Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, we survived. Now let's bring back CQ.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd love to revisit this thread after our first crappy result in the next round of qualifiers. Ask yourself how your responses would differ if we'd squeaked by this round, or if we'd needed the result of another group match to go through. I'm not trying to dampen the euphoria, and I do think he deserves credit for his work under these unfavorable circumstances.

Skocic's contract expired, btw. Apparently they're negotiating a renewal but there is a real possibility that CQ's in the discussion. All the bad blood with the federation notwithstanding, I'd bet he'd take the job if offered. It's a 1-year straight shot to the world cup with a team he already knows (and likely a high salary). The federation should do everything in its power to get him.

Again, not saying he's perfect, and his results with Colombia do raise an eyebrow. But he's at the intersection of "best coach" and "possible" for us.

I'll also point out one more thing: the real test of Skocic (and we'll really begin to miss CQ) is when the team has its first bad result, or first controversy. Will players give secret interviews? Create rival camps in the squad? Create hashiyeh?

Whatever you want to say about CQ, he was able to keep our heads on straight. Even if we didn't beat all our opponents, he set us up so that we only rarely beat ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz View Post
      The passage of time may blur people's recollection of the past which is why it's absolutely vital we shut down any kind of anti-CQ talk before it has an opportunity to grow and affect people's perceptions, particularly for future generations. It's dangerous and is why we need that solid gold statue ASAP.

Misinformation campaigns will fail, even if I have to shed blood as a martyr.
      lol this took a weird turn

Comment

Originally posted by ramingeles2000 View Post
        bet he'd take the job if offered. It's a 1-year straight shot to the world cup

I'll also point out one more thing: the real test of Skocic (and we'll really begin to miss CQ) is when the team has its first bad result, or first controversy. Will players give secret interviews? Create rival camps in the squad? Create hashiyeh?
        Ya he'd take the job. No one but maybe Iran and Iraq have even considered him outside of Colombia.

Right...Bahrain being awarded hosting, needing 4 must wins against 2 Arab teams in ArabFC and COvId not enough hashiyeh for you? What about dudes contract expiring and yet Skocic didn't once mention it in pre or post match events and is now negotiating outside of media to keep his players shielded. Give it up...Skocic has shown nothing but class and yet people dare call him amateur. Cq has the name, the resume, but he also has a trail of destruction destruction no real hardware to mention st international senior men's. I liked CQ but time has really given me perspective. One of the highest paid coaches in both WC with TM...thats a lot from a sanction limited IFF.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
        Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

Originally posted by O-ZoNe View Post
          Ya he'd take the job. No one but maybe Iran and Iraq have even considered him outside of Colombia.

Right...Bahrain being awarded hosting, needing 4 must wins against 2 Arab teams in ArabFC and COvId not enough hashiyeh for you? What about dudes contract expiring and yet Skocic didn't once mention it in pre or post match events and is now negotiating outside of media to keep his players shielded. Give it up...Skocic has shown nothing but class and yet people dare call him amateur. Cq has the name, the resume, but he also has a trail of destruction destruction no real hardware to mention st international senior men's. I liked CQ but time has really given me perspective. One of the highest paid coaches in both WC with TM...thats a lot from a sanction limited IFF.

who gives us a better chance at WC2022 success? Skocic or CQ? And why are you concerned with CQ's paycheck lol?

The fact is that Iran wasn't an international pariah, wasnt unable to make payments, and wasn't completely desperate after Wilmots....we'd have a different coach. If the federation wasn't idiotic, we'd still have CQ.

So answer the question: what's the downside of CQ returning?

Comment

who gives us a better chance at WC2022 success? Skocic or CQ? And why are you concerned with CQ's paycheck lol?

The fact is that Iran wasn't an international pariah, wasnt unable to make payments, and wasn't completely desperate after Wilmots....we'd have a different coach. If the federation wasn't idiotic, we'd still have CQ.

History has shown that those who don't learn from it our bound to repeat it. If you are satisfied with a first round exit with CQ then your logic makes sense. You could achieve that in much cheaper ways. Skocic could be a cheaper first round exit but so far when facing adversity he has done well...albeit in Asia thus far he has done well. Why not give someone else a chance? CQ got far more chances with TM than most do in a lifetime....8 years is no small joke in footballing terms.

Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

It's the same old we can get better coach or the same results for cheaper argument that has been made by the anti CQ crowd for the last couple years.

These same people went mia during the wiltits fiasco and suddenly re appeared on the forum once skocic saved our ass. If skocic hadnt pull this off this turnaround these same member's would still be mia.

Classic perisan namak nashnas I'm gonna hide until I'm right attitude and then I knew it all along.

All that being said I don't see CQ coming back and I don't agree with canning a coach on a 7 win streak.

Skocic deserves his shot, I just hope runs the team as his rather than a I'm happy to be here coach. Take domestic party bazi out of player selection, and start the best players.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think it'd be incredibly harsh and kinda messed up to fire someone who

-caused no hashiyeh
                -zero complaints
                -level headed coach

Most importantly skocic has shown that he is very flexible with his tactics and lineups

He is able to read the game and make changes quicky, and he isn't stubborn like CQ

Yes, CQ did a lot for TM and ran a tight ship, but I think Skocic deserves some respect and credit for the results we got this round.

Every Single card was stacked against us, and he managed to beat bahrain and iraq in bahrain.

You can say whatever you want, but iran never had a good time against either team when CQ was in charge.

CQ even chickened out against iraq in the asian cup and went for a scrappy draw instead of a win.

Skocic deserves a chance to at LEAST coach us in the next round, and I think he can improve some of the smaller issues we have but overall the team certainly has a decent plan and defends well and attacks well in general.

CQ burned a lot if bridges in Iran, even if he did so rightfully. I just don't see him coming back unfortunately. Skocic is out to prove himself and is putting in good work.
                AKP Parti, Turkiye - Haj Bernie Sandersoglu

Comment

Originally posted by Taz View Post
                  The passage of time may blur people's recollection of the past which is why it's absolutely vital we shut down any kind of anti-CQ talk before it has an opportunity to grow and affect people's perceptions, particularly for future generations. It's dangerous and is why we need that solid gold statue ASAP.
                  Misinformation campaigns will fail, even if I have to shed blood as a martyr.
                  no doubt CQ was the best ever coach we have had, and this includes the Heshmat Mohajerani and the O'ffarrell days.

The reality today is that there's so much bad blood between CQ and IFF that there is no chance that CQ will be back in Iran.
                  No one is saying Skocic is in the same league as CQ. However we have a coach that gave us a 4-0 result when our qualification depended on it. Quite honestly I was very pessimistic and I just did not see us beat our opposition. We've all seen the history of our football when we had to win against the likes of Bahrain, KSA and Iraq and we've seen the results.

Skocic delivered, and he delivered without any drama. Not a single player quit the camp. No player went to the media to complain. He managed to pull together the team after the Belgian Waffle debacle, ignore all the obstacles thrown in front of us by this corrupt AFC, and he managed to bitchslap some of these arab football federations while playing on their OWN soil.

So yes, CQ is the greatest in our football history, but if it is Skocic versus Ghalenoi, Branko or Yhayha, to me the decision is pretty straightforward.
                  “It is easier to fool the people, than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain

Comment

I'd love to revisit this thread after our first crappy result in the next round of qualifiers. Ask yourself how your responses would differ if we'd squeaked by this round, or if we'd needed the result of another group match to go through. I'm not trying to dampen the euphoria, and I do think he deserves credit for his work under these unfavorable circumstances.
                    Skocic's contract expired, btw. Apparently they're negotiating a renewal but there is a real possibility that CQ's in the discussion. All the bad blood with the federation notwithstanding, I'd bet he'd take the job if offered. It's a 1-year straight shot to the world cup with a team he already knows (and likely a high salary). The federation should do everything in its power to get him.
                    Again, not saying he's perfect, and his results with Colombia do raise an eyebrow. But he's at the intersection of "best coach" and "possible" for us.
                    Whatever you want to say about CQ, he was able to keep our heads on straight. Even if we didn't beat all our opponents, he set us up so that we only rarely beat ourselves.
                    I am an ardent Queiroz supporter, and really want to see him take the helm if negotiations with Skocic fail. Under this scenario, Queiroz would clearly be the rational choice to lead Iran, particularly because he knows the team well, loves the country and, perhaps more importantly, has a nagging desire to complete the mission, which is to lead Iran to a historic advancemnet to the second round of the World Cup.

Having said all that, dropping Skocic after he's done an admirable job in helping Iran qualify for the next phase of qualifications seems irrational and devoid of ethical considerations. A little over a year ago, after the team's distrous qualification campaign, there were few who believed Iran would make it to the next round. Iran was left with the unenviable task of winning four games in a row, and there was ample confusion, and even a sense of panic, over coaching selection.

Then came Skocic, the humble croatian coach who was leading a not-so-prominent team in the South. Mainly because of the country's financial woes, Skocic agreed to take the job for a meager salary, initially paid in Iranian Rial. He's also known to have adapted to the Iranian cultural traditions and mores quite well, and has even picked up some Persian. So far, he's had good rapport with the players and the federation and, above all, has manged to pull off the unthinkable: lead the country to the second round of qualifications.

The question is, under these circumstances, what message does releasing him send to the players, future potential coaches as well as young and passionate supporters of Team Melli? That hard work, dedication and positive results are not necessarily the leading criteria in decision- making of this kind? That we are devoid of a sense of loyalty?

I believe, then, barring any conditions that might make his contarct extension unfeasbale, including overall player dissatisfaction, he should be allowed to continue his quest to help Iran reach its third consecutive World Cup.

Comment

With any coach the chance of qualifying are going to be 50/50, a coin toss, a lot of drama and a good chance of 4 years of heartache. No one will be able to stand up to the IFF, press, hashie, corruption, incompetence, and sanctions. The only person who can give us a 85-90% guarantee of a hassle-free berth in these circumstances is CQ. The longer he was at the helm, the greater WC successes he had, and he is our only shot to get in and go beyond the first round.
                      زن زندگی آزادی

Comment

Remember CQ's 1-0 loss to Lebanon or his 1-0 loss to Uzbekistan? Mark my words, people on this forum were calling for his head on a pike. I remember explicitly. We gave him a chance and he's now a legend in Iranian football.

Now we have a coach that has done nothing wrong other than his mediocre resume before taking TM. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. We are making a problem where there are no problems.

Let's wait until there are some actual issues in TM and then we can seriously discuss imo. But right now I think these conversations hurt TM and the comradery built after going 4-0.

Comment

News out of iraq is circulating

Iraq will start negotiations with carlos Q. Asap.

Comment

Originally posted by kateb View Post

Source please

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kateb View Post

What they smokin?

Comment

who gives us a better chance at WC2022 success? Skocic or CQ?
                                You're raising a very good point here Ramin jaan... CQ would definitely give us better chances of making it to the WC given his familiarity with the team and past record at this stage, although as for the actual WC, we're still a long way from having to worry about.

But I think it's very difficult to put a number on that. Would he boost our chances by 10% or 100%? At 10% I would rather leave the past and look to the future despite the uncertainty. At 100%, I'd definitely want CQ back and even kiss his hand!

But I honestly don't think our odds of making the WC with Skocic (regardless of the draw) are 50% or less. Given the last 4 results, I'd be inclined to say 80% or higher. There's something VERY important and relevant about what Skocic and TM did that most people are forgetting:

>>> We just played 4 must-win matches in 12 days in scorching heat (33°C+ temperatures) away from home!

In other words, this wasn't like previous WC qualifications but more like a mini Asian Cup or World Cup but with much higher temperatures and crappier pitches. And if we leave out Cambodia, our opponents were not much worse than in AC 2019 (Iraq was the same, Bahrain for Vietnam and Hong Kong for Yemen).

In AC2019 we got 7 points from those three matches, here we got 9 points. So, despite the last match being super crappy in every aspect except the result, I don't think it's all doom & gloom or that we're going to have a disastrous next round.

I like to think the boys were super exhausted in that last match and the fact that we had a mental block against Iraq for years and all the pressure had something to do with the bad performance and not just blame it on Skocic (let's face it, our previous 2nd halves were pretty decent).

Qatar won the last AC with a practically unknown coach and they were freaking' crappy Qatar! And there are plenty of other examples of teams outdoing their previous successes without well-known coaches or big names.

So, if he stays on (and I guess that's a BIG if at this point) let's stay positive, keep supporting TM and give the guy a chance. No point stressing ourselves over things we have no control over - a little wisdom that I finally gained with lots of years behind me!

Comment

Working...
                                X