Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hashemian Interview with Spox.com (German sport website)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hashemian Interview with Spox.com (German sport website)

https://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussba...-iran-itw.html

automatic Englisch translation:

Part 1:

Vahid, your fondness for football was once discovered on the streets of Tehran. How did that go down?

Vahid Hashemian: We just played a lot on the street. During the school holidays I also regularly went to different football schools. There we played on grass pitches, which of course was a completely different feeling.

What was the significance of football in your hometown at that time?

Hashemian: There are some sports in Iran where the country regularly wins awards, such as wrestling or Taekwondo. But the favorite sport of the people is still football, people are crazy about it. When a big derby is coming up, the streets are like empty because everybody watches this game.

In your childhood, was there a club that you particularly adored?

Hashemian: My favorite teams in the past were actually Argentina and Germany. When the two nations played against each other in the 1990 World Cup final, it was very difficult for me. At that time it was not easy to watch matches in front of the TV, but I can still remember that match very well.

Which footballers did you look up to as a child or teenager?

Hashemian: Diego Maradona used to be my favorite player. I also liked Lothar Matthäus, Marco van Basten and Gary Lineker.

When did you first play in a club yourself?

Hashemian: I first took part in an organized football tournament when I was 15 or 16 years old - in five-on-five mode. After that a man approached me and asked if I would like to play in a club. He then invited me to train with an Iranian U17 team. That's how my club career started with Fath Tehran.

In summer 1999 you came to Germany. How big was the change?

Hashemian: I was used to a very familiar life from Iran, then I moved to Germany all by myself - to a new country with a new culture and a new language. I needed some time to get used to it. But that is probably quite normal.

Were there any unpleasant experiences in the beginning?

Hashemian: Sporty I had some bad luck in the beginning. In the training camp with HSV I broke my nose and a pulled stomach muscle put me out of action for six months. That made it even harder to start.

What about your language skills?

Hashemian: The German language was very difficult to learn. There are no articles in our language, so I sat there at that time and just thought: Phew, articles. While learning German I quickly went crazy. But I tried to make progress by communicating with the other players.

What memories do you have of your first training session in Hamburg?

Hashemian: I still remember that we trained on the old training ground in Norderstedt. I don't remember exactly what the main focus of training was, but header training was definitely part of it.

Which brings us to your nickname: Why helicopters?

Hashemian: I could already jump and head well in Iran. At HSV Frank Pagelsdorf always praised me for my ability to jump from a standing position during the header training. He said I was like a helicopter. Hence the nickname.

You played together with Niko Kovac. What made him stand out?

Hashemian: Niko came to HSV from Leverkusen exactly at the time when I moved to Hamburg. He was a gentleman with a very self-confident manner. He was also incredibly clever. He could read and steer the game.

What was the greatest lesson you learned at HSV?

Hashemian: The whole time at HSV was a learning process for me. There I got to know the German culture, the German language and German football. Hamburg played an important role in my development. But the then president of VfL Bochum, Werner Altegoer, convinced me to sign there.

After only 17 compulsory matches and one goal in two years with HSV, you established yourself as a Bundesliga player in Bochum.

Hashemian: In my early days we weren't exactly successful under coach Bernhard Dietz. Then came Peter Neururer, under whom I became a regular player.

What made him special?

Hashemian: Sometimes you need a coach who is not only technically good but also human. Peter always supported me and motivated me excellently. Players are not machines. Everyone needs someone who has a feeling for certain situations. And he had that feeling.

In what way did that manifest itself?

Hashemian: An anecdote: As I said, I was a regular player and therefore sure to be in the starting eleven in the next game. But then I sat on the bench and was disappointed and angry. In the next training session I hardly ran, had no motivation. Then he sent me into the box. On the way home I already wondered what the consequences would be.

How did it go on?

Hashemian: In the next training I was the first one on the spot and Peter ordered me into the trainer's cabin. I was worried about being suspended, but Peter just told me that my behaviour hadn't been okay and that I should train now. I knew myself that I had done everything wrong. I learned from that.

After scoring 16 goals in 32 Bundesliga games for VfL, you switched to FC Bayern in summer 2005. How did that come about?

Hashemian: I had several offers at that time, including from Schalke and from abroad. But when the offer from FC Bayern came, I knew what to do. Already when I came to Germany, it was my dream to play for FC Bayern. In such a club there was and is almost always a world team on the pitch.

How did you perceive coach Felix Magath?

Hashemian: He used to be a great player and then a successful coach with a special character. He also wanted to bring me to Stuttgart before I went to Munich.

Vahid Hashemian about Felix Magath: "I wasn't afraid of him, but of his training sessions".

Which four-eye-conversation with Magath did you especially remember?

Hashemian: Magath was someone who talked little with the players but put more emphasis on training. If it was up to him, the players had to go to the limit and sometimes even beyond. You were not allowed to have a barrier in your head.

How do you rate his training methodology?

Hashemian: His methods were very hard. Accordingly, I was quite fit in that one year with FC Bayern. I didn't play much in the club, but at that time I scored the most important goals of my career for the Iranian national team. That was no coincidence.

What made his units stand out?

Hashemian: Besides the footballing aspects like test matches we worked a lot with medicine balls. He also did extraordinary things with us like mountain hikes.

Were the players afraid of Magath?

Hashemian: I wasn't afraid of him, but of his training sessions (laughs). Seriously: I never saw him freaking out or being restless.

Looking back, how do you rate your time at FC Bayern?

Hashemian: I am very proud that I was with FC Bayern. And I worked there with good people. I always say: You have to try it. You win or lose, but if you don't try, you lose.

Part 2:

After one year you moved to Hannover in summer 2005.

Articles and videos on the topic
    Hannes Wolf in an interview: "I didn't believe that I could have helped BVB"
    Selected Bundesliga matches live on DAZN. Get your free month now!
    Hashemian: Hannover 96 is a traditional club that was in a start-up phase at the time. I have experienced different coaches there, all in all it was a good time.

How did you experience Per Mertesacker?

Hashemian: He was a young player, but he was full of self-confidence. He was a really good central defender. Although he was young, he already wore the captain's armband at Hannover. It was already clear at that time that he would become a great player.

What memories do you have of Robert Enke?

Hashemian: Robert Enke was a top man and a strong goalkeeper. I never suspected that he would have to fight with depressions. He was always self-confident, seemed confident and motivated others.

How did you hear about his death?

Hashemian: When I heard about it, I couldn't believe it. I just thought: This can, this can't be true. But unfortunately it happened. At that time I was with VfL Bochum and we had a test match during the week. A player came into the dressing room and said something about Robert Enke. I didn't understand that at all and had to ask again. When I understood it, it was a very sad moment.

Did that do anything to you or your way of thinking?

Hashemian: To be a soccer pro is not easy. Nowadays every family feels that they want to turn their children into professionals and therefore puts a lot of pressure on them. And this pressure follows you the whole career. Players and coaches are just people, too - and at some point you can't withstand this pressure anymore.

In 2012 you will have ended your career. Did you know beforehand that you wanted to become a coach?

Hashemian: Already as a player I wanted to become a coach. Already during my active time I made notes after the training sessions. I even still have some documents from my time at HSV at home.

Your first coaching position was with SV Halstenbek-Rellingen in Hamburg.

Hashemian: In 2008, I was a player, but at the same time I got my B-coach license. In 2010/2011 I got the A-license, before I ended my active career in 2012. After I passed the entrance examination for football teachers at the DFB, I was also an individual coach and subsequently became an U17 co-trainer. It was all a process.

Vahid Hashemian: "My goal is to become a coach in the Bundesliga
    Is there an anecdote about the time in the fifth league? That must have been quite an adjustment for you.

Hashemian: I was a Bundesliga professional, played for a top club and then started as a coach in the upper league. I wanted to approach this very disciplined, wanted every player to come to training as a matter of course. Then I realized that this was not the case. It was a bit difficult for me to understand that many players have to work and therefore can't participate in training.

On your way to becoming a football teacher you had the opportunity to visit Pep Guardiola.

Hashemian: If you want to become a soccer teacher, you have to do an internship at a professional club. The DFL offered the choice of either finding a club yourself or having one made available. I contacted Hermann Gerland and got permission to watch FC Bayern's training sessions for five weeks and to observe the coaching philosophy of Pep Guardiola. Pep came to the training sessions every day and had a precise plan which he carried out. I am grateful that I was allowed to have this experience. It was a great experience.

Did you have the chance to talk to him in private?

Hashemian: Unfortunately not. Hermann Gerland was my contact person. I once tried to talk with pizzazz, but unfortunately that didn't work out. Nevertheless it was a great experience to be allowed to watch the - partly secret - training sessions.

In the meantime you are co-coach of the Iranian national team. How would you describe your job?

Hashemian: It is different with the national team than with the club. We have to observe the players and their development and pay close attention to their fitness. You don't have much time to study tactical subtleties. The head coach has a lot of time to analyse opponents, but it's not possible to work really intensively with your own team. So you have a lot of responsibility in this short time.

What goals do you have for the coming years?

Hashemian: My goal is to become a coach in the Bundesliga. I also want to become Iranian national coach one day. For that I give everything.

Comment

No offense but all I hear in his case is he hold a pro licence and he is sitting on this for years. Vahid was an underrated player but I am afarid to say he is the same thing as a coach.
      He is waiting for Bundesliga job, I highly doubt it ever happen. He has to start from somewhere.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Iran_19 View Post
        No offense but all I hear in his case is he hold a pro licence and he is sitting on this for years. Vahid was in underrated player but I am afarid to say he is the same thing as a coach.
        He is waiting for Bundesliga job, I highly doubt it ever happen. He has to start from somewhere.

He's very book smart. I can personally say that UEFA licences are very difficult and demanding. However, they are still coaching courses at the end of the day. You need to actually be good in practice in the real world. I hope Vahid, Karim, Dragan and the other staff members work together for the next qualifiers, unlike Wilmots.
        golbezanpodcast.com
        twitter.com/GolBezan
        instagram.com/GolBezan
        youtube.com/GolBezan

Comment

Originally posted by FMCSMUBLB View Post
          He's very book smart. I can personally say that UEFA licences are very difficult and demanding. However, they are still coaching courses at the end of the day. You need to actually be good in practice in the real world. I hope Vahid, Karim, Dragan and the other staff members work together for the next qualifiers, unlike Wilmots.
          He is not part of TM staff anymore, only Bagheri..

Comment

It's incredible the first time he played an organized match was a 5-on-5 tournament at 15 years old. It really puts into context how incredible his accomplishments are, like many of our legionnaires during that period. Can you imagine he joined a good youth system at age 8 or 9?
            ballast parcham bi boro bargard refigh negaran nabash bikhod to aslan

Comment

Originally posted by Iran_19 View Post
              He is not part of TM staff anymore, only Bagheri..

He is. They're going to keep him.
              golbezanpodcast.com
              twitter.com/GolBezan
              instagram.com/GolBezan
              youtube.com/GolBezan

Comment

Working...
              X