This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iranianarsenal11 View Post
    Anyone who thinks he's coming back to Team Melli is delusional. That ship has long sailed.

He is still a world class manager. Remember, he was fired by Colombia, not the Mozambique National Team...

He will find another coaching gig soon. Let's hope it's a club team so he can bring some of our players in, although I'm pretty sure he doesn't enjoy coaching club.
    Ironically he is from Mozambique himself.

Comment

I wish CQ all the best. If he wants to continue to coach (I hope he does), I want him to look forward and not to the past. TM and Iran are in his past. He did the best he could, with what he was given, and won the love of 80 million people. Not many coaches can say that. His legacy is written in stone in Iranian football forever. Thank you CQ and may you find happiness in the next chapter of your life.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
        When you talk about not being given a chance, what is it that makes soccer federations give a coach a chance? What do they base such decisions on?
        Winning hardware is imo the rule of thumb. CQ never did that yet continuously got extensions.

Originally posted by The View Post

We were one Taremi header or Taremi shot with the left foot from qualifying to the knockout round of the WC with group consisting of Spain, Portugal, the best team in Africa.
        Yes...we definitely were but thats only with a Moroccan own goal. Where would we have been without that own goal? Still a Taremi shot away? Doubtful.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we would all be full and happy...

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
        Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

Originally posted by O-ZoNe View Post
          Viera in 97 didnt even get the chance to coach us in WC 98. Who knows what that team could have done with him in France 98 and beyond?
          You could also argue Talebi in 1998 had 1 victory and more goals scored with TM while CQ only had 1 goal scored and no victories in 2014. So does that mean Talebi had been robbed of 4 more years? What you are saying is nonsensicle in the sense that you play football to win...CQ didnt win at seniors mens level coaching our NT anymore than the coaches before him.
          Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
          nonsensical is subjective here! I beg to differ.

Playing to win vs playing to achieve a new standard.
          If its purely to win for the sake of it, you have a point. But qualifying to two WC, going almost an entire campaign with clean sheet! Holding a clean sheet vs Argentina till min 89, almost doing the same vs Spain. Holding clean sheets in two WCs (vs Nigeria 2014, vs Morocco 2018) is setting new standards.
          I choose new standards vs purely better winning statistical percentage.
          CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Winning hardware is imo the rule of thumb. CQ never did that yet continuously got extensions.
            Your response implies that winning hardware isn't the sole reason for being offered a chance/contract extension since none were won in this case. With that in mind what caused the IFF to offer CQ a chance and an extension while other TM coaches weren't offered a chance and an extension?

Edit: while we have a difference in opinion regarding specific cases but I think we both are touching upon something else namely why have we not achieved success in the past 40 years. I'll open a thread about my thoughts on that in a bit and I hope you will contribute to it.
            I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Adesor Vafaseya View Post
              nonsensical is subjective here! I beg to differ.

Playing to win vs playing to achieve a new standard.
              If its purely to win for the sake of it, you have a point. But qualifying to two WC, going almost an entire campaign with clean sheet! Holding a clean sheet vs Argentina till min 89, almost doing the same vs Spain. Holding clean sheets in two WCs (vs Nigeria 2014, vs Morocco 2018) is setting new standards.
              I choose new standards vs purely better winning statistical percentage.
              Ok. Holding a clean sheet vs Nigeria is great...how about in that same WC you only score 1 goal in 3 matches. Thats also a record low for us in any WC competition...? Curious how you rationalize this?

Comment

CQ fails when he tries to appease fans of attacking football.
                In Real Madrid, Colombia and even Iran from 2011-12 he tried attacking football and failed. He is more comfortable with defensive tactics and psychology.
                To say he’s a bad manager is unfair.

Comment

Ok. Holding a clean sheet vs Nigeria is great...how about in that same WC you only score 1 goal in 3 matches. Thats also a record low for us in any WC competition...? Curious how you rationalize this?

I rationalize it in the following way,
                  the same WC (2014) that we did better than prevoius (2006) and afterwards progressed much better in 2018.
                  I call this progress.
                  This progress is what I call setting new standards as compared to better winning statistics.

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

I rationalize it in the following way,
                    the same WC (2014) that we did better than prevoius (2006) and afterwards progressed much better in 2018.
                    I call this progress.
                    This progress is what I call setting new standards as compared to better winning statistics.
                    Did we do better in 2014 than 2016? We drew in both WC. We lost twice. We scored more in 2006 and had better possession. Until 2014 we never lost to Bosnia.

And so for CQ the bar of comparison is Branko and 2014? I think we should compare CQ to the teams and coaches of the same period. When it counted we lost in AC and didn't advance past round 1.

Comment

O-ZoNe, can you please remind me, who was our coach for our best WC performance ever? (On a percentile basis, KC jan). I am not sure where you're getting this "CQ didn't win" opinion from.

By your logic, you rate a WAFF trophy higher than a WC finalist. Sure, you made the WC finals, but you didn't win any "hardware", thus, the WAFF trophy holds more weight/prestige.

Comment

Did we do better in 2014 than 2016? We drew in both WC. We lost twice. We scored more in 2006 and had better possession. Until 2014 we never lost to Bosnia.

And so for CQ the bar of comparison is Branko and 2014? I think we should compare CQ to the teams and coaches of the same period. When it counted we lost in AC and didn't advance past round 1.

On the first paragraph is where our opinion differ.
                        We played vs Argentina a great game and so did we play also a great game against Spain and Portugal. The results of these games are not what matter to me. That loss vs Argentina and Spain and the way we played were for me far better achievement than the winning records of coaches prior to CQ!

Yes, I compare CQ vs Branco and Talebi, because you say CQ had 8 years, so that is why he brought us to two WCs, which implies Branco and Talebi would have done the same had they had 8 years. I beg to differ.

In any case, your assessment is based on winning statistics, mine is based on setting new standards. Thats were we differ. Its fine. We don’t have to agree!

Comment

Originally posted by KasraKhan View Post
                          O-ZoNe, can you please remind me, who was our coach for our best WC performance ever? (On a percentile basis, KC jan). I am not sure where you're getting this "CQ didn't win" opinion from.

By your logic, you rate a WAFF trophy higher than a WC finalist. Sure, you made the WC finals, but you didn't win any "hardware", thus, the WAFF trophy holds more weight/prestige.
                          Of course not. But declining WAFF participation with aim of securing a medal in AC and failing at that is a failure. You rail on Branko and praise CQ but at least Branko won a WAFF and a bronze in AC. Of course I don't prefer Branko over CQ but I also don't think CQ should ever come back to TM as his time is past and in my opinion was not a successful one.

Comment

On the first paragraph is where our opinion differ.
                            We played vs Argentina a great game and so did we play also a great game against Spain and Portugal. The results of these games are not what matter to me. That loss vs Argentina and Spain and the way we played were for me far better achievement than the winning records of coaches prior to CQ!

Yes, I compare CQ vs Branco and Talebi, because you say CQ had 8 years, so that is why he brought us to two WCs, which implies Branco and Talebi would have done the same had they had 8 years. I beg to differ.

In any case, your assessment is based on winning statistics, mine is based on setting new standards. Thats were we differ. Its fine. We don’t have to agree!
                            How was our game against Argentina great? In 2014 we set some of the wc lowest all time possession and offensive chances. Is football just defending? Since when?

In 2018 we played all 3 matches similar to 2014...we lacked any creativity up front during CQ era and teams figured us out. Look at how easily Asia's #1...a source of pride for CQ unraveled at AC.

Comment

How was our game against Argentina great? In 2014 we set some of the wc lowest all time possession and offensive chances. Is football just defending? Since when?

In 2018 we played all 3 matches similar to 2014...we lacked any creativity up front during CQ era and teams figured us out. Look at how easily Asia's #1...a source of pride for CQ unraveled at AC.

On your first paragraph, I think the way we see football is different, hence why we disagree.
                              Football is not just defending, neither did TM defend 90 mins. In fact we created more chances to score in second half than Argentina did. I regard that game great. You regard that game poor. Its fine. As I said we don't have to agree.

In 2018 we played the toughest WC group we ever had and in my opinion we did great. Again we don't have to agree.

Maybe you are right, maybe I am wrong! Maybe the more I think about it I change my opinion. But right now, I don't think I will.
                              Its OK to disagree.

Comment

You do realise that TM is not Brazil right? Just had to ask this question as it is not clear to me that you do...

Yes by Asian and Iranian standards we played a great game against World Cup finalists Argentina with a Messi who was by far the best player in the world back then and who only managed to score a last minute goal (due to Nekounam's mistake). With a bit more luck we could've drawn or even beaten Argentina as we should've been rewarded a penalty and had Nekounam just kept his head cool instead of trying to dribble right in the middle of the field, we may have beaten them, regardless it was a close game whereas normally any top Asian side would've been trashed by Messis's Argentina of 2014.

Regarding Branco, don't even get me started, the man did not even know how to manage a team, and losing to Mexico 3-1 and Portugal 2-0 and drawing a weak Angola 1-1 is not nearly as good as beating Morocco, drawing Portugal and narrowly losing to Spain, where also in that game with a little bit of luck we could've drawn or beaten Spain.

Comment

Working...
                                X