The Iranian Football Memory Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trip(s) down memory lane , love it!

My first full tournament watching Team Melli was AC'96 : )

Has anyone got a version of the Doc. on our WC2018, their was a very very nice one on YT, but its gone.
    Iran deserves better, TM deserves better.
    O.G from '97 & still here

Comment

Thanks for the nice thread Perspolis jan.

The first TM match in my memory goes back to our games against Bangladesh and Sri lanka I think in 1995, as part of AFC 1996 qualifying. We won the games 7-0 and 8-0 if I recall correctly. The night that we installed channel 3 on our TV (it had just started broadcasting) was one of my most memorable childhood moments, I was really happy that from then I could watch football matches from around the world every day.
      Those few years were the golden years to watch Iranian football. So many memorable matches. I remember the afternoon when we scored 17 on Maldives and broke the Guinness record. The happy cries after our 6-2 win and 4-2 against Korea and China. The shattering night of Semi-final match against Saudi in 1996 getting robbed by the Egyptian ref. The unbelievable Saturday noon going down 2-0 against Australia and the whole country losing hope and suddenly watching the 6 minute magic coming back to 2-2 and qualifying for France. I still remember running around our house in ecstasy and my father leaving the house on his car in the final 10 minutes of the game because he was too nervous to watch the ending. The game against Yugoslavia and how happy us and our neighbors where at half time because we didn't expect such a good performance, only to be disappointed later by Nakisa's positioning mistake. The game against South Korea in 2000, Bagheri's magic goal and how we were gobsmacked on why Ali Daei chose the most difficult way to clear the ball in the 90th minute. The unusual loss against Bahrain in 2001, to date believed to be political by many people, and...

I grew up with TM. It was really a passion and still is no matter in which country I lived or in what stage of life I was.

By the way varzesh3 did a compilation of Iran's most memorable 20 goals, It is a nice watch.

https://www.aparat.com/v/La3Nb/%D8%A...B1%D8%A7%D9%86
      Last edited by _Navid_; 04-21-2020, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
        Thanks for the nice thread Perspolis jan.

The first TM match in my memory goes back to our games against Bangladesh and Sri lanka I think in 1995, as part of AFC 1996 qualifying. We won the games 7-0 and 8-0 if I recall correctly. The night that we installed channel 3 on our TV (it had just started broadcasting) was one of my most memorable childhood moments, I was really happy that from then I could watch football matches from around the world every day.
        Those few years were the golden years to watch Iranian football. So many memorable matches. I remember the afternoon when we scored 17 on Maldives and broke the Guinness record. The happy cries after our 6-2 win and 4-2 against Korea and China. The shattering night of Semi-final match against Saudi in 1996 getting robbed by the Egyptian ref. The unbelievable Saturday noon going down 2-0 against Australia and the whole country losing hope and suddenly watching the 6 minute magic coming back to 2-2 and qualifying for France. I still remember running around our house in Ecstasy and my father leaving the house on his car in the final 10 minutes of the game because he was too nervous to watch the ending. The game against Yugoslavia and how happy us and our neighbors where because we didn't expect such a good performance, only to be disappointed by Nakisa's positioning mistake. The game against South Korea in 2000, Bagheri's magic goal and how we were gobsmacked on why Ali Daei chose the most difficult way to clear the ball in the 90th minute. The unusual loss against Bahrain in 2001, to date believed to be political by many people, and...

I grew up with TM. It was really a passion and still is no matter in which country I lived or in what stage of life I was.

By the way varzesh3 did a compilation of Iran's most memorable 20 goals, It is a nice watch.

https://www.aparat.com/v/La3Nb/%D8%A...B1%D8%A7%D9%86
        Good list although I'd disagree with some of the picks. It looks like the criteria was importance which is why I disagree with some of them. For example Taremi's goal against Uzbekistan since we were already 1-0 up and would have qualified even without his goal. Or Estili's goal since it didn't clinch the match for us and instead Mahdavikia's goal should have been included.

My first memory of TM is from the 1984 Asian Championship which is essentially newspaper clippings. The first game I actually saw was highlights of a game in the Daheyeh Fajr Tournament in 1986. It was a crushing win so I wanna say it was against Syrian Club Al Fotouwa that we won 5-0. What I mostly remember about it was Mohammadkhani trying to dribble around the keeper after a 1v1 but the keeper somehow smothered the attempt.
        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
          I hated this entire World Cup qualification. Our midfield and forward line was stacked but our defense (except for maybe Peyrovani and Golmohammadi) was really bad. Blazevic failed as a manager. Best generation to not make a World Cup.
          this 2002WC could have improved our football greatly. it was the world cup of surprises and some of our stars could have been hired by european clubs (Karimi, Nikbakht..). Also at that time, it was enough for our player to do one fancy thing here and there and Euro clubs would have rushed on them. Now successful games against Argentina, Spain or Portugal aren't enough

Comment

October 11, 2011. Iran vs Bahrain WCQ in Tehran.

This game was so satisfying to watch as a way to let out all the frustration that Bahrain had caused 10 years prior.

They received a very fast red card and as this was one of Quieroz's first competitive games at the helm, he decided to go for the kill.

Teimourian scored our 4th goal with a rocket of a shot

Last edited by perspolis#1; 04-21-2020, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
              Good list although I'd disagree with some of the picks. It looks like the criteria was importance which is why I disagree with some of them. For example Taremi's goal against Uzbekistan since we were already 1-0 up and would have qualified even without his goal. Or Estili's goal since it didn't clinch the match for us and instead Mahdavikia's goal should have been included.

My first memory of TM is from the 1984 Asian Championship which is essentially newspaper clippings. The first game I actually saw was highlights of a game in the Daheyeh Fajr Tournament in 1986. It was a crushing win so I wanna say it was against Syrian Club Al Fotouwa that we won 5-0. What I mostly remember about it was Mohammadkhani trying to dribble around the keeper after a 1v1 but the keeper somehow smothered the attempt.
              I agree with you. Here is how they picked the goals and their reasoning:

https://www.varzesh3.com/news/167837...86%DB%8C%D8%AF

Comment

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
                I agree with you. Here is how they picked the goals and their reasoning:
                https://www.varzesh3.com/news/167837...86%DB%8C%D8%AF
                Not very sound reasoning. Marfavi's goal that they show is actually his first goal, not the game winner, but they describe it as if it was the second goal. Roshan's goal against Poland did nothing, we lost anyway and we had clinched a quarterfinal spot before the game even started. To me, if they wanted to give an Olympic goal the nod, they should have given Ghelichkhani's against the Soviet Union in the quarterfinals as that actually gave us hope of getting the game back (it made it 2-1). For Ghayeghran's goal against South Korea they actually name him the captain while in fact it was Panjali. If you want to include Daei in 1996, why not pick his long range shot against South Korea? And no mention of any Karimi goals in 2004 against the Koreans?
                I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post

This game was so satisfying to watch as a way to let out all the frustration that Bahrain had caused 10 years prior.

They received a very fast red card and as this was one of Quieroz's first competitive games at the helm, he decided to go for the kill.

I remember this one like it was yesterday - I was cutting class in high school and drove over to my local chelo kababi to watch this game and was one of my all time favorite matches for the reasons you mentioned of us giving Bahrain a nice present for their years of agony they caused us. Was worth every second of the kotak I was subject to later from my dad when he found out I skipped class
                  Team Meli Iran
                  Perspolis FC
                  Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

I was at work for this one and remember following PFDC's thread for updates.

Comment

One of my favorite TM matches. Don't let the scoreline fool you, I've never seen Iran dominate a rival like they did this match. Complete control.

Sardar's goal is also so under-rated. One-touch, outside of the foot, from that angle. Beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by KasraKhan View Post
                        One of my favorite TM matches. Don't let the scoreline fool you, I've never seen Iran dominate a rival like they did this match. Complete control.

Sardar's goal is also so under-rated. One-touch, outside of the foot, from that angle. Beautiful.

On a side note look at the view of the stadium at 0:06. Azadi is so intimidating.

Comment

Originally posted by KasraKhan View Post

Phenomenal game. That entire qualification run was amazing. I don't think I was stressed at all except for maybe the first game versus Qatar. We just played so well and made so few mistakes.
                          All came apart in that stupid Japan game in AC 2019

Comment

On a side note look at the view of the stadium at 0:06. Azadi is so intimidating.
                            The game was held on the eve of Tasua and Ashura as well.
                            Everyone was wearing black in the stadium and chanting for Imam Hussein.
                            I'm sure that didn't help with the Korean nerves.
                            Our tactical setup was incredible and if I remember correctly South Korea did not register a single shot on goal.
                            CQ and the team kept celebrations modest as well.

We did get fined for it(as AFC and FIFA are quick to do for us). Before the game I knew we were going to see something special because the atmosphere in the stadium was what makes Azadi stadium a nightmare for opponents

You can see more of that here at 26:56
                            The game here is without commentary and you can hear the atmosphere

Goal is at 52:40. The roar was incredible

Son Heung Min got shut down that night
                            Last edited by perspolis#1; 04-21-2020, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I was at work for this one and remember following PFDC's thread for updates.
                              I have the faintest recollection that I was upset because Global was smacktalking before the game and had left us before you properly addressed his incorset points

Comment

I have the faintest recollection that I was upset because Global was smacktalking before the game and had left us before you properly addressed his incorset points
                                I believe he even posted footage of our 2001 loss to them. Good thing we respectfully inserted 6 balls up his rear end. I hear he's still looking for a proctologist capable of removing them.

Comment

Working...
                                X