The Iranian Football Memory Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Iranian Football Memory Thread

I assume everyone else here is having as many withdrawal symptoms from Team Melli and football in general. Let's relive some amazing Team Melli and Iranian football moments. It can be any moment from Iranian football, any time, any game. As long as it has meaning for you. Share your memories and stories!

The first real game I ever followed for Iran. I had no idea what the implications were but I celebrated as my family celebrated. After learning about the scary prospect of Intercontinental qualifiers, how that Australian prankster tore our net, how we were in a hostile stadium, it just became more amazing a moment.

As an Iranian born in the US, this game really tore at me especially since I was a kid. As the game went on I cheered more for Iran and was happy to see us win. So much racket about this game off the pitch, politics, etc. I was happy to see that it was a day for Iranians to celebrate.

I've had the pleasure to meet players who played in this era and in these games like Ali Daei, Javad Zarrincheh, and Karim Bagheri. They are as genuine as possible.

This was the first time I followed World cup qualifying consciously, I woke up that morning to see 4 of my dad's friends had driven over an hour from their homes to watch the game. I listened to Khiabani's descriptions of prior games vs Saudi Arabia and knew that this was a real rival and opponent. Ali Daei of course is a tank and a legend.

Iran vs Saudi Arabia 2002 WCQ in Tehran

Last edited by perspolis#1; 04-20-2020, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Mahdavikia's 2nd goal against China is forever carved into my memory. I don't know why, but I was very nervous that Iran would lose that match. I guess my dumb 9 year old brain didn't know China sucks at football.

He basically became my favourite player because if it.

Sorry about the crappy music, it's the only decent clip I could find of it.

Comment

Originally posted by The View Post
        Mahdavikia's 2nd goal against China is forever carved into my memory. I don't know why, but I was very nervous that Iran would lose that match. I guess my dumb 9 year old brain didn't know China sucks at football.

Thats a cannon!

Mahdavikia was a very good Right back and Right midfielder. An amazing ability to cut in and join the attack.

Comment

Iran - Yugoslavia 98.

The first time I watched TM live on TV.

This was the best TM every played and maybe ever has (except for the 2nd half versus Argentina).

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post
            This was the first time I followed World cup qualifying consciously, I woke up that morning to see 4 of my dad's friends had driven over an hour from their homes to watch the game. I listened to Khiabani's descriptions of prior games vs Saudi Arabia and knew that this was a real rival and opponent. Ali Daei of course is a tank and a legend.
            Iran vs Saudi Arabia 2002 WCQ in Tehran
            I hated this entire World Cup qualification. Our midfield and forward line was stacked but our defense (except for maybe Peyrovani and Golmohammadi) was really bad. Blazevic failed as a manager. Best generation to not make a World Cup.
            Last edited by Nokhodi; 04-20-2020, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
              I hated this entire World Cup qualification. Our midfield and forward line was staked but our defense (except for maybe Peyrovani and Golmohammadi) was really bad. Blazevic failed as a manager. Best generation to not make a World Cup.
              Yeah it was an unfortunate cycle. We dropped crucial points to Thailand and to Bahrain(although the Manama game always was suspect to me).

Then we cruised vs UAE in the playoff to just lose the playoff to Ireland by a 1 goal margin. Saudi Arabia's display at the world cup that year proved that we did Asia a disservice by not qualifying

Comment

Originally posted by The View Post

What made that game somewhat intense was the hype about how China had never lost in that specific stadium. On top of that, China won the first half 1-0, scoring on a PK. Start of the second half, they scored a 2nd goal. It was impressive that in almost 20 minutes Iran scored 4 goals. The Chinese players seemed gassed out by the 60th minute.

Comment

Yeah it was an unfortunate cycle. We dropped crucial points to Thailand and to Bahrain(although the Manama game always was suspect to me).

Then we cruised vs UAE in the playoff to just lose the playoff to Ireland by a 1 goal margin. Saudi Arabia's display at the world cup that year proved that we did Asia a disservice by not qualifying
                  Ali Karimi could have made the difference in Ireland match, actually he should have scored in Dublin.. and of course Rezaeis blunder which led to the penalty...

in a nutshell we had the potential to qualify but we were just unlucky in Ireland match.. I really don't know what happened with Bahrain match ( we always have had problems with them in the past even though they are not as strong as other teams...)

Comment

Guys I’ve watched many great documentaries in the past on Iran vs USA but this one is by far the best:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WEOOgTuRiQY

Enjoy!
                    Team Meli Iran
                    Perspolis FC
                    Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post
                        Guys I’ve watched many great documentaries in the past on Iran vs USA but this one is by far the best:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WEOOgTuRiQY

Enjoy!
                        Just watched it! Great documentary.

Mehrdad Masoudi did an amazing thing by keeping everything under control.

Comment

Just watched it! Great documentary.

Mehrdad Masoudi did an amazing thing by keeping everything under control.
                          Indeed, I didn’t know who this guy was but he seemed to be the MVP of that day. And Mahdavikia of course
                          Team Meli Iran
                          Perspolis FC
                          Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

WCQ for 2006 vs Japan in Tehran.

What a game this was. The 5th of Farvardin 1384 or March 25, 2005.

The previous summer I visited Iran for 2 weeks and had a PS1 where I played Winning Eleven/PES over FIFA. I thought it was funny that the Iranian names were all different in the game and randomized. What was interesting was the respect that they gave us in game with high ratings compared to anything the EA Sports FIFA games gives us. They especially respected Karimi(Kaquetz), Hashemian(Hashenian), Daei(Dahoo/Dalei) who had very high overall points given to them. This game was a bootleg from Japan with original Japanese commentary that I bought from a pasaj in Tehran.

Back then Japan had some excellent players like Shunsuke Nakamura, Keiji Tamada, and Hidetoshi Nakata.

The stadium was packed with 120,000 people. My fondest memory is that with every goal, the crowd reaction and Ferdosipour's reaction was so loud that IRIB's microphones could not handle it.

Edit of the now discontinued program Football Asia:

Japanese version:

Ferdosipour/IRIB version:

Last edited by perspolis#1; 04-20-2020, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I would say two Iran-Korea clashes back in 1996 and 2004... amazing match, what a briiliant performance from our boys...

IRAN vs. South Korea, AFC ASIAN CUP 1996, what a game, what a Ali Daei!

https://youtu.be/BQtAJo2NQkU

and IRAN vs. South Korea, AFC ASIAN CUP 2004: what a game, what a Ali Karimi!

https://youtu.be/xYtnZHymjhw

Comment

Working...
                              X