Ali Karimi at Bayern Munich - Page 12

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 111 to 120 of 120

Thread: Ali Karimi at Bayern Munich

  1. #111
    PFDC Hall of Famer
    ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,613
    Thanks
    1,057
    Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,046 Posts
    Rep Power
    42949735


    Meet your Persian Love Today
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokhodi View Post
    \

    Who said he's mediocre?

    In my case, I said he disappointed! Which to me mean's he didn't get anywhere near his potential.
    I don't think anyone would disagree with you that he didn't live up to his potential. He really could have been a world star (but then again if my aunt had a .... she would be my uncle).

    Karimi had good technique, which is not dribbling as most Iranian players can dribble thanks to gol kookhik, but have horrible technique (fundamentals such as controlling the ball, running with the ball, passing, stopping the ball etc.)

    He had good tactical awareness, as he could play in various positions well and adapt to different systems and types of teams. Just look at his time at Bayern where he would only play one touch football and walk into the spaces created. And also later when he was older and was a deep lying playmaker.

    He had a good vision. But that's kind of an obvious one as he was our a playmaker.

    Dribbling: world class.

    He could hold on the ball very well and even defend well. I can't recall many occasions where other players could get past him when he actually wanted to defend.

    Motivation and Perseverance: typical Iranian......Wanting to be rich and famous without putting in any effort it requires

    Attitude: very middle eastern.......offended easily for no reason, taking things personally, not thinking about long term impact but reacting based on emotions at that moment, being aggressive due to mental resilience, feeling entitled and letting a bit of power/fame going to his head thinking he is higher than Rhoda peyghambar, childish behavior all day long


    That being said, we always say he didn't live up to his potential. On the dutch TV there is a very popular football talkshow and one of the fixed speakers is an ex football player who is alway regarded as a person with a very high potential who could have been on the same level of Gullit and his other teammates, or maybe even higher, if only he was more motivated and didn't party that often.

    Once he got pissed of by having to hear the same story of he could have been if.......and he said something interesting. He said being motivated and having perseverance is just another skill set like being tall or being fast or being strong. Some have it or can work on it and some don't. I had many things but didn't have that. If we all had that skill set we all would be playing for Barca and Real. But that's not the case because everything misses something and motivation was what I was missing. So I did live up to my potential.

    So maybe Karimi also lived up to his full potential (although even I can't believe that) it's just that we see tangible/visible skills of his that are head and shoulders above others but don't realize that he missed some invisible/non-tangible skill which were needed to make him a world class player.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Babak agha For This Useful Post:


  3. #112
    PFDC Hall of Famer
    ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,613
    Thanks
    1,057
    Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,046 Posts
    Rep Power
    42949735
    Quote Originally Posted by Iran_19 View Post
    I like Karimi and I think he just like Daei gave visibility to our football, to anyone you mention I am Iranian and into the football the first names they mention is Daei and Karimi, few days a go Podolski posted a picture in his Insta with Karimi and call him a legend, that says alot

    We all agree sadly he was lazy and lacked motivation, regarding his finishing, yes I agree he wasn't the best one, I mean just look at Ireland match in Dublin or even in Tehran, both Sardar and Daei would have scored the chances he did missed and the reason why we didn't qualify maybe..


    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


    Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk
    So you're comparing the finishing qualities of our best two ever forwards/clinical finishers with a midfielder? can you name many world class midfielders who were better finishers than their strikers or Karimi for that matter?

    Karimi was a better finisher (later in his career) than Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, David Silva and Busquets. So although he gave everyone multiple heart attacks in the Ireland games (and many more games), let's try to be a bit objective.

  4. #113
    V.I.P.
    ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Nokhodi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    20,816
    Thanks
    15,260
    Thanked 18,570 Times in 6,862 Posts
    Rep Power
    42949735
    Karim Bagheri was a great finisher. Better than most forwards.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nokhodi For This Useful Post:


  6. #114
    PFDC Hall of Famer
    ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,613
    Thanks
    1,057
    Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,046 Posts
    Rep Power
    42949735
    So was Lampard, but he wasn't a better finisher than Drogba, nor was Bagheri better than Daei (who karimi was being compared to)

  7. #115
    PFDC Top Member
    Reputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Iran_19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Montréal, QC
    Posts
    4,991
    Thanks
    2,169
    Thanked 5,942 Times in 2,298 Posts
    Rep Power
    13228230
    Quote Originally Posted by Babak agha View Post
    So you're comparing the finishing qualities of our best two ever forwards/clinical finishers with a midfielder? can you name many world class midfielders who were better finishers than their strikers or Karimi for that matter?

    Karimi was a better finisher (later in his career) than Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, David Silva and Busquets. So although he gave everyone multiple heart attacks in the Ireland games (and many more games), let's try to be a bit objective.
    Karimi played in much much offensive position than many of our typical central midfielders including Bagheri in TM. He was in many games as right or left offensive winger or just behind striker. In game against Ireland he was playing much higher than Nikbakht(who played only a half in Dublin).
    So in many games( at least until bagheri was around) he was the 2nd striker behind Daei.

    Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk

  8. #116
    PFDC Top Member
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,969
    Thanks
    3,563
    Thanked 3,324 Times in 1,480 Posts
    Rep Power
    6145387
    Quote Originally Posted by Babak agha View Post
    Karimi was a better finisher (later in his career) than Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, David Silva and Busquets.


    Quote Originally Posted by Babak agha View Post
    So was Lampard, but he wasn't a better finisher than Drogba, nor was Bagheri better than Daei (who karimi was being compared to)
    I don't understand your point about Karimi. First you compare Bagheri with one person who happens to be the best goal scorer on the planet and then you compare Karimi with so many different international midfielders. Are you trying to say Karimi was a better finisher than Bagheri? Because in that case I don't think your comparisons make sense. Can you elaborate a bit on your point please?

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sly For This Useful Post:


  10. #117
    PFDC Hall of Famer
    ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,613
    Thanks
    1,057
    Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,046 Posts
    Rep Power
    42949735
    ^ I don't think you've been reading all the posts carefully?

    There were complaints about Karimi being a bad finisher, and he was being compared with Daei and Azmoun who wouldn't have been scoring the chances that Karimi had missed.

    My posts are about the fact that that's an unfair comparison. Karimi was an attacking midfielder not a forward and shouldn't be compared to the best two forwards/finishers of our history.

    Karimi was never a second striker, like Azizi was. Just because he was very attacking minded doesn't make him a forward who we should expect to be a good finisher. Nekounam played as a forward against Real Madrid for Ossasuna, Chealse, Man-U and Barca regularly have sent their center backs to play as a forward for the last 15-30 minutes. Both Barca and Spained fielded Fabregass regularly as their center forward. Just because they played there doesn't make them forwards nor finishers.

    Karimi was a midfielder and should be compared to other midfielders.

    Despite being a poor finisher in his early years, he improved massively later on and became our 4th top scorer of all times. Making him a very good finisher.

    I gave examples of world class midfielders in teams where midfielders score a lot and yet Karimi is a better finisher than them. Making his finishing skills world class for a midfielder. Still doesn't mean that he should be compared to forwards.

    The example of Bagheri was given with the claim that he was a better finisher than Karimi (I don't agree, I think Karimi was a more complete finisher compared to him) and that he was better than most forward (which Karimi was as well).

    My reply was that Bagheri was a very high scoring midfielder, yet Daei was a better finisher. And Karimi was being compared to Daei, which is wrong thing to do and it's not a valid argument to be used to call Karimi a weak finisher.

  11. #118
    PFDC Top Member
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,969
    Thanks
    3,563
    Thanked 3,324 Times in 1,480 Posts
    Rep Power
    6145387
    Quote Originally Posted by Babak agha View Post
    ^ I don't think you've been reading all the posts carefully?

    There were complaints about Karimi being a bad finisher, and he was being compared with Daei and Azmoun who wouldn't have been scoring the chances that Karimi had missed.

    My posts are about the fact that that's an unfair comparison. Karimi was an attacking midfielder not a forward and shouldn't be compared to the best two forwards/finishers of our history.

    Karimi was never a second striker, like Azizi was. Just because he was very attacking minded doesn't make him a forward who we should expect to be a good finisher. Nekounam played as a forward against Real Madrid for Ossasuna, Chealse, Man-U and Barca regularly have sent their center backs to play as a forward for the last 15-30 minutes. Both Barca and Spained fielded Fabregass regularly as their center forward. Just because they played there doesn't make them forwards nor finishers.

    Karimi was a midfielder and should be compared to other midfielders.

    Despite being a poor finisher in his early years, he improved massively later on and became our 4th top scorer of all times. Making him a very good finisher.

    I gave examples of world class midfielders in teams where midfielders score a lot and yet Karimi is a better finisher than them. Making his finishing skills world class for a midfielder. Still doesn't mean that he should be compared to forwards.

    The example of Bagheri was given with the claim that he was a better finisher than Karimi (I don't agree, I think Karimi was a more complete finisher compared to him) and that he was better than most forward (which Karimi was as well).

    My reply was that Bagheri was a very high scoring midfielder, yet Daei was a better finisher. And Karimi was being compared to Daei, which is wrong thing to do and it's not a valid argument to be used to call Karimi a weak finisher.
    Ok, thanks for the elaboration. I got your point now.

    Just on the side note.... Ali Karimi did play as a second striker for a while even though he played mostly as CAM. That was before Hashemian's addition to TM.

    Anyways.... Ali Karimi was one of our greatest players of all times. As one of the greatest, you get to play lots of games for a long time. If you play in TM long enough, your scoring chart will go up. If you really wanna compare who's a better finisher, you need to look at their goals per game stats. When you do, you see there is a much bigger gap between Bagheri and Karimi. and Bagheri reached there by playing DM for a good while, whereas the latter never played defensive positions in TM. Beside Bagheri there were also other midfielders who were better at scoring than Karimi. Like Ali Jabbari and Alidoosti.

    Having said that, I don't think Karimi was a very bad finisher. Not even during the first half of his career as you stated. Sure he missed lots of good chances, like for example the one against Ireland or the many chances against UAE in 2001. but he also scored many good goals. Like his beautiful long distance rocket against Slovakia (or was it Slovenia?). However, in important games when it mattered, he was quite an average goal scorer. and I think that had to do with his psyche. Even during big games that reached penalty shoot-out, Karimi always refused to take any. He was never mentally up for it.

  12. #119
    Power Member
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    kian_khosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Land of Ghorme Sabzi
    Posts
    396
    Thanks
    135
    Thanked 283 Times in 138 Posts
    Rep Power
    1191249
    Quote Originally Posted by Babak agha View Post
    ^ I don't think you've been reading all the posts carefully?

    There were complaints about Karimi being a bad finisher, and he was being compared with Daei and Azmoun who wouldn't have been scoring the chances that Karimi had missed.

    My posts are about the fact that that's an unfair comparison. Karimi was an attacking midfielder not a forward and shouldn't be compared to the best two forwards/finishers of our history.

    Karimi was never a second striker, like Azizi was. Just because he was very attacking minded doesn't make him a forward who we should expect to be a good finisher. Nekounam played as a forward against Real Madrid for Ossasuna, Chealse, Man-U and Barca regularly have sent their center backs to play as a forward for the last 15-30 minutes. Both Barca and Spained fielded Fabregass regularly as their center forward. Just because they played there doesn't make them forwards nor finishers.

    Karimi was a midfielder and should be compared to other midfielders.

    Despite being a poor finisher in his early years, he improved massively later on and became our 4th top scorer of all times. Making him a very good finisher.

    I gave examples of world class midfielders in teams where midfielders score a lot and yet Karimi is a better finisher than them. Making his finishing skills world class for a midfielder. Still doesn't mean that he should be compared to forwards.

    The example of Bagheri was given with the claim that he was a better finisher than Karimi (I don't agree, I think Karimi was a more complete finisher compared to him) and that he was better than most forward (which Karimi was as well).

    My reply was that Bagheri was a very high scoring midfielder, yet Daei was a better finisher. And Karimi was being compared to Daei, which is wrong thing to do and it's not a valid argument to be used to call Karimi a weak finisher.
    I wouldn't say Nekounam played as a striker, more like a false 9 similar to Bobby Firmino

  13. #120
    PFDC Valedictorian
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    ShiroKhorshid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,423
    Thanks
    1,001
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 613 Posts
    Rep Power
    11082044
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    The wizards last season. I still believe we could have won our first match against Nigeria if Karimi was part of the squad. Even if he had not started that match, i believe he could have gotten us a penalty or somethin Karimi like.
    http://nedavoice.net/images/Neda/Master_Flag_.jpg

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to ShiroKhorshid For This Useful Post:


+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Members who have read this thread : 193

You do not have permission to view the list of names.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
[Output: 104.15 Kb. compressed to 94.10 Kb. by saving 10.05 Kb. (9.65%)]