The Chavar Soccer Match and Massacre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Chavar Soccer Match and Massacre

This was the first I had read about it and it's a shame that nothing has been done to honor the victims (other than by the locals).
    On Bahman the 23rd 1986, in Chavar Ilam, to celebrate the 8th anniversary of the revolution, a Chavar selection faced off against an Ilam youth selection. In the second half as the Ilam youth team was taking a corner kick, the game was interrupted by aroghi planes and subsequently bombs, one of which landed near Chavar's goal. As a result 9 players, the ref and 5 spectators were killed by aroghi forces. Looking at their photos, some of them are just kids. There have been promises of building a monument to commemorate the massacre but so far it has not happened. At least our fans haven't forgotten it.
    May the Iranians killed in this attack rest in peace.

There is a 5 minute video in the link below regarding the event with some commentary from Abedzadeh. He actually makes a very good suggestion that every year a match should take place on the anniversary on that same field to honor the victims. Watching the footage the sound of jets and bombs exploding made my hair stand on end even after all these years. You cannot understand it unless you were there.

http://ilam.irib.ir/-/%D9%88%D8%A7%D...88%D8%A7%D8%B1

I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Thank you for reminding us, KC. RIP.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Comment

Working...
    X