My thoughts on the upcoming qualifier against Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thoughts on the upcoming qualifier against Iraq

The away game against Iraq will by far be our most crucial qualifying game so far. The pressure is definitely on us, since we at least need a draw or a win in order to keep our chances alive in this group. So here's what I think:

Iraq will go all out in front of their own fans because that's what they usually do against us. In addition to that, they now got the home advantage. We haven't played in Basra as long as I can remember, so it will be on a very hostile and unknown ground for us. The game will be even tougher than the one in Manama, that's for sure. So the best scenario would be that we go into that game with a conservative defensive game plan, ideally two DM's covering for the defense. We can sit deep, and counter attack. With a tie, we would still have a good chance to progress since the remaining games will be at home.

My preferred line up against Iraq, with Dejagah as captain to lead the team and in order to prevent our boys from getting emotional:

Beiranvand
    Mohammadi - Pouraliganji - Hosseini - Moharrami
    Ebrahimi - Ezatolahi
    Dejagah
    Jahanbakhsh - Azmoun - Taremi

This would be the most suited team to take on a motivated Iraq side. With a combination of experienced players and youth, we can put a better performance than we did this week.

Your thoughts?

we need to play ultra defensive and hope to get a point there
    Iraqis are gonna dribble past our players with ease
    I mean Rezaian doesnt even know how to tackle, Hajsafi lacks basic football skills he couldnt even make it in a 3rd Bundesliga team (which was playing in 2nd back then), Ansarifard misses a free header from 2 metres against cambodia

Individual flaws aside this Team Melli seems to be lacking the team spirit which CQ implemented

I would seriously consider just playing U23 players regardless if we dont make the WC
    A team who cant beat a team like Bahrain is just a waste of a spot in the World Cup

Comment

i think with the way Wilmots likes to play, its definitely going to be an attacking formation. problem is wilmots isn't a great tactical genius, and also I do think with (hopefully) dejagah back in, hopefully, jahanbakhsh picks up his mess and starts to play as a grown-up instead of having out the lazy guy in England.. and hopefully ghoddos being able to play... we could see a very good line up.
      I really haven't seen moharrami play that often so I cannot really comment on his play, but he is definitely doing something right in Croatia. bring him in the next call up, hopefully he has the same or better attacking and defending attributes than rezaeian.
      let go of Ehsan hajsafi, he's a big flaw in the whole team! the kid can't shoot for shit and his crosses are not placed well and his corners simply suck ass. bring in ezzatolahi (if he plays more for his club) and gets his shit together rather than hanging out the persian rapper in Belgium.
      ghoddos would be a great asset to the team, keep mohebbi but don't start him. since his positioning was a little bit off because the lack of chemistry. Wilmots must also talk with khanzade and hosseini so they communicate with eachother because it was catastrophic in the match against bahrain.
      anyway, what i would think and how i would do it
      moharami khanzade hosseini milad
      ---------------ezatolahi
      -----nourolahi ------------- ebrahimi
      -----------Dejagah/ghoddos
      JB -------------------------------------- Taremi
      ----------------azmoun
      although other formations would probably be way better i just chose something fast, but iun the end of the day, its not what we think that matters since we cannot really influence the coach, we'll see when the TM list comes out. btw when is the next match?

Comment

Originally posted by Kiarash View Post
        The away game against Iraq will by far be our most crucial qualifying game so far. The pressure is definitely on us, since we at least need a draw or a win in order to keep our chances alive in this group. So here's what I think:

Iraq will go all out in front of their own fans because that's what they usually do against us. In addition to that, they now got the home advantage. We haven't played in Basra as long as I can remember, so it will be on a very hostile and unknown ground for us. The game will be even tougher than the one in Manama, that's for sure. So the best scenario would be that we go into that game with a conservative defensive game plan, ideally two DM's covering for the defense. We can sit deep, and counter attack. With a tie, we would still have a good chance to progress since the remaining games will be at home.

My preferred line up against Iraq, with Dejagah as captain to lead the team and in order to prevent our boys from getting emotional:

Beiranvand
        Ebrahimi - Ezatolahi
        Dejagah

This would be the most suited team to take on a motivated Iraq side. With a combination of experienced players and youth, we can put a better performance than we did this week.

Your thoughts?
        I would not start Ezzatollahi, as he's still big question mark, and we can't take risks. Last game he played for Eupen, he looks way out of shape. I would start Nourollahi instead.
        Dejageh would be good off the bench, but not sure what condition he will be in. Not sure who would take that spot, maybe Amiri? (definitely not Mohammadi, the is guy way too selfish).

The rest looks fine.

Comment

When is the Ghoddos ban over?

Comment

Originally posted by Dortmund View Post
            Around March I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Dortmund View Post
              Until end of this year.

So from January 1, 2020 he will be available for club and country.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiarash View Post

Beiranvand
                Ebrahimi - Ezatolahi
                Dejagah

Your thoughts?

Ezatollahi, Hosseini have been very clumsy since Asia Cup and Ebrahimi does not play as before.

I have not seen Moharrami or if I did, can't remember how he plays.

Also Azmoun needs to be warned for his behaviour with referees. Our team needs to keep cool in such an important match. If Azmoun can't keep his cool, then better use other strikers likes of Rezaei, Sayyadmanesh. Haji Safi should not play since he can't keep his cool.

The match venue will be very hostile, I won't be surprised that there will be many Baathists, Salafists, Wahhabis and possibly some Al Ahwazi among Iraqi fans who will be insulting Iran and Iranians.

Beiranvand
                Rezaeian/Ghafouri - Pouraliganji - Kanaani/Cheshmi - Mohammadi
                Jahanbakhsh - Karimi - Nourollahi
                Dejagah (c)
                Azmoun - Taremi
                Subs: Shojaei, Torabi, Sayyadmanesh

Comment

Playing ultra conservative is exactly the wrong tactic here. Since Iraq will be attacking, the best style would be to play an attacking style right back at them. Stop being so soft... If we are the #1 team in Asia, as some claim we are, we need to show them by playing an aggressive attacking style. I hope Wilmot is not listening to you guys and try to play the sissy bus packing in the box.

Comment

I have just watched Iraq recent games against Bahrain, Hong Kong and Kambodja; i am not impressed. They struggle to create clear chances and rely on crosses into the box and long range shots.
                    In their away game against Bahrain, they got lucky wit the draw- we created much more chances against Bahrain in comparison. They seem to be very dangerous in the air so we should be focused in set pieces, corners etc., specially control "MiMo" otherwise they clearly lack creativity upfront.
                    We are the better Team, with the better quality and players and should play for the win (although a draw would be fine too). From my point of view, we performed good against Bahrain (given the circumstances and bad luck with the penalty) since we were the better Team with more chances to score. Therefore i would choice an aggressive approach, my lineup:
                    Beiranvand
                    Ghafouri - Pouraliganji - Kanaani - Mohammadi
                    Dejagah (c)- Ebrahimi- Nourollahi
                    Karim
                    Azmoun - Taremi

Comment

Play the guys that are unphased by pressure. That's what matters.

Comment

Do or Die match. If we lose the match, it will be very very hard to qualify, as the other teams can not stop iraq and bahrain. we are not allowed to lose the match in Iraq.
                        World Cup 2006, Frankfurt, Iran vs. Portugal, Iranian Frontpage of GOAL Sportspaper
                        sigpic

And on the 8.Day God created Ali Karimi, and he saw he was good!
                        If Defenders were allowed to use their hands to stop Karimi
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by saeed_noro View Post
                          Do or Die match. If we lose the match, it will be very very hard to qualify, as the other teams can not stop iraq and bahrain. we are not allowed to lose the match in Iraq.
                          I agree, although Hong Kong could create some upsets at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Philosophy_King View Post
                            I agree, although Hong Kong could create some upsets at home.
                            Arab teams struggle in Asia away from home it's tricky for them . Can see Bahrain drawing in the heat and intensity of Hong Kong for sure
                            Please watch and Subscribe:

Comment

Originally posted by euphory View Post
                              i think with the way Wilmots likes to play, its definitely going to be an attacking formation. problem is wilmots isn't a great tactical genius, and also I do think with (hopefully) dejagah back in, hopefully, jahanbakhsh picks up his mess and starts to play as a grown-up instead of having out the lazy guy in England.. and hopefully ghoddos being able to play... we could see a very good line up.
                              I really haven't seen moharrami play that often so I cannot really comment on his play, but he is definitely doing something right in Croatia. bring him in the next call up, hopefully he has the same or better attacking and defending attributes than rezaeian.
                              let go of Ehsan hajsafi, he's a big flaw in the whole team! the kid can't shoot for shit and his crosses are not placed well and his corners simply suck ass. bring in ezzatolahi (if he plays more for his club) and gets his shit together rather than hanging out the persian rapper in Belgium.
                              ghoddos would be a great asset to the team, keep mohebbi but don't start him. since his positioning was a little bit off because the lack of chemistry. Wilmots must also talk with khanzade and hosseini so they communicate with eachother because it was catastrophic in the match against bahrain.
                              anyway, what i would think and how i would do it
                              moharami khanzade hosseini milad
                              ---------------ezatolahi
                              -----nourolahi ------------- ebrahimi
                              -----------Dejagah/ghoddos
                              JB -------------------------------------- Taremi
                              ----------------azmoun
                              although other formations would probably be way better i just chose something fast, but iun the end of the day, its not what we think that matters since we cannot really influence the coach, we'll see when the TM list comes out. btw when is the next match?
                              Next two matches I believe is Nov. 14 and then Nov. 19

Comment

Working...
                              X