Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hasan Roshan Sentenced to 74 Lashes

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iranian-f...162510047.html

A hugely popular Iranian footballer who trained as a manager at Aston Villa has asked the country’s judiciary to carry out his punishment of 74 lashes in a national stadium in a symbolic gesture of defiance, after being found guilty of "spreading lies and causing public unrest”.

Hassan Rowshan, a football coach for the Esteghlal team who formerly played for the Iranian national team, had claimed in an interview that his club’s academy was “more interested in making money from rich families and did not produce any professional players”.

Two of the club’s directors sued Rowshan for libel and he is believed to have provided insufficient evidence to defend himself against the charges in court.

Rowshan, a household name in Iran, was sentenced on Wednesday to a fine of 10 million Rials (£195) and 74 lashes, which he has asked to be given in the 25,000-capacity stadium.

“I have no money to pay and would happily go to receive the lashes. But I ask the authorities to carry out the lashing in Amjadiya stadium in Tehran,” he said. “I thank Allah for this verdict and obey the court’s ruling.”

Mahmood Sarabi, who played along Rowshan and is currently the coach of Pars football club, the youth Iranian football team in north London, says the choice of stadium is a symbolic one.

“All the glories of Iranian football both on domestic and international stages have been achieved at Amjadiya and Hassan Rowshan has been an inseparable part of these glories.

“By challenging the authorities to lash him at the national stadium he is implying that they are lashing the country’s football and its pride history”, Sarabi told the Telegraph.

It is believed to be unlikely that the lashes will be administered at all, as it may cause a national outcry.

Rowshan made his debut in the world of Iran’s football at the age of 17 by joining Taj youth club in the working-class area of south Tehran.

His “Brazilian style” of playing made him a national figure and he became the record goal scorer of any national team.

Football in Iran has been closely intertwined with politics, both domestic and international. As such, corruption and cronyism in the country’s football clubs, largely run by former commanders of the Revolutionary Guards, has been rampant.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

marg be khamenei

Comment

This can’t be real can it? Lashing an icon in a stadium? Are we really worse than afghanistan?
      Team Meli Iran
      Perspolis FC
      Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Disgusting that this could happen.

Comment

Typical Iranian Judicatory system lol
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUKabP3zTI

Comment

Medieval Roshan asked that they should do it in Amjadieh to embarrass them. I doubt that they dare to carry out this horrific act against such a legend. It could spark unrest in these harsh economic times. Lets see if they are stupid enough to go ahead with it.

Comment

I'm going to predict the opinion of people who defend Iran's justice system.

"Iran is a very sovereign and dynamic place where people need to change the laws over a 100 years. I have spoken to many buddies of mine and while we are not ok with women being in the stadium we are ok with Hassan Roshan getting lashes in one"

Comment

If they actually do this in Amjadieh I wonder if sirvan will allow his wife to go to the stadium to watch it.
                I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Why lashing? This barbaric backward regime is just disgusting. If he is found guilty of the charges and he cannot pay, harshest verdict should have been jail time sentence. That’s all!

How I despise the IR and it’s barbaric laws is just indescribable!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Keano View Post
                    Why lashing? This barbaric backward regime is just disgusting. If he is found guilty of the charges and he cannot pay, harshest verdict should have been jail time sentence. That’s all!

How I despise the IR and it’s barbaric laws is just indescribable!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jail time like Mayeli Kohan who was sent to Evin by Ali Daei.

Lashing is barbaric.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post
                      This can’t be real can it? Lashing an icon in a stadium? Are we really worse than afghanistan?
                      WOW

Is this really happening to a Legend ?

Comment

The article it says nothing will probably happen.
                        It is a stupid sentence though.
                        In Iranian courts for this sentence you can either accept financial punishment or the whipping!

Same thing happened to Zia Arabshahi a few years ago. He asked for a whipping instead of financial punishment because he wanted attention. In the end nothing happened.

https://www.radiofarda.com/a/f3-lash.../27320684.html

F*** the idiots who tarnish the country like this with stupid bullshit.

Comment

to be fair, i'd rather get lashes than to be placed in a fucking cage.

Comment

It is a shame
                            sigpic

Comment

OK.. shalagh bezanid eshkali nadareh... ma ham yerooz "batoom" mikonim tooye soorakhetoon keh az dahanetoon bezaneh biroon kesafata.
                              __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
                              We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Comment

Working...
                              X