No announcement yet.

Iran vs Hong Kong Match Thread | Live Report, Links, Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think some people are overreacting (whats new).

This round of wcq is always the shittiest. Japan could only beat myanmar 2-0 today with a full squad. Saudi tying yemen. Qatar tying India.

Even yesterday, Turkey could only beat andorra barely by a goal, germany struggled a lot with northern ireland.

I think our main players were not in today and they make a big difference when they are. PAG is much better than Kanaani, Ezatolahi at the base of the midfield is a must, ghoddos in these types of games is perfect, Taremi opens up space for everybody, and imo vs teams that park the bus a dribbler like gholizadeh is needed who can draw multiple guys out of position creating space for others. Also I think dejagah should have played more in the absence of ghoddos.

The idea of azmoun in a bit of a withdrawn role is actually quite an interesting one so props to wilmots for trying it. His passing, crosses, and setting of the tempo in the offensive third was superb. A totally new side of his game that I never saw before (albeit against weaker opposition). It could be very interesting to try such a thing a few years down the line as well when hopefully allahyar is more developed and can be our power player in the box harassing defenders, creating even more space for the likes of ghoddos, sardar, Taremi, ARJ, etc.

I will say I think at the moment crucial for us is getting ezatolahi back and fit, utilizing dejagah more (since ghoddos is sidelined), and trying to find alternatives to ramin. Moharrami when fit and playing in croatia which should happen in the next two months is at least deserving of a few more games considering his impressive pre AC displays vs uzbekistan and venezuela.

Overall, I would like to see something like :

---------------Beiranvand---------------
    Moharrami/Ramin----Majid----PAG----milad
    ----------------Ezatolahi-----------
    -----Dejagah/Ebrahimi/Hajsafi--------------Ghoddos
    Gholizadeh/ARJ------Azmoun------Taremi

Ideally 7-8 positions should be the core of the team, with 3-4 always being up for grabs depending on form or opposition.

On a side note, the kit looks MUCH better than expected. the ridiculous lava lamps are gone, the design on the side actually matches the one on the shoulders and is interesting. I kind of wish they just ditched the cheetah and maybe put the cheetah as a small but cool design element on the back of the neck (like a lot of teams have), and wish they added more green.

anyways again, difficult to take a lot from these matches. I think TAJ and co will get the friendlies and proper camps together for the real stage of qualifying. I dont remember us having any decent friendlies during this stage with CQ either time. They all came during the second, proper stage. Our group is a bit dangerous with iraq and bahrain, and we will need to just focus on getting wins first of all to avoid unnecessary pressure

Comment

Wilmots' post match comments:

"We gained three points from this match, so I think it was a positive result," said coach Marc Wilmots, who was taking charge of his first competitive game for Iran.

"We encountered a wall of defence from the Hong Kong team but we were able to score two goals and had opportunities to score more.

"This is the beginning of our preparations and we will get better day-by-day."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/1-soccer-...194356594.html

Comment

Originally posted by diz View Post
        Wilmots' post match comments:

"We gained three points from this match, so I think it was a positive result," said coach Marc Wilmots, who was taking charge of his first competitive game for Iran.

"We encountered a wall of defence from the Hong Kong team but we were able to score two goals and had opportunities to score more.

"This is the beginning of our preparations and we will get better day-by-day."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/1-soccer-...194356594.html
        I love coach’s positive attitude! Definitely not less than Carlos in that regard.

It is true, our boys were a bit “geej” today. But they were following Marc’s orders and while having to deal with the Great Wall of Hong Kong they converted 2/10 chances. We will get better with time. Even with bad friendlies we will progress.

However, we will need stronger friendly matches to prepare for the second round. And by stronger I mean against the likes of Turkey, Russia, Bosnia, maybe Holland. Teams who we can engage with while experiencing sanctions. Holland has expressed interest for a while now and they’re more than aware of the quality of our players (I don’t even need to go there). So why not invite them to Iran, take great care of them (as we always do with our guests despite i.r. in charge we still have a good reputation for our hospitality and professionalism in that regard). We play them or invite Turkey to Iran.

All I know is that the final round is no joke. It wasn’t a joke when we had to deliver in 3 matches for Brasil 2014, it wasn’t a joke when we qualified with ease to Russia 2018, and it will not be a joke now.

Comment

well ezzatolahi hasnt played in what, almost a year now? half a year? due to injury what can we expect from him

Comment

Originally posted by teammelli91 View Post
            I love coach’s positive attitude! Definitely not less than Carlos in that regard.
            I have to disagree with you on this man. This guys looks "Pakhme" to me. CQ had a charisma, which made players give their life in the match and play with all their heart. Its soon to judge but i think we gonna see some players giving him attitude ! Lets hope he knows how to deal with it . ( CQ and rahmati for instance)

Comment

I feel Ezza will come back stronger than ever (if he chooses to drop all the ghorme sabzi)

Comment

Originally posted by roozan View Post
                well ezzatolahi hasnt played in what, almost a year now? half a year? due to injury what can we expect from him
                he played in june against syria and korea. wilmots didn’t want him this time.

Comment

Here is an interesting article by Mostafavi arguing that Wilmots is putting together a new system with a striker (Karim in the yesterday's match) and a shadow striker (Sardar again yesterday) that sounds like a hybrid between CAM and a striker. Here are the main points:

- We all noticed how Majid and Kanaani played close to mid line hence another aspect of the new system he points out is the two CB's playing further up and execute the plan by solid interceptions on counters and quick movement to the back.

- He also argues that Wilmots was smart about HK having tall defenders (unlike many other southeast Asian teams) and did not just have a barrage of serves into their eighteen. Rather the team only did that when the wingers got the ball either in between HK's CBs and their side backs or between HK's CBs and their midfielders. I would add that we also used our ground game (watch ARJ's beautiful move after receiving Sardar's pass to open himself up and send a surface serve into Karim's path for the second goal and watch Sardar's movement after he passed the ball to ARJ even though he did not receive the serve).

- He then says that this system will be even better when we have Ghoddoos and Taremi instead of ARJ and Torabi. Since they could play these roles even better and Taremi could even be the shadow striker with Sardar being the striker instead of Karim.

- Mostafavi also mentions that Wilmots chose Majid and Kanaani because they are younger and this new role requires a lot more running and in PAG and Cheshmi we have good replacements.

- He then praises Wilmots (and I think a lot of credit should perhaps go to Vahid) for having a very well planned strategy and he says as we get better with this kind of possession game we could dictate our game to future opponents. He says we should mature this system by the time we face Iraq (and I say even Bahrain).

- I would add that CQ also started this in AC 2019 (and Mostafavi also says that because he refers to the AC match against Oman) but this is more sophisticated with using the shadow striker and adjusting to the opponent. CQ's team used many long balls and direct game in AC. Mostafavi argues that this is harder to execute than the CQ's defensive system (I am not sure if we could pigeonhole CQ to having only a defensive system while he started the possession attacking football in AC).

- He also argues that we could be as high as top 16 (I don't know why 16) if we perfect this system with the great talent pool that we have. I would add that with Ezzatollahi being in good shape and finding his rhythm, we could even be more effective with him doing the interceptions in the midfield and starting the attack.

https://www.varzesh3.com/news/163583...A7%D8%B3%D8%AA

Go TM!

Comment

A front four of Azmoun, Ansarifard, Taremi, and Ghoddos seems a bit too offensive no?

Comment

Originally posted by Dortmund View Post
                      A front four of Azmoun, Ansarifard, Taremi, and Ghoddos seems a bit too offensive no?
                      If you are referring to my post, I meant Azmoun in place of Ansarifard, Taremi as a shadow striker and Ghoddoos as one of the wingers as one possible formation.

Comment

Originally posted by Futbaldoost View Post
                        If you are referring to my post, I meant Azmoun in place of Ansarifard, Taremi as a shadow striker and Ghoddoos as one of the wingers as one possible formation.
                        Ah yes and that sounds a lot better

Comment

Originally posted by Iranianarsenal11 View Post
                          ARJ wasn't nearly as bad as you guys are making him out to be.. He also had that great ball to Azmoun for the header that the HK keeper saved in the first half.
                          Not to mention his assist, near goal from his free kick, other solid runs...
                          I do admit he could've been better though... It's almost like you have much higher expectations since he is a premier league player.
                          He had some impressive moves in my opinion.
                          Last edited by kianstarwars; 09-11-2019, 11:30 PM. Reason: remove "a"

Comment

Working...
                          X