No announcement yet.

Dragan Skočić Appreciation Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we cant compare coaching at CLUB teams and Nat'l teams when it comes to impressing the coach's STYLE onto the team. Especially a european club vs. an asian nat'l team
    for obvious reasons:
    Far more time with the players, Much larger pool of players (especially more in affluent clubs) to pick from to suit your intended style, ...etc.

Nat'l team coaches usually have to do with what they have basically. And have to arrive at a compromise of half his intended style, half the tools he has at his disposal, ... all the while having very very little time to work things out.
    Now if you consider the nat'l team as an asian one, then your problems are doubled

Comment

I didnt imply anything about klopp, shoja, or van dijk. You did.

You said it is relevant without saying how it was relevant. And to that extent, I did not imply anything either then. I was simply asking you a question if that is what you meant.

My point is just that the coach needs to have a very well defined vision of how he wants his team to play before anything else. I believe we had that under CQ. That doesnt mean the vision was perfect, or that we won every game we were supposed to, but you could see and associate a certain style of football with our national team, for better or worse. This style was to be extremely well organized, but highly combative when closing men down, in 50/50s, etc , and then break with fast transitions. The players bought into it and thats why we achieved our record points total in a very difficult group in Russia. This was the style you could associate with CQ football throughout his time as assistant in united, head coach at real, etc. It took a slightly deeper form with our team bc of the player deficiencies you mention, and CQ wanted to cover those deficiencies as much as possible (which he did to a great extent). But with the explosion from Azmoun and Taremi in the past years, and the development of guys like gholizadeh, allahyar, moharrami, etc our team has the ability to execute those transition moments even better today.

It took CQ more than 12 practice days to implement his style with Iran, no? And I am glad that you said that CQ adapted his football to Iran by sitting deeper given some deficiencies in players... A coach needs to have a style but needs to be pragmatic as well and adapt his style with realities of the country, players, situation etc... I believe Skocic has a style (Very Croatian style similar to Dalic's 2018 team) and has adapted it very well with everything Team Melli given lack of practice and importance of every game since he took over.

I didnt see any such definitive style or footballing identity from Skocic during his time at SNA, Gol Gohar, Foolad and I dont think anybody has even bothered to argue that there was any such planning. With TM it all seems extremely game to game and short-termist approach which I and many others think may lead to an eventual failure on big stage. Now we seem way less secure without the ball, lacking ideas with the ball for long stretches (lot of shorter passes that eventually lead to turnovers bc our midfielders are too weak to circulate the ball as soon as they are pressed or try line breaking ball, lot of aimless crosses bc we struggle to break teams down from open play if not azmoun/taremi combo), and notably much weaker on set pieces (used to be one of our strengths).

Again, the reality is he could not start playing against Bahrain and Iraq with long term in mind given the must win nature of every game he has been in charge. And reading your above paragraph makes me think that we have lost our last 10 games about lacking ideas and constant turnovers by our midfield. We have been dominating pretty much every game since he has been in charge. The nature of soccer is that you score one or two or three goals a game. For the most part, the rest of the time, by definition, you have lost the ball and looked lacking in ideas.

To the points mentioned that International team coaches have less time on the training ground, less player selection optionns since no transfers, those are both very true points. That is why its even more crucial to develop an identity and philosophy for the national team that the players buy in to and can understand easily. It is precisely that style and identity the team will lean on during the most difficult moments of a WC. That is why our team was able to compete so well vs 3 objectively superior sides and get a very solid points return too, not necessarily bc the style was perfect, but because every single player there bought into it 200%.

Again, look for similarities with 2018 Croatia team. We don't need to finish 2nd. Round of 16 is a win for us.

And again, this doesnt mean I think every single thing skocic does has been bad. I actually think he has achieved exactly what he was brought in to do -> Short terms results, and from mental perspective calmed the team down in stressful time and does understand iranian psyche well. I think he is an honest, hardworking guy and the players definitely appreciate that after wilmots charalatan experience where guy was actively trying to lose. I just think that Skocic has severe technical limitations that people know about (why he hasnt been hired even to any notable posts in croatia or eastern europe recently) and lacks a longer term vision to lead the national team of a country with as much talent as ours.

I appreciate this above paragraph the most and one that I think I can learn the most from. What are his deficiencies? Serious question as every coach and every style has deficiencies and I would love to learn more at what you think his deficiencies are? I can guess his substitutions and player selection, which I can debate too, but I am sure there are others as well. Thanks.

Comment

Yeah, comparing a club team to a national team is not an apples to apples comparison! I'm not sure what the implication was by a Ralf Rangnick video about how Jurgen Klopp transformed Liverpool.

Comment

Why do people say there isn't a style? If you've been watching the matches, it's clear that we focus on build-up and possession when we can (especially in the second half), play through a lot of 1 and twos, and in transition rely on through balls over the top to beat defenders when they play a high line. A lot of our goals have been through this - taking advantage of opponents playing high and when we gain possession, play it quickly to Taremi and Azmoun.

We also pressure high too against weaker teams which works very well. The Arab opponents we had for the most part can't possess against us when we do this. The high pressure has gotten us numerous dangerous opportunities. This might be the biggest difference I've seen. Like in the Lebanon match, when we lost the ball, we would immediately get it back with intense pressure. There is no passive play anymore.

Just because we don't defend as well (which is a valid concern) and do not play more defensive style CQ football, doesn't mean there isn't a style. It's just one we aren't as much used to.

Comment

Originally posted by nisfejahan View Post
            The more optimistic and statistically astute people see Dalic and Croatia 2018 team as a model. Dalic was coaching various Al-Soosmar teams before taking on the Croatia job. Come on to the side of reality. It is more fun.
            p.s. How is the "reversion to mean" working out in the Potter-land?!!! Eight games since the last league win? Reality catching up with a scheduling fluke. I hate to say it, but I told you so!!!
            You seem to just be disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing now. We literally made the same point, Di Matteo and Dalic are poor coaches who didn't hold their team back, yes.

And lol at still trying to fight the good fight on Potter. 8th in the league, continuing to keep them safe from relegation with minimal spend and playing expansive football, it was wrong to try and claim he isn't one of the best managers going a year ago, now it's just downright embarrassing.

Don't get swept up in the emotion of discussion, reply to the content of posts not the identity of posters.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz View Post
              You seem to just be disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing now. We literally made the same point, Di Matteo and Dalic are poor coaches who didn't hold their team back, yes.

And lol at still trying to fight the good fight on Potter. 8th in the league, continuing to keep them safe from relegation with minimal spend and playing expansive football, it was wrong to try and claim he isn't one of the best managers going a year ago, now it's just downright embarrassing.

Don't get swept up in the emotion of discussion, reply to the content of posts not the identity of posters.
              Au Contraire my friend. Not only you are statistically challenged, but your English reading skills also leave a lot to be desired.

NO, we do not agree. I do not believe Dalic is a poor coach!! He took a team on the verge of disqualification (sounds familiar?!), not only he helped that very same team qualify, but he took them aaaal the way, losing to an in-form France in the final. Here, I will make it easy for you to understand...,..... Good results ----> Good coach

As far as your idol Potter. Brighton is in this position only due to a scheduling fluke. BHA played three relegation-type teams at the beginning, and then got some AFC-type refereeing help to beat LC. Since then???? 8 games without a win!!!

Again, here I'll make it easy for you. Look at the records in the last 5 games. The only other team with the same record over the last five games is New-Malakh United, all the way at 20th.

Lesson concluded. You are most certainly welcome!!
              Sign this petition to show opposition to US/UK support for the Rajavi/MKO cult

https://chng.it/ZsSzczNC2Z

Comment

So bitter calm down lad, you don't need to give lectures with your high and mighty tone, just stick to discussing the topic.

Brighton are 9th after a third of the season and you've been crying out saying they would get relegated under Potter for the last god knows how many years. If you'd like to discuss Potter please up the ARJ threads of old and we can go back and see whose arguments look sillier. I assure you you wouldn't like the outcome.

Comment

^^ statistically challenged and a very short memory!!!😂😂

Don’t take it personally, I’m only funning with you. Enjoy the TM ride and don’t worry about BHA and Potter for now. The lizzard only uses Potter and that team to launder his money. No skin off my back (or yours)🤣🤣
                  Sign this petition to show opposition to US/UK support for the Rajavi/MKO cult

https://chng.it/ZsSzczNC2Z

Comment

http://www.persianfootball.com/forum...=1#post2779444

Thread here to continue Potter discussion 👍

Comment

Originally posted by koorosh View Post
                      Which coach with a shinning resume was available when we got rid of Wilmots? Who is this world famous coach willing to live in Iran when Iranians themselves would rather live elsewhere? Live without their families, and without some basic expectations. And with the track record of not paying our coaches...CQ & Wilmots, Sheaffer, That other Portuguese coach, Brankovic, etc etc. ending in disputes/court cases.
                      Koorosh jan, out interest, which coach are you referring to by "that other Portuguese coach"?

Comment

^^^
                        I can't remember his name for sure...Toni maybe? Was the coach of Tractor Sazi. Please let me know if I was wrong.

Comment

https://www.alraimedia.com/article/1...شيلهافي

Kuwait FA negotiating with Dragan Skocic (among others), it was only a matter of time.

PLEASE DON'T LEAVE US SKOCIC!!! WE DID NOT KNOW YOUR WORTH!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Leicester City View Post
                            https://www.alraimedia.com/article/1...شيلهافي

Kuwait FA negotiating with Dragan Skocic (among others), it was only a matter of time.

PLEASE DON'T LEAVE US SKOCIC!!!
                            alrai media is like the National Enquirer of Kuwait. It is nothing but wild rumors.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
                              alrai media is like the National Enquirer of Kuwait. It is nothing but wild rumors.

Other news media reporting too

Comment

skocic will leave for a neighbour country that will pay him 10-20 times what he gets in iran. BUT, he prob will leave after world cup.

Comment

Working...
                                X