Omid Singh's dilemma - Lose his Iranian passport to play for India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Omid Singh's dilemma - Lose his Iranian passport to play for India

This is a choice that very few people have to make, and it's really hard for Nassaji's Omid obviously.
    To "give up" his Iranian passport, essentially his iranian nationality, in order to play for India.

It's a "what would you do" situation. I can't put myself in his shoes because I don't have the same heritage as him (half Persian, half Punjabi). But I understand how difficult it is for him.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/69851350.cms

http://sportscafe.in/articles/footba...anian-passport

Reports | Omid Singh yet to decide on giving up Iranian passport

According to a TOI report, footballer Omid Singh is yet to decide to give up his Iranian passport to obtain an Indian one to be eligible to play for India. A senior AIFF official has also said that the federation will help Omid out in obtaining an Indian passport as per his decision.

With Indian football coach Igor Stimac wanting to add Iranian footballer Omid Singh into the Indian football team. Now, the big step is going to be taken by the Indian origin player himself. India doesn’t allow a person to have a dual passport and in order to obtain an Indian one, Omid will have to do away with the Iranian passport.

"It's a huge call for Omid. Certainly, he is a good player who could strengthen the India team but he must decide whether he wants to give up his Iranian passport and take up an Indian one. It's a cumbersome process and may take 15 months. If he makes up his mind, we can help him by speeding up the process," a senior AIFF official told TOI on Tuesday.

"Based on what he has heard, Stimac believes Omid can be an asset but we have to know what the player thinks. Stimac will not be here forever, and just because he has changed his passport (from Iranian to Indian), we cannot guarantee him a place in the Indian team. That can happen only on merit," said the official, adding that his wife is an Iranian.

Omid’s father is Punjabi while his mother is Iranian and he plays in the Iran Pro League for Nassaji FC. As per reports, the AIFF has already started discussing the passport issue with the manager of Omid.

PANAJI: Coach Igor Stimac wants to add Omid Singh to his new-look India side but the Iranian winger is yet to take a final call whether he wants to surrender his Iranian passport.

Singh, son of a Punjabi father and Iranian mother, has made a name for himself in Iran where he has excelled as a left-winger and full-back. He was recommended to Stimac as someone who could add to India's strengths.

The Croatian coach didn't mind having a look and is now awaiting a word from the Iranian, who plies his trade in the Iran Pro League with Nassaji FC.

India does not allow for dual passports and only those with an Indian passport are eligible to represent the country in international competitions.

"It's a huge call for Omid. Certainly, he is a good player who could strengthen the India team but he must decide whether he wants to give up his Iranian passport and take up an Indian one.

"It's a cumbersome process and may take 15 months. If he makes up his mind, we can help him by speeding up the process," a senior AIFF official told TOI on Tuesday.

The AIFF has already initiated discussions with the player's agent and explained the process to obtain an Indian passport.

There were reports that Singh would be added to the India campers for next month's Inter-Continental Cup but sources said that might be too soon, even though Stimac is keen to see how best he can make use of the Iranian.

"Based on what he has heard, Stimac believes Omid can be an asset but we have to know what the player thinks. Stimac will not be here forever, and just because he has changed his passport (from Iranian to Indian), we cannot guarantee him a place in the Indian team. That can happen only on merit," said the official, adding that his wife is an Iranian.

AIFF has in the past helped players obtain Indian passports. Prior to the Fifa U-17 World Cup 2017 in India, Canadian Sunny Dhaliwal obtained an Indian passport and was included in the India squad. He didn't get a game, and according to AIFF sources, it's much easier for a minor rather than someone lie Singh, who is 28.

Japanese midfielder Izumi Arata was the first person of Indian origin (PIO) to represent the country in 2013 when he took the field against Palestine in a friendly in Kochi. Arata, born to an Indian father and Japanese mother, spent six years in India before he could finally pull on the India jersey.

Comment

On wikipedia his nationality is changed to India even though he is born and grew up in Iran

Comment

This is a perfect example of why it's better not to mix and match.
        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
          This is a really ignorant statement which you have been making for years.

What if your son loves one of these so called 'non-humans' in your eyes. You going to send him packing?

Comment

Originally posted by arvin_guzoo View Post
            This is a really ignorant statement which you have been making for years.

What if your son loves one of these so called 'non-humans' in your eyes. You going to send him packing?
            he actually mentioned before that he already forbade his kids hanging out with non iranians. Exemplary stuff. Wonder if hes training them to gun down unarmed black kids as well. He seems like the "neighborhood watch" type.

Comment

I would move to India ASAP. What does Iran have to offer him?
              "History is a set of lies that people have agreed upon,"

Comment

Originally posted by inarsenewetrust View Post
                he actually mentioned before that he already forbade his kids hanging out with non iranians. Exemplary stuff. Wonder if hes training them to gun down unarmed black kids as well. He seems like the "neighborhood watch" type.
                That makes me sad. I expect this from people with low IQs or next to zero education. KC seems like a smart guy but when it comes to empathy for other humans, he is deff lacking in that department.

We are on this earth for a short time. Why hate? You'd think most want their children to live better lives....

Comment

If I was him I would never give up my Iranian passport/citizenship just to play for a crappy NT. If India wants him so badly they can find a way to get him.

Comment

Nevermind this dude. He's named after murdered child molester.
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_McElroy

Comment

Originally posted by Hormozgan View Post
                      Nevermind this dude. He's named after murdered child molester.
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_McElroy
                      Wtf?? Ok now he needs to explain his name.
                      "History is a set of lies that people have agreed upon,"

Comment

Originally posted by Iranianarsenal11 View Post
                        If I was him I would never give up my Iranian passport/citizenship just to play for a crappy NT. If India wants him so badly they can find a way to get him.
                        Is that why Arzani, Behrangi, Irandust, Eskandarian opted to play for a different country, because they considered Iran being a crappy NT? India has a lot of talent abroad, and this could become the start of a great project for Stimac. If other Indians unite (from other countries) and opt to play for India, they could become a powerhouse within months rather than years.

Comment

You are the proof that people with alleged education, can still be so backward. Man i really hope that your account is a satire project and you are fooling us with this racist bullshit.

Comment

Congratulations for posting one of the most ignorant comments on this board.

Comment

iran doesnt allow dual citizenship either right but everyone has two passports?

Comment

Working...
                              X