No announcement yet.

Greatest World Cups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think most people are stating which World Cup is greatest based on how TM did. I think the OP was asking which World Cup was greatest overall.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

My Top 3

1. 1970 (Legends everywhere...)
      2. 1982 (Most entraining football)
      3. 1986 (thanks to Maradona’s one man show!)

Afterwards 1990 if you were a Germany fan, 1994 had lots of surprises but boring final.

But 1986 had in my opinion the best World Cup songs

enjoy
      CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post
        2002 shouldn't even count...Koreans cheated
        Who cares....Brazil won. It was a fun WC!

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post
          1. 1998
          2. 2006
          3. 2018.

2018 group stages and R16 were wild but later stages it just became a battle over which team outran the other.
          Ya definitely 2018 group stage was the best i could ever remember. Later stages became lame because not many good teams made it far.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
            Who cares....Brazil won. It was a fun WC!
            Brazil sucked that year. Sorry i dont enjoy cheating. Korea definitely screwed Spain and Italy over. The ref from the Italy game was arrested for drug trafficking couple of years after. that says enough about his character

Comment

Ya definitely 2018 group stage was the best i could ever remember. Later stages became lame because not many good teams made it far.
              The brackets were broken yeah.

A big problem in knockout tournaments now is that some teams actually plan for the game to go beyond 90 minutes.

Comment

Tough not to put personal feelings in to this for me as my earliest football memory is Italia 90. I remember being at school and being the only kid who said Cameroon would beat England when the teacher spoke to us in class, I mean we were all 5-6 so all the other kids were shouting England.

USA 94 because I had no bias for who won and I think the tournament is tainted by such a poor final but that Sweden and Romania teams were brilliant (what a team Romania had then).

That French team in 98 was amazing, the mystery surrounding Ronaldo that overshadowed the final was a shame and stopped us from seeing a great final. Mehdi Mahdavikia, that goal, the win against the USA. The build up to the tournament with qualifying was where I fell in love with the Iranian national team , it was the first time I had watched them and some lovely memories watching it with my Baba. As a Liverpool fan , Michael Owens goal against Argentina is also special for me.

2002 for the spectacle it was of bad officiating and some crazy results.

Germany 2006 had alot of goals, I remember the football that they used was making the ball do crazy things and there was some crazy goals. Spent the whole first half of the Mexico game thinking we could do something but it never happened.

2010, the vibe to it. Those vuvuzelas though, the noise after a while was so off putting. That Ghana team , the handball from Suarez, thought we would see the first African team in a semi final but wasn’t to happen.

2014 will always be remembered more for one thing , the semi final between Germany and Brazil. I remember getting home for the second half from work and thinking wow. Our performance in that tournament against Argentina, so so close, bloody Messi and a wonder free kick and some wayward finishing from our players.

Then 2018, still not over it , can’t talk about it.

Comment

Brazil sucked that year.
                  Excuse me?!!! You just did not say that! A team with Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Roberto Carlos and Cafu, all in their top form not only doesn't suck, they deserve to win the freaking WC! Don't be sour! Get over it! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Medzdidz View Post
                    Tough not to put personal feelings in to this for me as my earliest football memory is Italia 90. I remember being at school and being the only kid who said Cameroon would beat England when the teacher spoke to us in class, I mean we were all 5-6 so all the other kids were shouting England.
                    USA 94 because I had no bias for who won and I think the tournament is tainted by such a poor final but that Sweden and Romania teams were brilliant (what a team Romania had then).
                    That French team in 98 was amazing, the mystery surrounding Ronaldo that overshadowed the final was a shame and stopped us from seeing a great final. Mehdi Mahdavikia, that goal, the win against the USA. The build up to the tournament with qualifying was where I fell in love with the Iranian national team , it was the first time I had watched them and some lovely memories watching it with my Baba. As a Liverpool fan , Michael Owens goal against Argentina is also special for me.
                    2002 for the spectacle it was of bad officiating and some crazy results.
                    Germany 2006 had alot of goals, I remember the football that they used was making the ball do crazy things and there was some crazy goals. Spent the whole first half of the Mexico game thinking we could do something but it never happened.
                    2010, the vibe to it. Those vuvuzelas though, the noise after a while was so off putting. That Ghana team , the handball from Suarez, thought we would see the first African team in a semi final but wasn’t to happen.
                    2014 will always be remembered more for one thing , the semi final between Germany and Brazil. I remember getting home for the second half from work and thinking wow. Our performance in that tournament against Argentina, so so close, bloody Messi and a wonder free kick and some wayward finishing from our players.
                    Then 2018, still not over it , can’t talk about it.
                    That Argentina- England game back in 1998 was amazing. One of the best games I've seen by far.

You have missed 82 (specially) and 86. Brazil had one of the most "fun to watch" team in history of football. They made everybody in the world fall in love with their team and to everyone's surprise (most people thought they would win the WC with the way they played), they were eliminated much earlier than they deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                      That Argentina- England game back in 1998 was amazing. One of the best games I've seen by far.
                      You have missed 82 (specially) and 86. Brazil had one of the most "fun to watch" team in history of football. They made everybody in the world fall in love with their team and to everyone's surprise (most people thought they would win the WC with the way they played), they were eliminated much earlier than they deserved.
                      Unluckily for me I was born in 84 so never saw those two world cups, All I know is from highlight shows of the World Cup and from what I was told by family.

Comment

Just wanted to add that I remember so clearly following PFDC before I even signed up for the site regarding WC 2006.

Everyone of us had just watched Germany-Costa Rica as the opening game and were freaking out over how fast paced it was compared to our own TM. At that time every TM fan was basically at war with Mexican fans.

Comment

Germany 2006 was by far the best for me. Crazy drama, great fan support (I guess Germany is so easy to travel to as an international fan that you can have representation from everywhere) as well as cracking goals. Zidane's headbutt has to be the most memorable moment in World Cup history.

Comment

Originally posted by forzatm View Post
                            Germany 2006 was by far the best for me. Crazy drama, great fan support (I guess Germany is so easy to travel to as an international fan that you can have representation from everywhere) as well as cracking goals. Zidane's headbutt has to be the most memorable moment in World Cup history.
                            I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

for me probably it was 2006 and 2018
                              primarily because i was present and part of the fan's experience and off course watched our games live ..! in 06 followed and saw live all USA and Iran games with my young nephew who was/is a big USMNT fan, with a fantastic personality and a joy to travel with..! we drove all over Germany and shacked in our station wagon and froze our asses off at nights that we couldnt find any hotels drank more beer than water(Literally, cause it was cheaper..!) and partied our asses off ..! unfortunately iran games were all disappointing AF and probably the only sorta fun to watch games were the First Half of the Iran- Mexico clash where we got easily out-coached when mexicans made a couple subs at HT and totally ran over and dispatched us in the 2nd half..! and the 1-1 tie of the USA against Italians which was full of drama but i must say i was relieved to watch USA loose to Ghana and kicked out in group stages..! Guess misery does love company..!!
                              watching 98 WC on TV was a joy and re-ignited my love-lust with TM again, it was just a year after my scape from Iran so i could dodge sarbazi..!
                              besides TM, i was always fond of Brazil and the Dutch football so as a neutral viewers i enjoyed their progresses through the WC...! never could warm up to Italians, french or even ze germans games much and would root against them ... always hated England and can't say i ever cared much for the Argentines either..? Uruguayans and Columbians were fun to watch though and they often surprised and caused many upsets..! never could warm up to any african teams either, still cant ..!
                              Last edited by BacheLot; 04-06-2020, 06:46 AM.

Comment

2006 and 2018 for me also.

Comment

Working...
                                X