 2019)
        - 5-1 loss to Leicester (FA Cup Jan 2018)
        - 4-1 loss to Chelsea (FA Cup Jan 2017)

Besides, the English team aren't exactly some unknown quantity where it's difficult to find footage of their games. Their entire squad play in the biggest leagues in the world. Footage of their national team games are probably very easy to come by if the IFF wanted to request it. It's Skocic's job to "know the english team" not some English-speaking, 3rd division "ace in the hole"

Let's face it as a non-Farsi speaking player who isn't exactly going to add quality to our squad in the position he plays if, by some miracle, he does end up being called up... his TM career would be as short-lived and productive as that of Davari and Beitashour.

So please... give up on this dream. It'll be a nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by Malkay View Post
          I appreciate people want to follow the career of a guy of Iranian descent but you need to get away from this idea that he will play for TM. It's not going to happen for a variety of reasons:

1) Perhaps most importantly, he's clearly not good enough on a technical level as his career has shown
          3) He's never played a full season in either of the two 2 seasons he was at a team playing at the 2nd level of English football; Hull in 19/20 and Wycombe in 20/21
          4) He doesn't speak Farsi. Really important for communicating with his teammates. Listening to his interviews, he doesn't come across as very intelligent either. Probably went to a shitty comprehensive in Sutton.
          5) If CQ - a manager who advocated for players playing in Europe like Dejagah and Ghoddos - wasn't going to call him up back when we were playing the likes of Cheshmi at CB or when he was in the Championship, he's not getting called up by a man who doesn't know his ass from his elbow and hasn't given a whiff of anything to indicated he's of trying to increase his selection pool outside of IPL players

Some of you talk about how he was an academy player at Southampton. It means nothing and it doesn't make him special, there are plenty of ex Southampton academy players or other premier league academy teams playing non-league football.

Some of you talk about his aerial threat, he has 2 goals in 35 Championship games. Yes he has more goals at League 1 and League 2 level and against those sort of teams in the cups but you're talking about a much higher calibre of defence at the World Cup than f**king Crewe Alexandra and Exeter City. Defensively, we need a ball-playing, mobile, defensively aware and commanding central defender... not just someone who's capable of heading away corners and crosses. It's not how the other teams in our group play. They will destroy us through the middle with a player like this. This fascination with giants who must be at least 6'5''... this isn't basketball.

Some of you talk about his knowledge of the English game... where has that got him when he's played against teams at the highest club level in England, featuring current England internationals whose clubs play at a level similar to the English national team? Here are a selection of results from his teams' cup endeavours... I encourage you to watch the highlights where you'll see he's nowhere to be seen whenever teams are countering at pace like England and USA will:

Besides, the English team aren't exactly some unknown quantity where it's difficult to find footage of their games. Their entire squad play in the biggest leagues in the world. Footage of their national team games are probably very easy to come by if the IFF wanted to request it. It's Skocic's job to "know the english team" not some English-speaking, 3rd division "ace in the hole"

Let's face it as a non-Farsi speaking player who isn't exactly going to add quality to our squad in the position he plays if, by some miracle, he does end up being called up... his TM career would be as short-lived and productive as that of Davari and Beitashour.

I don’t mind him being tested, but I think people are ignoring the bigger point that you sort of touched on which is that our defense issue is a coaching problem, not the individual players. In defense CQ played many combinations of defenders and we rarely if ever conceded. I’m confident if he were coaching that people would be praising the back line of Moharrami, Kanaani, Khalilzadeh and Noorafkan. People would be saying our defense is amazing, not knowing that it’s the system that hides these guys deficiencies.

I don’t feel I’ve seen a clear plan from Skocic yet, which is worrying and especially on the defensive end, we don’t contract to provide the defenders support like we used to. This has exposed these players badly for their defensive weaknesses, and without a quick improvement, I don’t see us fairing well in the World Cup. Skocic reminds me immensely of Branko’s time with TM. Able to cope with Asian standards fairly well, but completely outclassed against capable opposition.

It could easily be another 2-0 loss, 3-1 loss, and 1-1 draw performance at the World Cup, which we’ve had that same or similar results a few times when the coaching isn’t up to snuff. That’s our usual level when we don’t have a higher tier coach like CQ with a concrete plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Malkay View Post

You make great points and I agree with you. I don't think he's good enough to start as a CB and I'd rather have someone faster with better ball-playing abilities. But if we're down a goal and keep sending in aerial balls in the 90th minute, who else do we have of his size - especially against the likes of England, US, and a European team? I can only see him being used as a super sub if we're down a goal or attempting to protect a result. All we're saying is he's at least worth a shot at a TM camp. Nothing to lose and if he's not good enough, send him back home. But compared to the likes of 6 ft tall Khalilzadeh & Kanaani, I'd wager he'd give them a run for their money on set pieces.

S - E - C - U - L - A - R - I - S - M

Comment

ok malkay you enjoy faraji and gholami.. rather than someone who deserves a call up, on form and playing in a very strong league...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by kaebi kabab View Post
                  ok malkay you enjoy faraji and gholami.. rather than someone who deserves a call up, on form and playing in a very strong league...
                  What's this guy's interest in playing for TM? Being a player of season is a big deal. Likely means he is at least English Championship level.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
                  Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

Some think Ali Beiro is benched at Boavista because of a language barrier within the team. If so then I believe it.

I am for testing Tafazolli, I've been for a while. But speaking the same language with your teammates is a must. Especially as a centre-back. I know there are ways around the barrier, I'm just not sure if now is the time to bring in Tafazolli.

I mean our team can't even prepare for a World Cup tournament. I say let's figure out our preparation plans first before calling up new players.

Comment

Originally posted by teammelli91 View Post
                      Some think Ali Beiro is benched at Boavista because of a language barrier within the team. If so then I believe it.

I am for testing Tafazolli, I've been for a while. But speaking the same language with your teammates is a must. Especially as a centre-back. I know there are ways around the barrier, I'm just not sure if now is the time to bring in Tafazolli.

I mean our team can't even prepare for a World Cup tournament. I say let's figure out our preparation plans first before calling up new players.
                      These days most of players can communicate the basic in english with exception of very few of course.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk

Comment

Tafazolli starting in the second leg at MK Dons

Comment

From what I've been told the coaching staff are in contact with him, however the chances of him being called up to the national team are slim considering he wasn't part of any WC qualification or friendly matches and the staff prefer others like Gholami, Aghasi, Faraji. I personally don't think Tafazolli is worse than Gholami for instance but some factors like: the language barrier, age, being at a national team camp recently will give these 3 more preference.

Of course Hosseini, Kanaani, Khalilzadeh and Pouraliganji would be the 4 selected and Skocic will not be going with a back 3 at the World Cup.

Ryan has his Iranian passport, so he can absolutely be selected and I know that he is eager to be called up but my opinion is that it won't happen - under this coaching staff anyway.
                          golbezanpodcast.com
                          twitter.com/GolBezan
                          instagram.com/GolBezan
                          youtube.com/GolBezan

Comment

Originally posted by Gol Bezan View Post
                            From what I've been told the coaching staff are in contact with him, however the chances of him being called up to the national team are slim considering he wasn't part of any WC qualification or friendly matches and the staff prefer others like Gholami, Aghasi, Faraji. I personally don't think Tafazolli is worse than Gholami for instance but some factors like: the language barrier, age, being at a national team camp recently will give these 3 more preference.

Of course Hosseini, Kanaani, Khalilzadeh and Pouraliganji would be the 4 selected and Skocic will not be going with a back 3 at the World Cup.

Ryan has his Iranian passport, so he can absolutely be selected and I know that he is eager to be called up but my opinion is that it won't happen - under this coaching staff anyway.
                            Thanks for the info. Just curious if it is your opinion that they are not gonna go with back 3 or you have some info that they have ruled it out.

Comment

Match finished 1-0 to MK Dons, but Wycombe go through to the final playoffs on aggregate. Tafazolli was the highest-rated player on his team with a SofaScore rating of 7.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Farzadfarhangni View Post
                                Thanks for the info. Just curious if it is your opinion that they are not gonna go with back 3 or you have some info that they have ruled it out.
                                I believe the intention is to play as back 4 and the players that I have spoken to also believe it'll be that way. 4-3-3 or 4-4-2.
                                golbezanpodcast.com
                                twitter.com/GolBezan
                                instagram.com/GolBezan
                                youtube.com/GolBezan

Comment

Working...
                                X