Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technically, what are some of the shortcomings of an average Iranian player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technically, what are some of the shortcomings of an average Iranian player?

Please note that I understand that we have exceptional players here and there who are our pride and joy. I am here referring to the rest. by "average" I mean 90 percent of our players. Also I am talking about iindividual technical abilities including dribbling, short passes, long passes, etc. etc. Please add to the list. If you know what I mean here please help me ask the right question. I am a novice football lover. Thanks. Cheers.

I dont think Iranian players have any real issue with dribbling.

In fact, one can argue based on IPL that they try it too much and far too often.

Off the ball movement needs work because players tend to wait for the guy with the ball to do something before they move themselves.

Technically the biggest issue our players have is trapping the ball/first touch. Its a problem that even plagues our best players.

Comment

Technically, our players often lack a good touch and sharp decision making when in the final third. Additionally, they can dribble too much or rather, not be able to use a basic move to get past their defenders at times.

However, OVERALL, i'd say our biggest weakness is stamina and sprint speed.

Comment

Skills. When was the last time we saw a feint or a cool flick from our players?
        (Other than masoud, but he was also extremely slow, static football, as I would say)

Comment

first touch and short passes

Comment

Originally posted by Galactika View Post
            (Other than masoud, but he was also extremely slow, static football, as I would say)
            Dejagah

Comment

Azmouns 2105 goal V Qatar
              Azmouns 2019 goal V Locomotiv
              Mehdis 2019 goal V Syria
              #WilmotsOUT

Comment

Study a fellow called Namjoo-Motlagh. He played for Esteghlal 30 years ago. Great ball skills, physical fitness/height, and vision of the field for play-making. Always a safe player to pass the ball to and expect to maintain possession. Reliable with set pieces. Charismatic and friendly. Closest thing to a Cristiano Ronaldo Iran had for a short period of time. I think he also wore number 7 for the blues. He did not age well, perhaps due to stressed life-style, gene factors, or high-calorie food.
                sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

heads up play, vision, calm in possession and making smart movements without the ball..!!

Comment

Fitness, the chelo kabob diet and light jogging practice don't prepare our players for Europe and are a big reason for the consistent injuries when they first move

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm View Post
                      Study a fellow called Namjoo-Motlagh. He played for Esteghlal 30 years ago. Great ball skills, physical fitness/height, and vision of the field for play-making. Always a safe player to pass the ball to and expect to maintain possession. Reliable with set pieces. Charismatic and friendly. Closest thing to a Cristiano Ronaldo Iran had for a short period of time. I think he also wore number 7 for the blues. He did not age well, perhaps due to stressed life-style, gene factors, or high-calorie food.
                      Dude scored only 4 times in 11 years.. I think we should probably be looking elsewhere for technical motivation.
                      #WilmotsOUT

Comment

are you kidding me, have you seen saman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kian_khosh View Post
                          are you kidding me, have you seen saman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          yeah he's pretty confident on the ball,
                          but still! I was talking about TM matches where we kinda lack individual skills

Comment

I would highlight two. I have thought a lot about our deficiencies prior to the asking of this question and I would say they are the following :

1 - Creative, technically sound midfield players. as a country we have produced many excellent forwards and wingers, and very solid defenders. This has a lot to do with iranian physique being quite solid, and forward players having the kind of instinctual qualities that come primarily from starting football in gol koochik environments / with gol koochik principles. But when it comes to central midfielders, the equation changes. Here players need to be technically excellent and able to deal with a lot of pressure from all sides, and still have clear mind to turn, pass out of pressure, evaluate options, etc. The big thing that causes that is a lack of proper fundamentals and facilities. Often in our youth teams we emphasize goalscoring and quickly making chances as opposed to controlled build up play. This is a result of coaches desicions but also, an inability of our midfield players to build play consistently, because from a young age they havent been playing in big grass pitches of quality, where they are encouraged and able to play in this manner. If you play on a crappy grass pitch as many of us have, you must adapt your game and play long, individual dribbling style instead, looking for quick combos around box. If we had proper facilities for youth this technical deficiency in the midfield would change.

2- the second issue is also related to midfield players, but can also be generalized and that is stamina. For some reason, in my opinion genetic, the pool of players with great lung capacity and ability to run for 90+ mins in a kante like manner is very limited in Iran. In general, we have a very low, next to nothing number of track and field athletes competing at a successful level, and this is also evident in our football. There are populations within our society that can solve that in my opinion, because iran is so diverse, if they are given the proper facilities and means to do so. I think primarily of the sizable afro iranian population in the south, that would definitely have the capability to do so in their genetic makeup.

When you combine these two factors, they create somewhat of a vicious cycle. A player that is already limited technically will try to play in a more simple physical way, but when they tire their limited technique in midfield will just get worse, more turnovers, more fouls, etc.

Today, we have saeid, who is a generational midfield talent, like Nekounam and Bagheri. He is physically a tank with excellent technique as well, aided by being in europe since a young age, although he is going thru some injury issues at the moment. Next to him ideally we would have a technical, ground covering midfielder ala Torreira or Bennacer etc. We dont have that player, so the next best is a player with proficient technical ability and a willingness to sacrifice as much as possible, and that is Ebrahimi, who I believe was our best performer at WC, and also excellent in AC. But he is ONE player. The fact that out of 80 million people we have one player like Ebrahimi who himself is now in his 30s shows that this our weakest point.

Comment

Without a say are weakest "technical' shortcomings is our finishing. Many have said things that have to do with the physical and mental part of the game. The question was technical and that has to be our finishing. With better finishing, we would've been in the round of 16 of the world cup.
                              "History is a set of lies that people have agreed upon,"

Comment

Working...
                              X