1999 Canada Cup

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1999 Canada Cup

شریف حریف نداره
    ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,501 Times in 6,065 Posts

1999 Canada Cup

Meet your Persian Love Today
    Given how many Canadian members we have I'm sure some of us attended the games in Edmonton. The opponents were Canada, Guatemala and Ecuador. We tied Ecuador (1-1) and Guatemala (2-2) and beat Canada (1-0) to finish in second place. Does anyone have any recollections of the tournament? Here is our team photo prior to the game against Canada along with some game shots. Also a recollection of someone who did attend. Who knows, maybe a PFDC member?

On June 4th 1999 I made the 3 hour drive from Calgary to Edmonton to see the Canada Cup match between Canada and Iran. I had never seen the Iranian National Team play live so I was very excited. One of my earliest memories is sitting with my dad as an 8 year old boy watching Iran play to a draw agaisnt Scotland in the 1978 World Cup. I didn't expect anything on that scale but nonetheless I was excited to see our National Team in action.

This wasn't going to be any normal match. A long lost friend who lived in Edmonton and worked at a radio station had secured some press passes to the match so I was going to watch the match from the sideline! I had last seen my friend in grade 8 (15 years ago) and we had just found each other through the magic of the Internet.

So my friend, my wife and I went to Commonwealth Stadium and I eventually made my way down to the pitch. The game was very exciting with action from end to end. Iran clearly dominated the match the in the end prevailed with a 1-0 win. I had an amazing time cheering on the National team from a unique vantage point. Sharing the excitement with my friend, wife and a few thousand fellow Iranians was a special experience. Enjoy the pictures below and if you would like any of them in a larger format just email me at [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

June 4, 1999 (Canadian Press) -- Star striker Ali Daei, who had blown a half-dozen chances beforehand, scored in the 71st minute to give Iran a 1-0 victory over Canada at the Canada Cup of soccer. The result did not reflect Iran's domination. Canada was outshot 17-2 but benefited from some poor finishing with the lone goal coming on a majestic Daei header from a Sirous Dinmohammadi free kick.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KC McElroy For This Useful Post:

PFDC Top Member
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,778 Times in 2,233 Posts
    Iran brought a quite crappy team there, hasheminasab, hamedani, halali, fekri, Mousavi, Boromand, etc.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Iran_19 For This Useful Post:

PFDC Valedictorian
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 878 Posts
    I can't believe it has been 21 years. It feels like it was yesterday.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mahestan For This Useful Post:

V.I.P.
    ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,977 Times in 6,621 Posts
    It was a really bad TM. Hasheminasab in particular was absolute garbage and was faking injury so much even the very respectful Canadian commentators were disgusted.
    I can't find highlights anywhere at all, but I remember taping some of the games on VHS somewhere.
    *Edit 1: Found some highlights:

* Edit 2: Watching the highlights, I remember better how PourHeidari (RIP) had some of the worst TM selection and tactics ever. Along with Talebi they nearly destroyed all the goodwill and positive attitudes we had after WC 1998.
    Also remarkable is the quality of friendlies we had in 99 to early 2000 (Kuwait, Ecuador, Canada, Guatemala, Japan, Denmark, Mexico, Ecuador again, USA...)
    Last edited by Nokhodi; 01-07-2020 at 10:22 AM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nokhodi For This Useful Post:

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokhodi View Post
    It was a really bad TM. Hasheminasab in particular was absolute garbage and was faking injury so much even the very respectful Canadian commentators were disgusted.
    I can't find highlights anywhere at all, but I remember taping some of the games on VHS somewhere.
    *Edit 1: Found some highlights:

* Edit 2: Watching the highlights, I remember better how PourHeidari (RIP) had some of the worst TM selection and tactics ever. Along with Talebi they nearly destroyed all the goodwill and positive attitudes we had after WC 1998.
    Also remarkable is the quality of friendlies we had in 99 to early 2000 (Kuwait, Ecuador, Canada, Guatemala, Japan, Denmark, Mexico, Ecuador again, USA...)
    great clip dadash merci..

great goal and @ 6:10 dashh Farhadddd...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to marand92 For This Useful Post:

General Member
    Thanks
    I remember does days when football was fun to watch, no bus parking back then haha

thanks for the clips, Ali Daei ia a legend

News Editor
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iran_19 View Post
    Iran brought a quite crappy team there, hasheminasab, hamedani, halali, fekri, Mousavi, Boromand, etc.
    Boroumand was perhaps the best Goalkeeper in that time.

Mousavi was a very talented striker who surprisingly was not very successful in Team Melli.

PFDC Top Member
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,778 Times in 2,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rooyintan View Post
    Boroumand was perhaps the best Goalkeeper in that time.

Mousavi was a very talented striker who surprisingly was not very successful in Team Melli.
    Both very much overrated.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Iran_19 For This Useful Post:

PFDC Top Member
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,851 Times in 838 Posts
    Got all full games on tape. Iran worse game was against Guatamala where Daie behaved unprofessionally and got ejected. Wasn't good for a Bayern player.

+ Reply to Thread

Members who have read this thread : 67

You do not have permission to view the list of names.