Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Privatization of Iran's Top Two Football Clubs Unlikely by March 2020

https://financialtribune.com/article...-by-march-2020

The unwillingness of the government to hand over the clubs to private hands, due in part to security reasons stemming from the massive popularity of the two teams in question, has led to inefficient management of the heavyweight teams

The planned privatization of Iran's two major football clubs, namely Persepolis and Esteghlal, is unlikely to be concluded in the current Iranian year (March 2019-2020), amid impediments to reforms in the clubs’ structure and problems related to their financial statements, the head of Iranian Privatization Organization says.

“There are many hurdles on the way of privatization of Esteghlal and Persepolis, which will take a lot of time to overcome unless the parliament comes to our aid to transfer the ownership of the two clubs through Iran Fara Bourse," Mir Ali Ashraf Abdollah Pouri-Hosseini was also quoted as saying by Mehr News Agency.

There have been talks about this for over a decade and I have never seen it go anywhere.

It would be great for our football but not holding my breath that it will ever happen under IR. For privatization there would have to be sponsorship money, tv rights advertising revenue etc. That's a tall order to fix and at the pace things happen in Iran it won't be done anytime soon let alone in 2020. Also there really is no incentive for the government to allow the teams to go private.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Its completely unsustainable because TV rights are still not being paid out by IRIB despite their commitment to do so.
      Until then, it's all hot air. No private investor will own these clubs if they're going to go bankrupt supporting them financially.

Comment

Working...
      X