No announcement yet.

Dragan Skočić Appreciation Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any idea what his explanation was in the post match presser?

I think the main point of his lineup was to catch the Bahraini's off guard, hold Bahrain in the first half to no goals, and unleash hell on them in the second half while they're more gassed.

In any case, he made adjustments, and that's the most important thing a coach can know how to do.

Someone before mentioned the in-depth changes he made and that's the sign of someone who's aware and knows what they're doing, adapting to different situations.

Originally posted by Afat11 View Post
    As a general matter, it doesn’t make sense to say the coach is purposefully playing weak players with a weak tactic to A. Get in the mind of the other team B. Conserve players to use later, C. Some other sneaky reason. In a do or die game like this, you don’t look ahead to 2 games from now (even if it worked you’d be stupid to do that as a manager).

Let’s be real that Skocic was out of his depth in the first half. You start your best players in a do or die game like this. Imagine Hajsafi had given a stupid pass (which he did many times) and they’d scored before us. We’d be singing a different tune after a great deal of Bahraini grass rolling.

It’s disingenuous to say a coach ever puts a bad lineup out on purpose. He didn’t and it wasn’t an “ace up his sleeve” situation. When that backfires, you’re out of a job. The team he started was bad, that’s it. He needs to improve going forward. If he has Hajsafi out there against Iraq trying to “surprise them” and bring in the big guns at 60th minute, we will be in a perfect position to lose. Make better decisions to start. We have a lot of depth, no reason to put out that weak starting lineup.

Comment

!!!!!

Bingo

Originally posted by Mansoor View Post
      Salam doostan,
      I am not going to defend or attack anyone, just posting from a coaching perspective.

Dragan had a plan for this game:

The match was in a hot and unfavorable environment.
      You go in aggressive, and with Bahrainis fresh leg, you could concede a goal,
      and there go the usual time-wasting strategies.
      Our emotions kick in, and before we recover, 90 min is quickly over. Down 1-0, WC run is over.

Instead:
      Start conservatively, control the game, let them run, and lose their fresh legs under this extreme temperature before pushing forward.
      So Dragan started the first half with 4-4-2 flat with two def midfielders, Hajsafi was terrible, Milad was awful, and with this 4-4-2, the midfield was too congested to create chances for Taremi and Azmoun.

The key to flat 4-4-2 is to have two play-makers speeding up the game and opening the space in wings for fullbacks to advance. Milad was terrible advancing, Moharrami rarely did, Ghaolizadeh and Amiri rarely created chances. That was because our wide plays did not exist; Bahrain congested the deep plays very well.

Similar to HK game, Dragan had a diff plan for the second half.

He changed to 4-3-3 with a V in midfield, similar to most of Carlos's games but more offensive. Gholizadeh and Taremi went to wings to create width and more space for Ghoddous and Amiri in the middle to make plays. With Amiri needed in midfield for his runs, he had no choice but to replace Milad with Ehsan and make two changes with one sub. Brilliant and efficient sub, just in case we need more subs upfront.

The plan worked well; we played wide, created space deep, and split the defenders twice for two world-class finishes.

When Amiri got injured, he brought in Saeed and changed the formation to /\ of 4-3-3, also known as 4-2-3-1, moving Ghoddous in front of Ahmad and Saeed. Excellent move since we were up 2-0, and it was wise to control the game and close the middle where the opponent looked a bit dangerous and hopeful. With this sub, it was clear that Bahrain could no longer score, and he basically sealed the game.

Dragan showed three formations in one game which displays tactical flexibility. In addition, his real-time decision-making to change tactics twice is rated A.

He also gets an A for his game plan and intelligent subs. However, he gets a B for not recognizing Milad was not ready mentally, and Milad's ineffectiveness cost us the first half.

He also gets A to have Bagheri on the bench. There were 11 calm Karim on the field today, apparent effects of Karim's incredible role-model leadership. Calm and focused players against a team like Bahrain was part of the reason for Iran's success.

Well done, Iran. Dragan may field some of the reserves to start the next game to keep fresh legs for the Iraq match under this hot temperature and back-to-back games. Perhaps, Karim, Jahanbaksh, Ghaedi, and Torabi.

Comment

Let’s not forget TM has never beaten Bahrain in Bahrain under any coach. Never. That accomplishment goes to Dragan.

Comment

One thing I think we are being unfair on towards Skocic is how much space Bahrain had on the wings in the 1st half.

The idea was for our 3 central mids to cut off the passes to the wing or at least slow things down - however Hajisafi was an absolute disaster. It ended up stretching our defense out and causing Amiri to have to run for 2-3 players.

Sometimes its not the coaches fault when a player completely messes up his role and in turn destroys the team tactics.

Unfortunately I think he will still stick with Hajisafi, as a LB though.

Comment

[CODE]I say we keep this thread open until Iraq game. If we win that game in a similar manner as today then give the guy the Iranian Nobel price because beating both Bahrain in Bahrain and Iraq is impressive. That’s not to say that we have a very strong team at the moment and if Skocic can manage us through that I’d perhaps trust him to take us through the next phase. But if not close this thread lol
            My line up vs Iraq with Amiris injury would be
            Beiro
            Sadegh PAG Shoja MiMo(he’s tough he’ll get it together one bad game vs HajiSafi always bad )
            Ghoddos Ezzi Nollahi
            Gholi. Azmoun. Ghasem T
            Nourallai scored vs Iraq last time around and the ghoddos Gholi combo is dirty have Ezzi behind them two and play a 4-3-3
            Captain PAG
            Subs if we are leading bring Hosseini or Hossein move PAG to midfield and take out Ahmad if we need a goal take out Ahmad bring in Torobche or AJB

Comment

I just watched our last games against Iraq and what was pretty concerning, was the way Iraqis dominated the Middle field, won most of the man to man exchanges and pressed high to prevent us from building up our Game.
              For this reason i would prefer a solid Middle Field involving Ezatollahi and Nourolahi for the defensive work and built up and upfront Ghoddus/Gholizadeh/Torabi

My Line-Up against Iraq: 3-5-2

--------------Beiro-----------
              Moharami---PAG---------MIMO
              ----------Ezato.--Noural--------
              Gholizadeh--Ghoddus----Torabi
              ----Azmoun------- Taremi--------

Ideally Amiri would replace Torabi, but since he is injured i would go for Torabi, who is a dangerous dribbler and crucial for creating chances.

Possibly Subs ARJ, Ghaedi, Ansarifard

Comment

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but did you guys see Skocic reaction and passion after the 3rd goal? It reminded me of CQ's famous fist to south korea.
                does anyone have the full video?
                Last edited by webmaster; 06-07-2021, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by milad_b View Post
                  I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but did you guys see Skocic reaction and passion after the 3rd goal? It reminded me of CQ's famous fist to south korea.

does anyone have the full video?
                  He didnt do anything,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xMxc4_2sd4&t=2446s

go to 2446s
                  __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
                  We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Comment

Originally posted by webmaster View Post
                    He didnt do anything,
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xMxc4_2sd4&t=2446s
                    go to 2446s
                    thanks koka . It still doesn't show his celebration. I wanted to see what he showed the camera. 1 fist or two fist lol

I think whatever he did, they censored it.

Comment

^ well my camera was off at that specific moment :-) but I hope the AFC wont now go after him for that because we all know how they work.
                      We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented

Comment

I will give Skokic credit for pulling this win off but he will need to get us a win against Iraq and into the World Cup final before I give him my stamp of approval.

Comment

Originally posted by webmaster View Post
                          ^ well my camera was off at that specific moment :-) but I hope the AFC wont now go after him for that because we all know how they work.
                          hahaha it would've been a some epic hostoric moment. I think AFC has learn their lesson ! never mess with iranians they come back harder than ever.

Comment

In that pre-match press conference this Bahraini journalist asked Skocic (I'm slightly paraphrasing): Whuee Whot you think iz different game in Iran than Bahrain, you think you can uhh win in duh Bahrain?"

(basically kerm mirikht)

Skocic: OK. Why it is different?

Journalist: Uhhh but uhhh

Translator in English: He eez saying dat vill it be hard for Team Meli to win-

Skocic: NO. Why it is hard?

Journalist: But uhhh coach Team Melli whuee lost in whueee year ago herre in whuee Bahrain.

Skocic: OK. That was year ago. Differrrent team. Differrrent tack-teeck. Differrent plaYerR. DifferrrrenT coach. We are focus on game. We respect Bahraini team, but we are goin for the veen tomorrow. OK?

Translator in Farsi: Ba tamaame ehteraam ke baraaye Bahrain ghaa-el hastim, Aghaye morabi daran migan ke farda, (clears throat) Team Melli gharrare ke k**netoono soorkh bokone ba 3ta goal.

Skocic: Ok. We good OK?

Translator: Okay.

Skocic: OK.

Comment

Skocic: EvRRy bowdee Okay?

Everybody: Okay..

Skocic: OK?

Everybody: Okay.

Skocic: OK.

Comment

The coach is average at best. Yes, he is no CQ.

Because of Sardar's yellow card he played him for 70 minutes against Hong Kong. I was worried for 70 minutes in that game... this was a risky decision (negative on Skocic).

poor selection of players in first half of Bahrain game.

If it was me, I would file a criminal charges against Wilmots. He took advantage of us and put us in this situation to be afraid of Bahrain.

Iran is ranked in 20, I guess 29 in football ranking. Bahrain is ranked in 79.

No thank you at this time.
                                چو ایران نباشد تن من مباد

Comment

Working...
                                X