The Erasure of Mesut Ozil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if this belongs to the general forum or here. Mods, please move as appropriate.

It seems like China is now dictating what people in other countries are allowed to say or think!! And EPL, NBA, and various other entities from the "free world" are falling in line. Regardless of what you think of Ozil as a footballer (I think he was one of the best AM of his generation), this should outrage everyone.

================================================== =======

LONDON — Everything started with a tweet. Mesut Özil knew the risks, in December last year, when he decided to offer a startling, public denunciation both of China’s treatment of the Uighurs, a largely Muslim minority in the region of Xinjiang, and the complicit silence of the international community.

Friends and advisers had warned Özil, the Arsenal midfielder, that there would be consequences. He would have to write off China as a market. His six million followers on Weibo, the country’s largest social network, would disappear. His fan club there — with as many as 50,000 signed-up members — would go, too. He would never play in China. He might become too toxic even for any club with Chinese owners, or sponsors eager to do business there.
    Özil knew this was not fearmongering. He was aware of China’s furious response — both institutionally and organically — to a tweet by Daryl Morey, the general manager of the N.B.A.’s Houston Rockets, only a few weeks earlier. Yet Özil was adamant. He had been growing increasingly outraged by the situation in Xinjiang for months, watching documentaries, consuming news reports. He believed it was his duty, he told his advisers, not so much to highlight the issue but to pressure Muslim-majority nations — including Turkey, whose president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, had served as best man at Özil’s wedding — to intercede.
    continued here...
    .https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/26/sports/soccer/mesut-ozil-arsenal-china.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab
    Sign this petition to show opposition to US/UK support for the Rajavi/MKO cult

https://chng.it/ZsSzczNC2Z

Özil is a pretty ardent pan-turkish nationalist.

I do apologise if I can't shed many tears for him.

Comment

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
      Özil is a pretty ardent pan-turkish nationalist.

I do apologise if I can't shed many tears for him.
      This is not about shedding a tear for Ozil. It is about what China can do to citizens of other countries by throwing around its economic power. It is also about western entities dropping all pretenses and keeping quite for a few extra bucks in their pockets.
      Sign this petition to show opposition to US/UK support for the Rajavi/MKO cult

https://chng.it/ZsSzczNC2Z

Comment

Ozil posted that tweet on December 13th of 2019, two days later he was starting for Arsenal in a 3-0 loss to Manchester City. He started in every single Arsenal game—barring one against Everton—from late December until the lockdown in early March (1 goal, 1 assist). When football resumed he had been dropped. He and his agent have since been on a PR blitz to try to make his dropping look nefarious and political, but it doesn’t add up. He was dropped because he doesn’t listen to the coach and because he doesn’t offer much offensively—yes, I said offensively. Football fans have short memories, they don’t remember that Arsenal have had the very same problems that they are having now when Ozil was starting for them every week. He’s not been the same since his big injury in Madrid, he tried to adapt his game to rely more on disguised passes which worked for a while during the Wenger period, but ultimately it was a failure. His talent does not match his reputation, and especially not his contract. He was told he wouldn’t have a place in the side in the summer and he should have tried to secure a move to another club then, but he wasn’t concerned with playing football because he had a contract worth 350K a week running for one more year and he didn’t want to leave London. Arteta was left with a huge squad and a massive financial burden and had to make some cuts; on top everything written above, Ozil’s add-ons and bonuses weren’t helping his case. Overall, sorry, but this is an overrated self-interested footballer larping as a humanitarian when it suits him. His agent should be embarrassed because he has really let him down and I think that is why he is lashing out at Arteta in the media. Having watched Ozil wear the red and white sleeves I never thought for a second he was even better than Fabregas, not even during his August-January run when he was rocking up assists with Giroud. As for the NYT I have no interest in what they have to say about football, they don’t even get the subjects in their job description right.

Comment

Also he has been cheering on the ROA on twitter in the war v Armenia and his best man at his wedding was Erdogan lol.

Comment

Usual nonsense propaganda. As if China cares what some pan-Turk athlete has to say, gimme a break. Erdogan and his Turkey are doing business with China like there is no tomorrow.

Ozil is no longer a part of Arsenal's team because he has been playing like crap for a long time, he needs to step up his game for that salary that he is getting.

Comment

LOL he thinks he's German.
              I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Working...
              X