Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody is expecting him to flip a game on his head but at the very least he needs to be a more dynamic forward. Need to acknowledge a poor performance when you see it just as much as a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by TM4LIFE View Post
      Nobody is expecting him to flip a game on his head but at the very least he needs to be a more dynamic forward. Need to acknowledge a poor performance when you see it just as much as a good one.
      so more dynamic like matches vs lyon,benfica,brugge(Home), fenerbahce, villareal etc?

I get your point. Since he returns from this illness in general he doesnt seem super high energy and looks off a pace in terms of speed. His goals at weekend were also due to team finally being able to serve him better more than him doing something crazy on his own. Obviously that was not as possible tonight with much stronger team.

And I also dont buy the idea that these 2 games back from injury are somehow defining for a future transfer. He has such a long record and amazing goal scoring efficiency for zenit (say what you want about RPL, if it was so easy many forwards would put up his numbers, they dont). IF somebody wants evidence of his quality there is plenty. Sorloth with no CL exploits, a total failure at Crystal Palace (zero goals) and Gent (didnt want to use buy option or even extend loan) after ONE good season in TURKEY (an even lower level than RPL) goes to leipzig for 20+ mil without fuss. But for azmoun if he doesnt score brace vs dortmund after coming off 5 weeks of not even running then he is at risk for never being able to leave russia lol.

Comment

Originally posted by inarsenewetrust View Post
        so more dynamic like matches vs lyon,benfica,brugge(Home), etc?

I get your point. Since he returns from this illness in general he doesnt seem super high energy and looks off a pace in terms of speed. His goals in midweek were also due to team finally being able to serve him better more than him doing something crazy on his own. Obviously that was not as possible tonight.
        Look i am not saying he has never played well in the CL. I have watched nearly every single one of his games and praised him when he has looked good.

Probably ~70% of the time its pretty obvious that his game needs something extra when he's up against more quality opposition. If he is constantly in the right positions and his teammates have poor quality balls then yes you can't fault him. But if his runs are late, he's in the wrong spot when the ball is sent in dangerous space, he takes poor touches or has delayed reactions, then its the strikers fault. We saw it when he came on against Lazio, against Brugge away, and today in this game. Injuries shouldn't make you forget how to play your position.

Comment

Originally posted by TM4LIFE View Post
          Look i am not saying he has never played well in the CL. I have watched nearly every single one of his games and praised him when he has looked good.
          Probably ~70% of the time its pretty obvious that his game needs something extra when he's up against more quality opposition. If he is constantly in the right positions and his teammates have poor quality balls then yes you can't fault him. But if his runs are late, he's in the wrong spot when the ball is sent in dangerous space, he takes poor touches or has delayed reactions, then its the strikers fault. We saw it when he came on against Lazio, against Brugge away, and today in this game. Injuries shouldn't make you forget how to play your position.
          so the 3 games that he returned from long lay off we will use to judge him mainly (vs Lazio lol when he was rushed back with 1 training session after 5 weeks and had 5 min sub appearance)...That to me is not a fair metric. Long layoffs do definitely impact your speed, timing, and quality of your touch. That is normal.

He definitely does not look at his fitness and sharpness level pre illness.

Comment

In many ways Zenit is the perfect spot for Sardar.

It's slow, not super demanding, and the level of competition will allow him to probably go down as a top ten striker in the history of the league. plus the messed up UEFA seeding awards groups stage spots to the top teams of this Potato farmer league. So he will get to play in European competition. Keeps him shape for Team Melli.

He isn't going to end up being a world class striker like most of us hoped he would, but will remain one of the best Asian strikers, and a decent one by European/South American standards.

Not a guy you can count on as a game changer, but a guy who can score when given decent service.

Comment

Having flashbacks to his volleyball days in the first shot =)

Comment

Originally posted by The View Post
                In many ways Zenit is the perfect spot for Sardar.
                It's slow, not super demanding, and the level of competition will allow him to probably go down as a top ten striker in the history of the league. plus the messed up UEFA seeding awards groups stage spots to the top teams of this Potato farmer league. So he will get to play in European competition. Keeps him shape for Team Melli.
                He isn't going to end up being a world class striker like most of us hoped he would, but will remain one of the best Asian strikers, and a decent one by European/South American standards.
                Not a guy you can count on as a game changer, but a guy who can score when given decent service.
                I think its clear hes better or on the level of many forwards who are afforded big roles in strong top 4 league clubs. With proper coach/team combo he could definitely be as you say a very solid EU level forward.

Sure he is not on lewandowski,haaland,lautaro,werner,etc. But if you below that level I would say azmoun is superior/similar level to likes of Sorloth, Poulsen, Shick, morata, etc. With a proper coach that can harness his clearly natural instincts, physical traits, etc he could do major damage when served right.

Comment

I think its clear hes better or on the level of many forwards who are afforded big roles in strong top 4 league clubs. With proper coach/team combo he could definitely be as you say a very solid EU level forward.

Sure he is not on lewandowski,haaland,lautaro,werner,etc. But if you below that level I would say azmoun is superior/similar level to likes of Sorloth, Poulsen, Shick, morata, etc. With a proper coach that can harness his clearly natural instincts, physical traits, etc he could do major damage when served right.
                  The bold is the key. In RPL with poor defending, his service level is great and he gets a hat trick. With any UCL match against top league teams, the defense easily breaks up the weak RPL attacks/service, and he's left frustrated.

Comment

To me it's clear Azmoun has stagnated a bit at Zenit. I know people will disagree with me, but a lot of times when you are on a top team in an average league like the RPL, you get quite complacent.

Compare that to ARJ who has been training his ass off at Brighton and IMO, has improved his quickness, touch, and speed of play.

Comment

We all hope he gets a suitor this winter, but I don't see it happening before the summer and he will only have 1 year left on his contract then so should be affordable(15-20m). Just hope he doesn't go for mid-table prem.

Comment

@Iranianarsenal11 , I get where you are coming from but look at his performances now compared to where he was two years ago. After the World Cup he seemed to have lost all confidence and was stuck at Rubin Kazan. He has come a long way in a short time, he was top scorer in his first full season at Zenit and is currently the top scorer this season (even with missing a month of action). That is a top feat, whether we respect the quality of the Russian League or not.

The biggest respect to Azmoun’s qualities is that two of the best man managers - I mean those who work well and improve a player- in Klopp and Nuno have both wanted to work with him. Now that is saying something.

Comment

Originally posted by Iranianarsenal11 View Post
                          To me it's clear Azmoun has stagnated a bit at Zenit. I know people will disagree with me, but a lot of times when you are on a top team in an average league like the RPL, you get quite complacent.

Compare that to ARJ who has been training his ass off at Brighton and IMO, has improved his quickness, touch, and speed of play.
                          compare that to ARJ, who is so out of regular playing time that he gets 2 games once every year and then picks up injury immediately. LOL. Big use for TM.

Comment

That's where we disagree. I don't think it's clear that he has the consistent hunger or quickness required for a title contender team of a big 4 league (he'd however be starter for mid-table teams), and not on the level of someone like Morata or Poulsen. Of course these comparisons are hard to quantify since the league and teams are different, so it's more of an "eye-test".

Comment

compare that to ARJ, who is so out of regular playing time that he gets 2 games once every year and then picks up injury immediately. LOL. Big use for TM.
                              Fighting relegation in the prem beats anything else don't you know?

Comment

Match highlights.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...210000192.html

Comment

Working...
                                X