1999 Canada Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1999 Canada Cup

Given how many Canadian members we have I'm sure some of us attended the games in Edmonton. The opponents were Canada, Guatemala and Ecuador. We tied Ecuador (1-1) and Guatemala (2-2) and beat Canada (1-0) to finish in second place. Does anyone have any recollections of the tournament? Here is our team photo prior to the game against Canada along with some game shots. Also a recollection of someone who did attend. Who knows, maybe a PFDC member?

On June 4th 1999 I made the 3 hour drive from Calgary to Edmonton to see the Canada Cup match between Canada and Iran. I had never seen the Iranian National Team play live so I was very excited. One of my earliest memories is sitting with my dad as an 8 year old boy watching Iran play to a draw agaisnt Scotland in the 1978 World Cup. I didn't expect anything on that scale but nonetheless I was excited to see our National Team in action.

This wasn't going to be any normal match. A long lost friend who lived in Edmonton and worked at a radio station had secured some press passes to the match so I was going to watch the match from the sideline! I had last seen my friend in grade 8 (15 years ago) and we had just found each other through the magic of the Internet.

So my friend, my wife and I went to Commonwealth Stadium and I eventually made my way down to the pitch. The game was very exciting with action from end to end. Iran clearly dominated the match the in the end prevailed with a 1-0 win. I had an amazing time cheering on the National team from a unique vantage point. Sharing the excitement with my friend, wife and a few thousand fellow Iranians was a special experience. Enjoy the pictures below and if you would like any of them in a larger format just email me at farzad@email.com

June 4, 1999 (Canadian Press) -- Star striker Ali Daei, who had blown a half-dozen chances beforehand, scored in the 71st minute to give Iran a 1-0 victory over Canada at the Canada Cup of soccer. The result did not reflect Iran's domination. Canada was outshot 17-2 but benefited from some poor finishing with the lone goal coming on a majestic Daei header from a Sirous Dinmohammadi free kick.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Iran brought a quite crappy team there, hasheminasab, hamedani, halali, fekri, Mousavi, Boromand, etc.

Comment

I can't believe it has been 21 years. It feels like it was yesterday.

Comment

It was a really bad TM. Hasheminasab in particular was absolute garbage and was faking injury so much even the very respectful Canadian commentators were disgusted.
        I can't find highlights anywhere at all, but I remember taping some of the games on VHS somewhere.
        *Edit 1: Found some highlights:

* Edit 2: Watching the highlights, I remember better how PourHeidari (RIP) had some of the worst TM selection and tactics ever. Along with Talebi they nearly destroyed all the goodwill and positive attitudes we had after WC 1998.
        Also remarkable is the quality of friendlies we had in 99 to early 2000 (Kuwait, Ecuador, Canada, Guatemala, Japan, Denmark, Mexico, Ecuador again, USA...)
        Last edited by Nokhodi; 01-07-2020, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
          It was a really bad TM. Hasheminasab in particular was absolute garbage and was faking injury so much even the very respectful Canadian commentators were disgusted.
          I can't find highlights anywhere at all, but I remember taping some of the games on VHS somewhere.
          *Edit 1: Found some highlights:

* Edit 2: Watching the highlights, I remember better how PourHeidari (RIP) had some of the worst TM selection and tactics ever. Along with Talebi they nearly destroyed all the goodwill and positive attitudes we had after WC 1998.
          Also remarkable is the quality of friendlies we had in 99 to early 2000 (Kuwait, Ecuador, Canada, Guatemala, Japan, Denmark, Mexico, Ecuador again, USA...)
          great clip dadash merci..

great goal and @ 6:10 dashh Farhadddd...

Comment

I remember does days when football was fun to watch, no bus parking back then haha

thanks for the clips, Ali Daei ia a legend

Comment

Originally posted by Iran_19 View Post
              Iran brought a quite crappy team there, hasheminasab, hamedani, halali, fekri, Mousavi, Boromand, etc.
              Boroumand was perhaps the best Goalkeeper in that time.

Mousavi was a very talented striker who surprisingly was not very successful in Team Melli.

Comment

Originally posted by rooyintan View Post
                Boroumand was perhaps the best Goalkeeper in that time.

Mousavi was a very talented striker who surprisingly was not very successful in Team Melli.
                Both very much overrated.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk

Comment

Got all full games on tape. Iran worse game was against Guatamala where Daie behaved unprofessionally and got ejected. Wasn't good for a Bayern player.

Comment

Working...
                  X